Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   So, what did everyone score on Boxing Day? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81433)

fishytime 12-27-2011 03:23 AM

So, what did everyone score on Boxing Day?

I know there was a shopping list thread before boxing day.....just curious if everyone stuck to their lists or ended up with a little more than what was on their lists???:twised:

I ended up with three small yellow tangs for the tank when it gets set up in Edmonton (Lauries gonna babysit them for me til then) and I picked up a Lyretail hawkfish ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...203&pcatid=203 ) for Laurie......fairly tame:biggrin:

so show off what you-all got:wink::mrgreen:

Coralgurl 12-27-2011 03:34 AM

A mystery wrasse and 10 snails. Just decided I should have grabbed a uv sterilizer but just thought of it now....not a big shopping day for me!

Lance 12-27-2011 03:40 AM

Nice score on the Hawkfish Doug. Feed that guy well as he has a big mouth!
I didn't buy much today but I did order another Osmolator.

ScubaSteve 12-27-2011 03:41 AM

6" acro colony. Still trying to ID but it's either A. Granulosa or a. Elegens. Nice white with purple tips!

Nano 12-27-2011 03:43 AM

My Wife and I gt a few pails of Reef crystals and Ordered some wood on sale at home depot for our stand lol. and a bunch of maternity clothes!

cale262 12-27-2011 03:44 AM

2 more Ecotech Radions, a couple team Canada jerseys to wear to the WJC games...I actually had quite the extensive list but after spending almost an hour just trying to navigate through the traffic in south Edmonton common this morning, I came to the quick conclusion that sitting in front of my tank today was a better option than shopping.

fishytime 12-27-2011 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 664848)
Nice score on the Hawkfish Doug. Feed that guy well as he has a big mouth!

its going in Lauries tank and so, believe me it will be WELL fed:razz:

lpsreefer 12-27-2011 03:53 AM

I had to work at ten so I couldn't do much shopping I did manage to get 9 boxs of reef salt and 3 io salt boxes, 2 new heaters, and new t5 bulbs. Would have liked to get more or even check out more stores.

intarsiabox 12-27-2011 03:58 AM

Salt, skimmer and substrate for my new tank. Sadly I had to miss out on a lot of really good deals on livestock as they wouldn't live very long in my waterless tank.

Seamazter 12-27-2011 04:04 AM

I got wet hands and salt stained sleeves.

The Grizz 12-27-2011 04:06 AM

Luckily a buddy grabbed me 2 boxes of Reef Crystals & 20 Mexican Turbo Snails for me in Edmonton. :biggrin:

Lampshade 12-27-2011 04:07 AM

picked up a bunch of replacement hardware(PH probe, refractometer, etc), salt, food, snails, shrimp... typical boxing day stuff. Then picked up a duncan coral for my wife, and a red planet frag for me... can't wait for this thing to grow, I can almost see it growing already if I look REALLY close. lol.

MKLKT 12-27-2011 04:08 AM

- Red/white coco worm
- 3" tuxedo urchin
- Bunch of hermits & peppermint shrimp
- 4" golden poci colony with its very own purple and orange poci/acro crab

6-12 mos worth of frozen food, seaweed

Lance 12-27-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 664856)
its going in Lauries tank and so, believe me it will be WELL fed:razz:

Hehe. I'm so glad you each have your own tank. A fish person and a coral person simply won't work in one tank:

Doug: "Damn it Laurie, you're poisoning my corals with all that fish food! It's a bloody nitrate factory!"

Laurie:[i] "If you had it your way Dougie Dear, I'd have only three skinny little fish in the tank!"

fishytime 12-27-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamazter (Post 664864)
I got wet hands and salt stained sleeves.

:lol:that makes two of us.....it was crazy busy most of the day

fishytime 12-27-2011 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 664877)
Hehe. I'm so glad you each have your own tank. A fish person and a coral person simply won't work in one tank:

Doug: "Damn it Laurie, you're poisoning my corals with all that fish food! It's a bloody nitrate factory!"

Laurie:[i] "If you had it your way Dougie Dear, I'd have only three skinny little fish in the tank!"

:lol:you nailed it man!......I told her I would HAVE to set up my own tank when I get there.....no ifs, ands, or buts about it:mrgreen:.....mind you my tank now has quite a few skinny fish in it

dsaundry 12-27-2011 06:23 AM

Pretty nice day today, A leopard wrasse, a watchman goby, a niger trigger afew additives and a nice day with my son, lunch at the Mongolie Grill, the fish are great but spending some dad/son time was really the best, He has his own life so when we get together without the spouses it is always a blast.:biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-27-2011 06:47 AM

Worked at an LFS in Burnaby all day to help out my friend Robert and the boss, Ron. Ended up bagging most of the fish and corals I wanted for other people, but that just made it by far my least expensive Boxing Day in over a decade.

Picked up some nice corals beforehand (some from the LFS & some from local reefers), including a neon green Aussie favia, Aussie red brain, Med. Squamosa, Aussie gold wall anchor, huge green open brain and some nice frogspawn. So Boxing Day was cheap but the week before was not:redface:

MMAX 12-27-2011 11:57 AM

GHL dosing pump. The best part was I didn't have to leave the house but now I have to find time to get to Red Coral to pick it up.

christyf5 12-27-2011 02:00 PM

New mh bulbs and some filter socks have maxed out the last room on my cc. Hooefully there will be some salt sales locally in the new year as there wasnt any room for that.

ALang 12-27-2011 02:37 PM

Got a MP40W es for Xmas!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:
The I lucked out at Red Coral Edm for the door-crasher of another MP40W es!!!!!:mrgreen: (thanks, Steve, I NEVER was fast enough for these great deals in the past!)
A mystery wrasse and SPS frags, and new anemone I am trying to grow out for my clowns (to replace the gigantic condy that they have right now).
Lots of salt from Blue World (plus assorted pre-christmas sale to beat the crowd).
Another batch of salt for an out-of-town friend...man, he'd better have gotten us some awesome corals in Calgary!

WOW. A great Christmas.

MarkoD 12-27-2011 02:40 PM

Boxes of salt, vertex in250 skimmer, frags, and LEDs for refugium.

BMW Rider 12-27-2011 02:46 PM

Didn't have time to get into the store, but managed to catch the online deal for a Vertex illumina 260 36" LED light unit from Red Coral Online. :biggrin:

Watch for my MH/VHO light setup in the ads soon

mark 12-27-2011 03:08 PM

6 pails of IO so good for a bit

MarkoD 12-27-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 664946)
6 pails of IO so good for a bit

pails or boxes?

how much were the pails?

fishoholic 12-27-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 664877)

:pound: So true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 664896)
:lol:you nailed it man!......I told her I would HAVE to set up my own tank when I get there.....no ifs, ands, or buts about it:mrgreen:.....mind you my tank now has quite a few skinny fish in it

You didn't have to tell me, I know I can't keep coral alive (because of overfeeding and highish nitrates and nippy angels) so there's no way I want to be responsible for your corals. Much easier for you to have your own tank :biggrin:

I got 12 boxes of IO salt, easyblade replacement blades, Rio nano skimmer filters, and some fish.

Got up really early to be the first to get a bluespot jawfish (which I did make it there before anyone else) but unfortunately none of them looked very good so I passed and I got a yasha goby pistol shrimp pair instead.

They also had a gorgeous line spot flasher wrasse that took major will power to pass up. I passed because my mystery wrasse would most likely chase it out of the tank :sad:
http://www.qualitymarine.com/Graphic...ge/1337477.jpg

Also got a super fat Caribbean pipefish and a freckled hawkfish. I'll post pic's
of the yasha and the pipefish in the 34g tank journal right away and when I get a pic of Mr. freckles (he's in the fowlr) I'll post a pic of him.

mark 12-27-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 664948)
pails or boxes?

how much were the pails?

with discount $39 for the pails

MarkoD 12-27-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 664964)
with discount $39 for the pails

Where was that?

BlueWorldAquatic 12-27-2011 04:33 PM

If you need salt we have lots in stock still

I scored spending time with family that was all in town together from all over the world for my uncles 80th B-day on Boxing Day!

I beat you all on deals. :biggrin:

lastlight 12-27-2011 06:03 PM

I got 10x reward points at BRS lol... maybe not as sexy as some of the other deals and scores here :lol:

Coleus 12-27-2011 06:29 PM

went to couple stores but came home empty handed :-( but wife is happy

Parker 12-27-2011 06:49 PM

Not a damn thing :( but that's my own doing. I'd rather pay a bit extra than have to deal with the crowds..

Delphinus 12-27-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker (Post 664998)
Not a damn thing :( but that's my own doing. I'd rather pay a bit extra than have to deal with the crowds..

Ditto. Did hit up Red Coral in the afternoon after the rush was all done and picked up an urchin but I was wanting to do that anyhow this week so I'm not sure that counts.

Made the mistake of going to McDonalds for lunch (the kids were wanting it and WTH it's the holidays) and the one we went to shared the parking lot with FutureShop and a bunch of other stores... Holy mackerel what a gong show that was just getting in and out.

Went online and checked out a few prices on a few items I could think of at a few places and found that for the few things I was mildly interested in were less than 10% off. For example I looked up an iPad at one place and the discount was something like $15 off. .... I'm not sure that's even worth getting out of bed for. :lol:

Reef Pilot 12-27-2011 07:39 PM

Most years, Best Buy, Future Shop or Visions get a bunch of my money on Boxing Day. Not this year, it all went to J&L and a couple of the other LFS's. And I think TVs and computers were a lot cheaper, too....<sigh>

gregzz4 12-27-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker (Post 664998)

I ordered my stuff from J&L Online and will pick it up later this week

Select sand, Bunch of IO salt, Base rock, Test kits, Osmolator, RKL L1, Gloves, Milwaukee pH pen, Books, Plumbing stuff and other niggly things

Tank is getting closer :smile:

Doug 12-27-2011 10:28 PM

I drove 9 hrs. in a snowstorm, pushing snow with my Focas and then sheet ice to top it off the last part.

christyf5 12-28-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 665036)
I drove 9 hrs. in a snowstorm, pushing snow with my Focas and then sheet ice to top it off the last part.

uphill all the way? :wink:

Delphinus 12-28-2011 12:48 AM

:lol:

Snappy 12-28-2011 12:57 AM

I just picked up a couple of fish. It has been a busy week for me as well.

The Grizz 12-28-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 665036)

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 665065)
uphill all the way? :wink:

In both directions :twised: