Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Paypal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100840)

Seriak 09-19-2013 08:16 PM

Paypal

Hey,

I just tried using paypal today to pay for some items I am sure my wife does not want me to tell her about after bringing home another fish yesterday. Anyways, it says I have reached my limit and I have to attach a bank account to continue to use paypal. Anyone else experience this. There is no way I am attaching a a bank account to paypal. I don't see any other options besides discontinued use of paypal. Comments? Suggestions?

reefme 09-19-2013 08:22 PM

Same here. I am not going to give them my acc. That why I can not buying anything from Madjelly. I can only buying from eBay.

Ross 09-19-2013 08:24 PM

I experienced the same thing many moons ago.
I talked to the bank about it and they reassured me that any unauthorized access to my accounts is covered with my plans insurance.

I created an account with $100 in it and gave paypal the info to it.
I still always pay with my Mastercard as they have a phenomenal insurance policy.

Seriak 09-19-2013 08:33 PM

I read some nightmare stories where holds were put on money for cancelled transactions which led to nightmares for the account holder. I guess I won't be able to use any vendor who only accepts paypal.

Coralgurl 09-19-2013 08:40 PM

I've had this experience as well and contacted the vendor for alternative payment arrangements. I like e transfers the best, no information provided to another party, once a vendor is set up, its super easy and fast.

Perhaps contact the vendor and ask for an alternative rather than miss out on a great purchase!

Seriak 09-19-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralgurl (Post 846239)
I've had this experience as well and contacted the vendor for alternative payment arrangements. I like e transfers the best, no information provided to another party, once a vendor is set up, its super easy and fast.

Perhaps contact the vendor and ask for an alternative rather than miss out on a great purchase!

The vendor already took my VISA. Just sad that I can't use paypal anymore as it was easier then remembering my VISA number.

thmh 09-19-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefme (Post 846231)
Same here. I am not going to give them my acc. That why I can not buying anything from Madjelly. I can only buying from eBay.

Have no fear! We take EMT:-)

~Tony

The Guy 09-19-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thmh (Post 846241)

~Tony

Yep! EMT is quick,easy & safe, I like it better than PP

kien 09-19-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seriak (Post 846229)
Hey,

I just tried using paypal today to pay for some items I am sure my wife does not want me to tell her about after bringing home another fish yesterday. Anyways, it says I have reached my limit and I have to attach a bank account to continue to use paypal. Anyone else experience this. There is no way I am attaching a a bank account to paypal. I don't see any other options besides discontinued use of paypal. Comments? Suggestions?

That's odd, I don't quite understand what limit you have reached? Presumably you have a CC attached to your paypal account? Doesn't PayPal just charge your CC on file? Or by limit do you mean that your CC on file has been maxed ?

Magickiwi 09-19-2013 09:28 PM

I've used PayPal for untold thousands of dollars of transactions and I've never heard that I've spent too much money and now need to add a bank account...

I suspect you may have been mislead somehow...

kien 09-19-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magickiwi (Post 846254)
I've used PayPal for untold thousands of dollars of transactions and I've never heard that I've spent too much money and now need to add a bank account...

I suspect you may have been mislead somehow...

I'm with you, I've transacted a lot of money through paypal and have never been told that I've reached any limit ? Unless of course you meant that the limit on y our Credit Card on file was reached :-) That can happen without PayPal though :lol:

michika 09-19-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thmh (Post 846241)

~Tony

Don't forget EMTs, assuming you're talking about Interact, only serve the major BANKS. They do not have an interface for credit unions or the non-big five. EMTs aren't a solution/alternative if you don't already use a large bank.

Proteus 09-19-2013 09:46 PM

8 years with bank acct and CC on pay pal. Never had a issue

sphelps 09-19-2013 09:51 PM

Never had that request either but I did have my bank account attached once a few years ago. One month a had an issue, some payments where being drawing out my account multiple times and it was a HUGE issue to sort out so I've since disconnected the account. The bank was literally no help at all in the matter, they won't typically take care of these issues like your CC company will. Plus with paypal issues you usually have to deal with them directly which usually isn't easy.

braid11 09-19-2013 09:58 PM

I too have used PayPal for thousands of dollars over many years. I have attached bank accounts and CCs. Never had an issue. When I buy or sell anything, I first put money into my PayPal account, and use it. I've never had PayPal draw direct from the accounts.

Tom

reefme 09-19-2013 10:06 PM

I created a $800.00 limit CC. For buying online. That's all they get. If they don't want it tough luck.

carnut 09-19-2013 10:57 PM

I set up a seperate account just for paypal. unrelated to any other of my accounts and keep 10 dollars in it. There is no bank charges except for withdrawals i never do If something should happen i'm out 10 bucks

reefme 09-19-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnut (Post 846277)
I set up a seperate account just for paypal. unrelated to any other of my accounts and keep 10 dollars in it. There is no bank charges except for withdrawals i never do If something should happen i'm out 10 bucks

That's what I was planning to do.

Skimmerking 09-19-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 846256)
I'm with you, I've transacted a lot of money through paypal and have never been told that I've reached any limit ? Unless of course you meant that the limit on y our Credit Card on file was reached :-) That can happen without PayPal though :lol:

I have bought thousands too on Skimmers on PP never heard of that ....

The Guy 09-19-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 846258)
Don't forget EMTs, assuming you're talking about Interact, only serve the major BANKS. They do not have an interface for credit unions or the non-big five. EMTs aren't a solution/alternative if you don't already use a large bank.

I use Aldergrove credit union here in Langley for EMT's, most credit unions offer the service. :wink:

jorjef 09-20-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 846259)
8 years with bank acct and CC on pay pal. Never had a issue

Ditto

intarsiabox 09-20-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 846260)
The bank was literally no help at all in the matter, they won't typically take care of these issues like your CC company will. Plus with paypal issues you usually have to deal with them directly which usually isn't easy.

It's actually really easy with PP, just go their website and fill out a claim form online. Paypal attempts to contact the seller and if they don't respond or provide a satisfactory conclusion to the transaction they withdraw the money back from the seller and put it back on your credit card. It takes all of 5 minutes. Unlike my credit card company that somehow accidently charged a transaction from someone else onto our card and it took hours and 3 separate phone calls to correct, it was only for a small amount which just made me madder that Visa was being so ignorant about it. I don't have a Visa card anymore.

As others have mentioned I to was told by PP that I needed a bank account attached to my account for "security" reasons. I set a separate bank account up for it but didn't like using it so I just called PP and they took it off my account and have never bothered me again about it. I suspect I could have just called to begin with and never attached the account at all, which is what I would suggest before going through the trouble of adding a bank account to PP.

MarkoD 09-20-2013 02:05 AM

I've been paying with my bank account for over 8 years. Never a problem.

Now you can even defer the payment until you receive the product

gregzz4 09-20-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 846295)
Ditto

Double ditto

Probably close to 10 years and never an issue
I've used both my chequing and CC accounts
Getting close to 50 transactions through e-bay and I'll bet I've done just as many outside of e-bay

I'd contact them if I were you to see what is up with the 'limit' thing

sphelps 09-20-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intarsiabox (Post 846300)
It's actually really easy with PP, just go their website and fill out a claim form online. Paypal attempts to contact the seller and if they don't respond or provide a satisfactory conclusion to the transaction they withdraw the money back from the seller and put it back on your credit card. It takes all of 5 minutes. Unlike my credit card company that somehow accidently charged a transaction from someone else onto our card and it took hours and 3 separate phone calls to correct, it was only for a small amount which just made me madder that Visa was being so ignorant about it. I don't have a Visa card anymore.

As others have mentioned I to was told by PP that I needed a bank account attached to my account for "security" reasons. I set a separate bank account up for it but didn't like using it so I just called PP and they took it off my account and have never bothered me again about it. I suspect I could have just called to begin with and never attached the account at all, which is what I would suggest before going through the trouble of adding a bank account to PP.

Actually no it's not always that simple, Paypal actually doesn't cover many types of transactions, for example anything sent to non-verified vendors. I've been told by paypal before that they won't do anything I have to work it with the seller despite not receiving anything and not having any contact info other than an email they don't reply to. As for the unauthorized transactions I had, they originally claimed there was no transaction until I sent bank records then they claimed it was a subscription service I authorized even though it was a single item purchased through ebay. They eventually realized the mistake but it was far from easy, for example try and call paypal to actually talk to someone, bet you can't do it :lol: All you can get is generic auto generated emails.

reefme 09-20-2013 02:49 AM

Wait till you do.

intarsiabox 09-20-2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 846309)
Actually no it's not always that simple, Paypal actually doesn't cover many types of transactions, for example anything sent to non-verified vendors. I've been told by paypal before that they won't do anything I have to work it with the seller despite not receiving anything and not having any contact info other than an email they don't reply to. As for the unauthorized transactions I had, they originally claimed there was no transaction until I sent bank records then they claimed it was a subscription service I authorized even though it was a single item purchased through ebay. They eventually realized the mistake but it was far from easy, for example try and call paypal to actually talk to someone, bet you can't do it :lol: All you can get is generic auto generated emails.

Odd that paypal would have non-verified vendors when the vendors would have to set up an account with paypal to use the services, I would think anyway. Sounds like someone at PP just didn't want to do their job. I guess in the end no system is infallible and issues will arise no matter the method of payment. For me I've only had one issue with paypal and one with my credit card and I buy a lot of my stuff on-line now so I can't really complain. Both issues were dealt with and didn't happen again. I actually did get to talk to a real person at PP in less than a minute but this was close to 2 years ago now and I haven't had a reason to call them since. Sounds like you've had more trouble than I.

intarsiabox 09-20-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 846304)
I've been paying with my bank account for over 8 years. Never a problem.

Now you can even defer the payment until you receive the product

This is my one issue I ever had with paypal that made me pull my bank account from them. I was told too that my money would not be withdrawn until I received the product so rather than transferring in the cash from my chequing account into my bank account for paypal right away I waited until the next day. Low and behold I found I had a negative balance in my account because paypal withdrew the money immediately so my bank charged me a small fee for this. After talking to a couple fake managers and finally getting a real one they reimbursed me the bank fee and removed my bank account from paypal. This all happened when they first started this deferred payment stuff and I'm sure they have it down pat by now and the idea is well meaning enough.

reef-keeper 09-20-2013 04:25 PM

Never used Paypal at all. I set up a visa account just for these types of purchases. $1500.00 limit.

baker_jeff 09-20-2013 04:53 PM

I used Paypal for hundreds of thousands of transactions, it is attached to my business account. Never any issues. I wouldn't be worried about anything happening to it. As suggested, just open up a different bank account and use that for Paypal. Easy :)

reefme 09-20-2013 05:07 PM

In life protect yourself rather than assuming. Never know what will happen.

Seriak 09-20-2013 05:54 PM

Just to clear things up. If you don't verify your account you have a lifetime limit. Essentially they are telling me that I cannot send anymore money to vendors until I attach a bank account. This is there response to my concerns.

"Your Withdrawal limit is already lifted, the limit that you need to lift is your Sending limit. Sending limit is the maximum amount of money which you can use for your purchases or sending money online. This can be lifted by getting a verified in PayPal.

Right now, adding and confirming the bank account is the only way to get verified in PayPal. We are currently working on other methods or options to get your PayPal account verified. We will notify you immediately for any updates that we will have in the future."

There are hundreds of anti-paypal sites because of this and other problems with paypal that I did not know about until I was investigating this issue. I think I will stay away from paypal for now.

Delphinus 09-20-2013 07:01 PM

I got the exact same line from paypal when I asked if there was a different method for verifying. That was at LEAST 5 years ago, maybe more like 8 years actually ... so don't count on those options coming anytime soon.

The biggest issue I have is that this verification thing vs bank account attachment, is that it only applies to Canadians (at least when I ran into it, if you were in the U.S. you could become verified simply by attaching a credit card.) That double standard irks me and I sort of drew a line in the sand over that. Further insult to injury is that it used to be different for Canadians, I know several people who signed up before me were able to get verified status just with a credit card. So again, that just irked me.

I haven't hit upon my spending limit yet though .. although it probably comes from that I only use paypal when it is an absolute last resort, there is utterly no other option available and it's something I can't get from a different vendor who can offer me better payment terms.

I guess if I hit the limit, either I will just decide to end my relationship with paypal altogether, or perhaps I will setup some kind of throwaway bank account that I can use. I would need to have a really big incentive to motivate me to do that, however.

Also, having been hit with identity fraud a few years ago, I've since taken a hard line approach to who gets access to my primary bank account. Paypal is a U.S. company, not a Canadian bank, I don't know what implications can come of this: I figure if I don't cross that line then I don't even have to worry about missing a mortgage payment and taking that hit on my credit rating all because of a bad ebay purchase or who knows what.

Aquattro 09-21-2013 08:18 PM

I just hi my sending limit today. Either they fix that or I don't use their services anymore.