Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jebao Pumps - Illegal? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102051)

DAVE 11-04-2013 11:19 AM

Jebao Pumps - Illegal?

So I am hearing a lot of different information regarding the sale and operation of these pumps, particularly the WP-25/WP-40.

Are these pumps certified for use in Canada? If something should happen to cause a fire would you insurance cover the damages? (say faulty power supply)???

monocus 11-04-2013 03:25 PM

wp40

the box says its a low voltage system and to keep controllers away from water-other than that -nothing

DAVE 11-04-2013 06:01 PM

My concerns are about the rumors of the electrical certifications not being legit.

craigwmiller 11-04-2013 06:42 PM

Hmm, there are also 2 versions of the power supply. The original constant voltage supply, and the optional (which ships with new units - like the 2 WP-40's I have) variable voltage supply.

Do you know which one is being called out?

Also, do you have links/references to the potential problem reports?

xenon 11-04-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrologist (Post 856475)
My concerns are about the rumors of the electrical certifications not being legit.

You will be hard pressed to find any pump on the market that has CSA certification.

nrosdal 11-04-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon (Post 856486)
You will be hard pressed to find any pump on the market that has CSA certification.

What he said...

Also, as Canada corals went through with their beautiful set up with a not so intelligent inspector. You only need the ul and csa for hard wired applications of fixtures.

DAVE 11-04-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrosdal (Post 856488)
What he said...

Also, as Canada corals went through with their beautiful set up with a not so intelligent inspector. You only need the ul and csa for hard wired applications of fixtures.

I agree. But the certification on the Jebao which is valid in Canada is 'rumored' to be just writing on the pump without any actual certification process. i.e. they just put it on there to please the people, but in actuality it is not certified.

Since you sell these pumps can you confirm the certification process from the manufacturer in China?

DAVE 11-04-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigwmiller (Post 856484)
Hmm, there are also 2 versions of the power supply. The original constant voltage supply, and the optional (which ships with new units - like the 2 WP-40's I have) variable voltage supply.

Do you know which one is being called out?

Also, do you have links/references to the potential problem reports?

Sorry I do not. Just something I have heard amongst hobbyists and vendors. I am hoping the ones selling the pumps can verify the markings are valid.

Just hoping to squash the rumors, as I do really like these pumps.

nrosdal 11-04-2013 07:36 PM

If you just go to their website it says they have obtained more certs as in UL, CUL, ect. But on all products that i have of theirs they are just CE which is common for most products and manufacturers (even the bigger guys). I am sure that once they add the UL to the products i will be able to get documentation with them. I will request info on the certs and post here what i get back. But even with just the CE you are fine. Just don't cut off the plug and hard wire it in.

DAVE 11-04-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrosdal (Post 856494)
If you just go to their website it says they have obtained more certs as in UL, CUL, ect. But on all products that i have of theirs they are just CE which is common for most products and manufacturers (even the bigger guys). I am sure that once they add the UL to the products i will be able to get documentation with them. I will request info on the certs and post here what i get back. But even with just the CE you are fine. Just don't cut off the plug and hard wire it in.

That is AWESOME!

Can't wait to see what you find out. Thank you.

xenon 11-04-2013 08:58 PM

From what I was told, CE certification means nothing and will not be accepted by the ESA.

uniboob 11-04-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon (Post 856529)
From what I was told, CE certification means nothing and will not be accepted by the ESA.

This is what I have read and heard as well. CE is only a valid standard in Europe, and basically just means Chinese export.

Cal_stir 11-04-2013 10:15 PM

I will double check tomorrow when I go to work, I will give my ESA guy a call and verify CE, I am pretty sure it is accepted.

Cal_stir 11-04-2013 10:33 PM

The CE certification is irrelevant because it has the c UL us, provided it's not counterfit.

http://www.esasafe.com/assets/image/...Oct%202013.png

DAVE 11-04-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal_stir (Post 856570)
....provided it's not counterfit.

Should they have documentation to prove the c UL us code?

Cal_stir 11-04-2013 11:06 PM

The manufacturer of the power supply should have it, there is a place on the ESA website where you can see if it is listed.

AquaticFinatic 11-05-2013 02:08 AM

I. Can't prove it but their claim to be ul etc is not true. Long story but it's counterfeit from what I was told. This is a big deal right now and ce means nothing here. Wp pumps are illegal across the country but Alberta and Quebec have less rules on this type of thing.

AquaticFinatic 11-05-2013 02:11 AM

Forgot to mention from what I was told if your house burns down from this pump your insurance won't pay. I would love more clarification on this problem.

warriorcookie 11-05-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaticFinatic (Post 856611)
Forgot to mention from what I was told if your house burns down from this pump your insurance won't pay. I would love more clarification on this problem.

Told by whom?

My "wall wart" AC/DC adapter has the http://www.ul.com/global/digitalasse...s/cuslisth.gif certification.
Unless this is a fake, it's recognized in Canada in every province as far as I know.(Source)

nrosdal 11-05-2013 03:10 AM

I am waiting to hear back on anything other then the CE rating from Jebao. They are in no way illegal for anyone and if you are concerned with the csa stamp you should probably get rid of your wavelive/speedwave/diablo dc pumps as well.

I also have not seen ul or csa stamped on anything from them ever. So to say they are fraudulently doing so because they announced on their site to recently have gotten those certs (which may be on all or only some products they make) seems out of line unless you have something proving that.

Treebeard 11-05-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Unless your insurance agent told you this tidbit it's nothing more than fear mongering.

AdamsB 11-05-2013 05:06 AM

Sounds like a rumour started by ecotech.

DAVE 11-05-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrosdal (Post 856620)
I am waiting to hear back on anything other then the CE rating from Jebao. They are in no way illegal for anyone and if you are concerned with the csa stamp you should probably get rid of your wavelive/speedwave/diablo dc pumps as well.

I also have not seen ul or csa stamped on anything from them ever. So to say they are fraudulently doing so because they announced on their site to recently have gotten those certs (which may be on all or only some products they make) seems out of line unless you have something proving that.

Nick, just relax.

You can't be that oblivious to the talks across the forms/facebook that the markings MAY have been counterfeit. You also can't be that naive to think a product out of China would fake such a marking. All we are doing is trying to find out the truth.

If the pumps are legit, end of discussion. The point of the thread is to squash the rumors and find out the truth. If they are certified there should be no issues getting the paperwork.

uniboob 11-05-2013 12:21 PM

I think because it is being submerged in water/around hazardous environment makes them NEED to have certification.

From ESA site:

The OESC Rule 2-022(3) (c) specifies some exceptions to electrical product approval requirements. Electrical equipment does not require approval if it connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V

warriorcookie 11-05-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniboob (Post 856661)
I think because it is being submerged in water/around hazardous environment makes them NEED to have certification.

From ESA site:

The OESC Rule 2-022(3) (c) specifies some exceptions to electrical product approval requirements. Electrical equipment does not require approval if it connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V

uniboob, you're close. The powerhead itself does not need the certification, submerged or not. This is because the powerhead operates at 24V which falls below the 100V requirement.

It's the Class 2 power supply (the "Wall Wart", AC/DC converter) that needs the certification.

I have yet to see anyone produce a shred of information that confirms that the certification is faked. There's alot of "I've heard" and "I know for a fact", but no-one is producing a credible source...

kien 11-05-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital (Post 856671)
Also, the UL approval label seems to be counterfeit.

Regards,

What does "seems to be" mean? Does that mean yes, it is, and without any doubt or reservation, or does that mean, "well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't" ?

also.. :pop2:

byee 11-05-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Absolutely correct about your house insurance not covering damages caused by a non CSA approved device.

For the ones in BC, there is a safety office you can take your electrical devices to get it approved by the BC Safety board. I can't remember what the office is called but it was located in Richmond located near the tech companies. I remember taking samples of computer power supplies to them when I was importing them.

Good luck!

jorjef 11-05-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 856675)
What does "seems to be" mean? Does that mean yes, it is, and without any doubt or reservation, or does that mean, "well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't" ?

I would say it means... "just make it sound like it's kinda bad if you can't prove it "

:lol:

uniboob 11-05-2013 02:29 PM

Jebao Pumps - Illegal?

Thanks for the clarification, I was going to call ESA inspector to come do a field evaluation as I know a few around here.

Reef Pilot 11-05-2013 03:22 PM

Just curious, are DIY LED fixtures, and other DIY devices involving electricity (eg. ATO switches) illegal, and no insurance coverage if there is a fire?

Aquattro 11-05-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 856688)
Just curious, are DIY LED fixtures, and other DIY devices involving electricity (eg. ATO switches) illegal, and no insurance coverage if there is a fire?

I was thinking the same thing :)

jorjef 11-05-2013 03:32 PM

Can you here the crickets?? Good question, let the panic ensue.

kien 11-05-2013 03:33 PM

I think the moral of this story is that if you're going to burn down your house with non approved electrical hardware, then just make sure that the equipment in question has completely disintegrated beyond all recognition. Problem solved. Thank me later.

Aquattro 11-05-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 856690)
Can you here the crickets?? Good question, let the panic ensue.

I know for certain that any electrical project I undertake is much more likely to light my house on fire than any factory produced equipment. So far Brad's projects, 2 fires, counterfeit sticker items, 0.

Reef Pilot 11-05-2013 03:40 PM

And does this mean I should disconnect my DIY water sensor (connected to my Apex IO Breakout Box) that shuts down my pumps if I have a water leak or spill?

Seriak 11-05-2013 03:49 PM

In my research of LED's I read this.

"Low voltage LED lights do not require these seals as they are required only for line voltage (AC) devices"

I also read the following.

"products that are considered “low voltage devices” by UL do not require UL approval. These devices utilize voltages ranging from 0 to 24VDC and do not have intrinsic safety requirements or other safety requirements for which UL approval would be required."

The Guy 11-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorcookie (Post 856667)
uniboob, you're close. The powerhead itself does not need the certification, submerged or not. This is because the powerhead operates at 24V which falls below the 100V requirement.

It's the Class 2 power supply (the "Wall Wart", AC/DC converter) that needs the certification.

I have yet to see anyone produce a shred of information that confirms that the certification is faked. There's alot of "I've heard" and "I know for a fact", but no-one is producing a credible source...

Ok here's a picture of the power AC/DC converter that came with my Jebao wp25 wavemaker, also on the side of the converter there is a slide switch to choose the DC voltage. Better start getting rid of all your lap-tops & monitors LOL!! I'm sure there's millions of these out there.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...ps84f559e0.jpg

jorjef 11-05-2013 03:54 PM

I'm still getting out of this hobby. It's all a death trap.... Who ever thought mixing water and electricity would carry so many risks...Brad if you're ever out this way I would like to contract you for a little basement reno I have being mulling about.

Jeff000 11-05-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniboob (Post 856661)

From ESA site:

This. The fact that it's plugged in is what makes it OK.

Insurance will still cover you, they cover if your cigarette burns your house down.

warriorcookie 11-05-2013 04:01 PM

Ya, I also checked the UL Online Certifications Directory. The manufacture listed on the AC/DC adapter (Shenzhen Borasen Technology) shows no results. Jebao does come up with multiple certificates, but all are older and none list WP25, WP40, etc...

I intend to continue using mine, but I'll be replacing my AC/DC adapters with ones that have a legitimate UL certification.

As far as DIY LED's:
Quote:

So, the voltage between the driver and the LED's most times is below 100v. But the mains voltage to the driver most certainly is above. Check your drivers, there should be a certificate stamped there too.

Switches for ATO's are below the 100V as well.

On a side note, some of my USB wall chargers have the UL stamp, but many of the random ones I have do not...