Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Random Thought Thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58269)

reefwars 05-29-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 720175)
living with two other females is making me go crazy......

Giggady!

The Grizz 05-29-2012 02:33 AM

Well this will be interesting on Wednesday.........just received a call from my power supplier & there will be an ALL DAY power outage:surprise:

Proteus 05-29-2012 02:36 AM

Good thing your a welder. Better fuel up that gen

The Grizz 05-29-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 720266)
Good thing your a welder. Better fuel up that gen

Unfortunately I need my welder to run the shop for the day but luckily I picked up a couple back-up battery system's from my bud Rick. Playing with them now to see if they will do the job for the day on my tanks.

lockrookie 05-30-2012 05:06 AM

lets hope the third times the charm for the finish color to match existing furnature. it a good thing i have friends at the paint store or this may have been costly.

Flash 05-30-2012 01:36 PM

it should be friday!

The Grizz 05-30-2012 02:26 PM

Well power is out for the next 4 hrs, come back on at noon & off again at 1 until 5pm. At least I am home, have 800' of power cords, several full gas cans & a portable welder to run my tanks and still get work done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nano 05-30-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 720528)
Well power is out for the next 4 hrs, come back on at noon & off again at 1 until 5pm. At least I am home, have 800' of power cords, several full gas cans & a portable welder to run my tanks and still get work done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YIKES!
Hope it goes smooth bud. good thing you switch to LEDs ;) ;)

Flash 05-30-2012 03:24 PM

if my power ever goes out i am driving to work and grabbing 3 generators, a few power cords, a few gfi's and jerry cans and going home. lol! I love back up plans!

lockrookie 05-30-2012 03:32 PM

my power goes out i have a big straw to blow bubbles in the tank.

reefgirl189 05-30-2012 03:58 PM

At least they had the decency to call you about the power outage.

My back up plan for my tank is the generator. Of course I'll have to go home to turn it on, which is not the smartest way of doing it.

The Grizz 05-31-2012 02:35 AM

Well power is back on!!! Ran my tanks all day off my portable welderas well as a few lights in the shop, my aluminum spool gun, cold cut saw & a few grinders.

So glad I was home & actually received the call. Turns out they where replacing all the power poles along my road.

Nano 05-31-2012 03:30 AM

right on glad to hear everything went "swimmingly" :)

fishytime 05-31-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 720669)
Well power is back on!!! Ran my tanks all day off my portable welderas well as a few lights in the shop, my aluminum spool gun, cold cut saw & a few grinders.

So glad I was home & actually received the call. Turns out they where replacing all the power poles along my road.

good to hear it all went smooth like for ya Greg:thumb:

lockrookie 06-01-2012 05:20 AM

apex display module vs vacum ..vacume won..:hurt::drinking::frusty:

Nano 06-01-2012 03:15 PM

I got new glasses yesterday cause my prescription has nearly doubled... :lol:
What a headache today, my computer screen looks 3D... Is this how the world looks? Have I missed out on that much really? is that bacteria I see on my keyboard or am I just seeing things now.. ;)

aye yai yai :lol:

ensquire 06-01-2012 03:21 PM

HMMMMMMMM

Picked up used RO/DI system from Greyhound station today. Brought it home and opened the box. Everything looked great, all the pieces were there. All the canisters were even still full of WATER. Wonder how much extra shipping I paid for that.............:twised::twised::twised:

Aquattro 06-01-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensquire (Post 720975)
All the canisters were even still full of WATER. Wonder how much extra shipping I paid for that.............:twised::twised::twised:

lol :) Make sure you give them a good rinse, no idea how long that water has been sitting in there.

Flash 06-01-2012 08:12 PM

I NEED A DRYWALLER..... they are so freaking expensive... someone on here has to run a business and can help me out. come on reefers, someone has to have connections! lol! :razz:

reefgirl189 06-01-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 721091)
I NEED A DRYWALLER..... they are so freaking expensive... someone on here has to run a business and can help me out. come on reefers, someone has to have connections! lol! :razz:

How much work are you doing?

Nano 06-01-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

whats the job needed done? I drywalled and taped for 5 years :) still do it on the side from time to time.

Flash 06-01-2012 08:21 PM

the basement of my duplex, but i want the ceiling drywalled too... people are quoting me insane numbers. so much that i'd have to save another 3 years to get it done! lol! SO.... Pizza/beer/drywall hanging party at my place?! lmao! any takers! ha ha!! there's a bit to do...but if 6 people were doing it, it'd take like less then an hour to hang everything! i should have gone into the trades. they make a lot of money!

reefgirl189 06-01-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 721097)
the basement of my duplex, but i want the ceiling drywalled too... people are quoting me insane numbers. so much that i'd have to save another 3 years to get it done! lol! SO.... Pizza/beer/drywall hanging party at my place?! lmao! any takers! ha ha!! there's a bit to do...but if 6 people were doing it, it'd take like less then an hour to hang everything! i should have gone into the trades. they make a lot of money!

Are you mudding and taping too?

Flash 06-01-2012 08:24 PM

i'll have to youtube how to do that!!!

Nano 06-01-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 721097)

"will work for frags"

but seriously, a basement start to finish in a duplex should run you more the about $1800-$2400 at least thats what I would charge back in the day. thats including priming the walls touching up nicks etc, basically having it prepped to paint. some people would try to bid in houses that I bid on, like easily 1/3 - half more then what I would charge. its ridiculous.

edit
I would also frame out bulk heads and things like that too.. lol

reefgirl189 06-01-2012 08:37 PM

Hey Nano

How's the baby and wifey doing? Everything nice and smooth?

reefwars 06-01-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

I NEED A DRYWALLER..... they are so freaking expensive...

keep in mind you get what you pay for:P

reefwars 06-01-2012 08:41 PM

we just hired a mud guy for the lowest quote ...was half everyone elses....he started didnt finish and we had to hire someone else. what should have taken less than a week ended up taking three.

Flash 06-01-2012 09:13 PM

yes but large companies with high overhead are rediculous in pricing over the small guy-business

Nano 06-01-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefgirl189 (Post 721113)
Hey Nano

How's the baby and wifey doing? Everything nice and smooth?

everyones doing awesome, little one is rolling over and holding her head up, smiling, and giggling already, (like 3-4 months earlier then normal)....starting to wonder if all the steroids in meat had anything to do with it :lol:
she's cute as hell though

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...74207538_n.jpg

<3 love this little bugger to pieces :redface:

lockrookie 06-01-2012 09:16 PM

if your doing the basments flash dodrop tile ceiling.. somuch easier to run /repair wires and pumbing if need be just a thought

Coralgurl 06-01-2012 09:18 PM

I work with contractors all day long, if I'm asking for quotes, I try to get 3 and then go with the middle price. If there's a huge gap between the lowest quote and the others, then either the contractor missed something, or they are desperate for work. Too high then they usually don't want the job and are pricing themselves out.

I don't think hanging drywall is tooooo challenging, I think the taping and mudding makes all the difference and that's where you shouldn't cheap out.

Nano 06-01-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralgurl (Post 721136)
I don't think hanging drywall is tooooo challenging, I think the taping and mudding makes all the difference and that's where you shouldn't cheap out.

+1 any good taper should be able to make a crap board job looks superb, not to toot my own horn but I have done some pretty hairy stuff to cover up sh*tty boarding. Painted ceilings were always my specialty and favorite thing to do, even though there is a ton of work involved getting it right, most contractors use those big rotary sanders for walls and ceilings, I would sand every square inch by hand, as the result would always speak for itself, not to mention in doing it by hand it gives you the opportunity to feel for high or low spots that need to be feathered out :)

now I miss taping.. damn you

Coralgurl 06-01-2012 09:25 PM

I met the sweetest man today, did a car inspection for my daughter, she told him he reminded her of her grandpa - my dad and he so did! He also lives on the same street I grew up on, could see my old house from his place and he actually remembered my dad doing wood work in our garage 20 years ago....hmmmm. Sometimes you meet people who just make you smile.

Nano 06-01-2012 10:14 PM

I'm the new "Bad guy" on nano-reef.com for suggesting live rock be used over dry, just cause of the fact that its not oh I dont know "fossilized"... and now I get bash for taking away from living reefs and "how could live rock ever compare to dry rock that has been seeded with microbacter"..

I just suggested that a tank with no live rock will lack biological filtration to hold normal bioloads for a while, not that dry rock was the devil or something, you'd think I committed blasphemy in a church or something..

10 posts later its still Quote"kenny" said this...what an idiot. -.-

oook enough about that.

now I remember why I am on Canreef, you people have sense..(most of you) ;)

reefgirl189 06-01-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 721138)
now I miss taping.. damn you

You and I, sir, are of a totally different breed. Don't get me wrong. I love mudding and I even love putting on the tape. I HATE the sanding part. Rotary sanders sand too quickly and it's to easy to take off to much so I prefer by hand but it just makes such a mess. I'm a very artistic person and love working with my hands but I have to really try to be good at mudding and taping. I can however paint until the cows come home.

I have whole 2400 sq foot basement you are more than welcome to mud and tape for me Ken!

Nano 06-01-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefgirl189 (Post 721161)
I have whole 2400 sq foot basement you are more than welcome to mud and tape for me Ken!

will work for diapers :lol:

reefgirl189 06-01-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 721162)

Ugh, tell me about it... Superstore is *usually* the cheapest place to get them. Wholesale club will have sales every once in awhile for 25% off and when they do I usually stock up.

Thank goodness my 2 1/2 year old is well on the way to being pottytrained. Just can't trust him overnight yet. I'm hoping for at least 3 months diaper-free this year.

Nano 06-01-2012 10:28 PM

my wife found this website for coupons and everything is like a 2 for 1 or $10+ off kinda thing, and so my mom and dad each signed up for it too, and diapers are like dirt cheap since :) formula too

why cant they make a coupon site for SW supplies and corals

Disclaimer
I would only use them at my LFS :lol:

Flash 06-01-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 721162)

i have a costco card!!! i can pay you in diapers!!! lol jk