Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   150g drop down L reef tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89673)

Salt2Death 09-11-2012 08:03 PM

150g drop down L reef tank

So a big move across Alberta, new house in a new town means.... You guessed it "New Tank!"

Not so fast- not so simple as a cube, bow front, rectangle or nano...

We decided to build an L shape tank for our newest tank. We seen a few L tanks in the past but decided to change that up to. Instead of on it's side we decided "let's drop it down!". One tank, two depths with out a wall to split em apart. "WoW," my wife loves the idea and lucky for me she is arms deep in it as well as me! Now we had to find a builder.... Lucky for me in Edmonton I find a pure glass artist, Neil (Glassdude). We passed some conversations, ideas, and BAM we decide to go all in at it.....
I'll post pics as we go further into this and what I chose to use for equipment along this build....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salt2Death 09-11-2012 08:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Starting the stand for out endeavor Attachment 9974Attachment 9975Attachment 9976Attachment 9977

Aquattro 09-11-2012 08:12 PM

Looks like it's going to be an interesting build!!

cuz 09-11-2012 08:25 PM

Looks great!!
Puts the pressure on the tank builder to be 100% accurate having the stand built already!!

Salt2Death 09-11-2012 08:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now we wait on Neil to work his magic!
He called and said the tempering bust two sides so he was Cut'n new ones and getting them tempered ASAP!
(That guy goes all out for his customers, never lets you down and goes the extra mile!)
For now we work on the Sump room, under the stairs, small but way more space than under a the tank. Attachment 9978Attachment 9979

Two 150 phosban reactors, (carbon/phosphate media)
Vertex 250 in dump
Mag 24 return pump
2 x 4" filter socks
Refuge (still deciding on algae or rock chunks.... open to ideas)

Salt2Death 09-11-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuz (Post 745201)
Looks great!!
Puts the pressure on the tank builder to be 100% accurate having the stand built already!!

Ha Ha Ha, it's 6" longer both sides to compensate and in case a hight difference the top is not in yet. I have all the faith in the world in Neil lol!

Thanx for the compliment, we are building it all ourselves 100% (outside the tank)

riceboy 09-11-2012 08:50 PM

Love the idea to make that at the entrance, i might have to steal that idea lol

Salt2Death 09-11-2012 09:21 PM

Ha Ha Ha, figured if your going to show case a beautiful aquarium why hide it in the basement!
And let's be honest, who doesn't enjoy showing off their aquarium.

chris88 09-11-2012 10:30 PM

The molding looks awesome!

Acipenser 09-11-2012 10:41 PM

You tease us with this - I cant wait !

Seriak 09-11-2012 11:01 PM

Did you have to reinforce the floor underneath it?

Salt2Death 09-11-2012 11:24 PM

Main Beam Runs Under It....
That's another reason I picked the stairwell. It's an outside wall with a cross beam right along it!
(good catch)

subman 09-12-2012 12:48 AM

Love this idea! Neil built my tank and I couldn't be happier. Tagging along, can't wait to see more!

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 02:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Neil has Been Amazing!
(I hope this drums up more business for him, he deserves every bit!)
Here is what he built me last-->
90g
36x24x24 internal overflow
Euro braced
Attachment 9980Attachment 9981Attachment 9982

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

mataconda 09-12-2012 03:12 AM

http://winnipegfishforum.info/forum/...?topic=39534.0

Here is fairly well detailed build from the winnipeg site. Hope it helps a little.

gridley 09-12-2012 03:24 AM

This is s looking very interesting! You have some great ideas. I see you are in Whitecourt - We moved from there to Calgary 6 years ago - hope you enjoy Whitecourt as much as we did.

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 03:40 AM

Was there anyone else here into this OCD hobby?

gridley 09-12-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt2Death (Post 745339)
Was there anyone else here into this OCD hobby?

Although we have had a very long interest in the hobby, we didn't start until this spring. However, I never met anyone in Wct with more than a freshwater system.

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gridley (Post 745343)
Although we have had a very long interest in the hobby, we didn't start until this spring. However, I never met anyone in Wct with more than a freshwater system.

Oh well, thank you anyway!!

gregzz4 09-12-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mataconda (Post 745324)
http://winnipegfishforum.info/forum/...?topic=39534.0

Here is fairly well detailed build from the winnipeg site. Hope it helps a little.

That one is on here ....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 05:06 AM

Unlike that- we are building an "L"/ not a box with baffles and hiding it with the stand.....
Sorry but that's no drop down, that is a cop out. After the HARD WORK Neil has poured into this tank even I'm kinda drawn back by that "smoke and mirrors set-up"

It's nice, but it's just a box with a box inside....

gregzz4 09-12-2012 05:09 AM

I wasn't comparing yours with their's, just pointing out that it's on Canreef

Tell Neil to hurry up already :smile:

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 05:16 AM

I get you, I just overly want to stress in all this build that Neil has gone to lengths up and beyond. He has had 2 huge pieces get damaged by the temper furnace operators. Then all hours rushed back to cut the two 1/2 think "L's" to get us back on track.
I just want to give him that glory for his perfectionistic quality and pure attention to detail! Guy is an Artist!
(he said it will be ready for pick up on Monday.... Here's hoping no more hiccups!)

noirsphynx 09-12-2012 05:23 AM

This is going to be an awesome build, can't wait to see it done.

PS - your house is identical to mine from the pics(even the view out the window is the same, lol) and I have a tank in the same spot but not as well thought out as yours. Knocking out that half wall would have been the way to go but I don't think my husband would have allowed it, lol.

doch 09-12-2012 01:25 PM

Holy crap Mike! How did you get that all done so quick!? Didn't you just leave the Mac last week? Looks like it's going to be awesome! What are you planning for powerheads/wavemakers? Lights... did you decide to go with the sols?

I know how good Neil's prices are (and how good his work is), but this build has got to be PRICEY!!! Should be well worth it though.

Something to consider... in/outside of your refugium, build an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS). I plan on it, but haven't had the time. Thery're supposed to work VERY well for nutrient reduction. Run a google search on DIY ATS.

Good luck man!

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 02:43 PM

Thanx Johnny!

It cost much more than the last one, but Neil still is the best price and only one I'd trust to pull it together!

I'll put a list of what I have so far-

reefwars 09-12-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt2Death (Post 745366)
Unlike that- we are building an "L"/ not a box with baffles and hiding it with the stand.....
Sorry but that's no drop down, that is a cop out.

whats the difference in the end??

heres another drop down tank i hope its to your "liking":mrgreen:

what your doing isnt new its just jumping on the band wagon that other people created.....ill drop back when the idea becomes origional

edit*** forgot the pic lol

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-conten...f-lps-reef.jpg

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 03:56 PM

In the end- the difference is in my opinion like ATM's fake reef inserts in a reef tank I guess.

I'm really defending the pure hard work and craftsmanship Neil has to do to take on this build. An "L" is an "L" and a box in a box is just a box in a box I guess... Lol

reefwars 09-12-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt2Death (Post 745466)
In the end- the difference is in my opinion like ATM's fake reef inserts in a reef tank I guess.

I'm really defending the pure hard work and craftsmanship Neil has to do to take on this build. An "L" is an "L" and a box in a box is just a box in a box I guess... Lol

sure ....and im just pointing out that your idea ...like the fakes you call it...is not your idea...or neils....sure neil does great work, but none the less this is an idea that has been done by lots and lots and lots of people...just go to RC and see.....

your build looks great but why post it if you dont want any feedback or ideas??? seems cocky and rude to me what you said earlier so ill give you the same courtesy back....sorry

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 04:00 PM

Yet another pic of a box in a box...
Ha Ha Ha
I guess it's still far more original than a cube or the same old rectangle with a few minor tweaks... LoL

I had all of those, we just thought the True Drop L might add some challenge and visual interests... Deep end softies.. Shallow SPS...

But I mean not to knock those tanks at all, anyone in salt is Grade A to me!

reefwars 09-12-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt2Death (Post 745470)
Yet another pic of a box in a box...
Ha Ha Ha
I guess it's still far more original than a cube or the same old rectangle with a few minor tweaks... LoL

I had all of those, we just thought the True Drop L might add some challenge and visual interests... Deep end softies.. Shallow SPS...

But I mean not to knock those tanks at all, anyone in salt is Grade A to me!

have you been to RC?? theres literally dozens and dozens of them....im sure they are all fake boxes inside boxes ....gl with your build

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 04:08 PM

No, but I'll look- Maybe they have some plumbing fixes I foresee as issues...
Maybe some are not jut a box in a box. Lol. I'm positive there are some stunners there.

Thanx-

reefwars 09-12-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt2Death (Post 745474)
No, but I'll look- Maybe they have some plumbing fixes I foresee as issues...
Maybe some are not jut a box in a box. Lol. I'm positive there are some stunners there.

Thanx-

there is for sure , im not rying to be an ass but you were basically calling someones hard work and effort a cop-out and a fake. in the end like you said, its all what you see, whether or not its a box in a box its still someones work in the end.

anyways gl and cheers:)

sphelps 09-12-2012 04:18 PM

I get what you're saying about trying to keep things a little more authentic but personally I don't see the point. If you build the stand properly there is no way you could tell the difference and you could seal that inner box to eliminate any dead water space. You're paying for the extra glass anyway and on top of that the extra time involved to build it. So for the extra money what exactly are you achieving? Well for one a stress point at the corner of the L which also happens to be the point where the highest bending stress occurs so really not a great combination. The other thing you've achieved is the task of making sure the stand step profile matches the tank perfectly, while perhaps not that difficult it's certainly no advantage. I think going box in box is better option all around, better structural integrity & cheaper.

Anyway love the build so far just didn't seem right IMO to call out other tanks as none drop offs.

MarkoD 09-12-2012 04:40 PM

Are you putting styrofoam under the tank? What if the deep and shallow ends don't compress the styrofoam equally? Won't it crack at the inside corner?

Salt2Death 09-12-2012 05:42 PM

We are going to match the stand 100% to the shape of the tank. Foam yes, even though on side is going to compress more- that's what the foam is there to do, even out the stress.

1" foam to redistribute the completion, let's inside sink deep than the other with out added stress!

(or so the math sez)

Fingers crossed!!!

Salt2Death 09-13-2012 04:59 PM

Random Thought Hey.....
Today while looking into my make shift holding tank while our build continues- I noticed one of my Feather Dusters moved into a recently vacated large snail shell. Got to admit, I love the little guys ingenuity!

Salt2Death 09-15-2012 02:46 AM

Lots of info...
Great detailed info!

Thanx guys

Salt2Death 09-15-2012 03:56 AM

Today a dual 4" sock holder....
Tomorrow Baffles! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/javyde4y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/e5ada4a5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/15/4uza6a5a.jpg

Salt2Death 09-18-2012 10:04 PM

New pump Via FishyFishy! And delivered Via CodFather (Big thanx Guys!!!!!!!)

Amazing people on here for sure!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/19/5y4y2yna.jpg

Tank is getting picked up Friday from the "Master Of Glass!" (never a disaster!)
--------- NEIL! ----------

To excited for words!