Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Random Thought Thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58269)

fishoholic 05-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockrookie (Post 719821)
thats a little harsh i love this site. friendly banter and in general a great group of ppl. ppl like to share the things they love kids fish cars. good times and bad. you say blog ...isnt a reef journal a blog sharing your thoughts ideas and mishaps. ive learned alot of things.and concider mysef a newb always. cautious in the advise i give for fear of being wrong.. but through all the banter ppl are helped.. isnt that the point. why cant it be lively.. i prefer learning with a chuckle than learning through a textbook. canreef is a great famiy of reefers that truly care and try to help ppl succeed. i dont see reefers on reefcentral going out of thier way to ship a tank to the middle of nowhere tohelp a reefer out. or taking time to rebuild and personally deliver a tank cross country.. all i saw from my short time on reefcentral where ppl with too much money and time on thier hands ban happy mods. and reef bunnies with no tanks just talking about thier menstral cycle. given there are great ppl on there as well i dont mean to judge all as a group.

all in all if you feel that strongly dont log on lifes to short..if the mods and owners dont care why should we.. be happy and happy reefing to you..im gonna kiss some babies..while drooling over fish and corals.)

disclaimer: this is a post of my opinions and mine alone and in no way am i paid to do so. nor do my opinions reflect any of that of canreef staff. if you wish to hate me for my opinions please do so in silence or pm i will not respond to an argument.

+1

There is still a lot of reef talk on here but I personally enjoy the lounge section for the non reef posts were you get to know other members on a more personal level.

Myka 05-27-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 719817)
Pretty much no need to come to this site anymore. Sites turned in to a useless blogging site. Thought this site was about fish, corals etc. Not how you cant find a job, your baby, zombies and all that garbage. Save that crap for Facebook. Moderators have allowed it to become a joke with some people. Don't know why newbies figure that they feel the need to respond to every post even though they're not even sure they know the answer. It's kept me away. None of this nonsense on Reefcentral.

Hehe, I don't mind the useless banter as long as it is in the Lounge. I choose not to read Tank Journals that have a bunch of chatter in them. I've seen some sites where commenting in Tank Journals is only allowed by the author which I think is absolutely brilliant. Separate comment threads are made for the journals. That's my biggest pet peeve about the useless banter, is when it is gumming up an otherwise interesting journal thread.

On the other hand, I rarely post on RC...I don't care for those forums at all. Too many people and too political. I find either threads get lost in the heap and get no answers or they get 50,000 replies and it takes 3 hours to sift through 300+ pages to find the info you're after in between all the clutter.

Aquattro 05-27-2012 03:21 PM

Seriously??? I recall reading madreefer's posts on Brett's "alternate site". He hated it here because we didn't allow certain things. He was never posting here again. Now you're posting here again, complaining we allow too much??

You are welcome, no, encouraged, to go to RC instead. Hopefully they enjoy you as much as we have. See ya later.

The Grizz 05-27-2012 03:31 PM

+1,000,000!!!
Could not have said it any better then Jeff, Laurie, Myka & Brad but I could have said it a lot less family friendly so I didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Grizz 05-27-2012 03:42 PM

And on that note some more useless banter.........

Taking my first day off in months & going golfing for the first time in 2 yrs, hope I remember how it's done. :lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic 05-27-2012 03:45 PM

Wasn't the point of having this "Random Thought Thread" to keep our random thoughts confined, more or less, to this single thread. I think it is serving its purpose well. Same with the Lounge.

Aquattro 05-27-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 719865)
And on that note some more useless banter.........

Taking my first day off in months & going golfing for the first time in 2 yrs, hope I remember how it's done. :lol:

sorry Greg, but due to recent complaints, we're going to have to ban the use of the words "months", "golfing" and the number "2". Please try to banter with more useful words/numbers.

reefwars 05-27-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 719817)
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/post_padding

Pretty much no need to come to this site anymore. Sites turned in to a useless blogging site. Thought this site was about fish, corals etc. Not how you cant find a job, your baby, zombies and all that garbage. Save that crap for Facebook. Moderators have allowed it to become a joke with some people. Don't know why newbies figure that they feel the need to respond to every post even though they're not even sure they know the answer. It's kept me away. None of this nonsense on Reefcentral.

Ouch dude this is a social website about reefing and marine what kind of expectations were you expecting its a site for all ages. a more serious approach where you don't have to read posts would prob be a book....never too late for books;)

I've made friends, learned a lot, got great deals and have helped many others......I fuss all that is not what the sites about eh , personally this site is ran a lot better then others....I noo don't post on RC....rarely anyways....canreef is very friendly and even Though we have fun( God forbid) we teach and learn.

If this site was as bad as you say has I been running so long,

Coralgurl 05-27-2012 03:58 PM

Hey, I'm a newb...with a years experience, doesn't that count for something?? I know a lot less than a lot of peeps here but I have learned a thing or two on this site. I like the people here and appreciate the time given to answering my questions. I also like how this site allows me to get to know people that otherwise I likely wouldn't speak to. I've been to RC and find there's so much going on and so many people that the personal touch is not there. Here's hoping this site remains as it is!

Aquattro 05-27-2012 04:01 PM

My random thought ...what makes a madreefer mad? Is he angry mad? Or is he crazy mad? How did the madness happen? How can we turn the madreefer into a gladreefer? Maybe we can't, which might make some sadreefers.

I'm going to go for a long run now and contemplate the madness...

fishoholic 05-27-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 719876)
My random thought ...what makes a madreefer mad? Is he angry mad? Or is he crazy mad? How did the madness happen? How can we turn the madreefer into a gladreefer? Maybe we can't, which might make some sadreefers.

:lol:

jorjef 05-27-2012 04:13 PM

So, where's everyone from?

lockrookie 05-27-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 719878)

you must be new we dont ask such questions we look at every ones profile we look at everyones profile oneat a time to find that out top right corner of every post...except reefwars his location changes every other week. carries his tank ina backpack while he travels.

fishytime 05-27-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

I think that post was rad Brad:mrgreen:

reefwars 05-27-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

My random thought ...How can we turn the madreefer into a gladreefer?

Maybe random happy pm's :)

Borderjumper 05-27-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm..."Mad as a hatter" is a colloquial phrase used in conversation to refer to a crazy person. In 18th and 19th century England mercury was used in the production of felt, which was used in the manufacturing of hats common of the time. People who worked in these hat factories were exposed daily to trace amounts of the metal, which accumulated within their bodies over time, causing some workers to develop dementia caused by mercury poisoning. Thus the phrase "Mad as a Hatter" became popular as a way to refer to someone who was perceived as insane.

So maybe, to become a mad reefer, it could be prolonged exposed to calcium?

Aquattro 05-27-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 719884)
I think that post was rad Brad:mrgreen:

Maybe just a tad...

Aquattro 05-27-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 719885)
Maybe random happy pm's :)

That just might work!!

Aquattro 05-27-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderjumper (Post 719895)
Hmmmm..."Mad as a hatter" is a colloquial phrase used in conversation to refer to a crazy person. In 18th and 19th century England mercury was used in the production of felt, which was used in the manufacturing of hats common of the time. People who worked in these hat factories were exposed daily to trace amounts of the metal, which accumulated within their bodies over time, causing some workers to develop dementia caused by mercury poisoning. Thus the phrase "Mad as a Hatter" became popular as a way to refer to someone who was perceived as insane.

I thought they went mad from the habit of holding the hat pins in their mouths, the pins at the time containing mercury. Yours sounds better though..

After a longish run, I still have no answer to the dilemma, I guess some people are just, well, mad!

lockrookie 05-27-2012 06:40 PM

speakng of being mad i want one of these would solve traffic problems

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...66907838_n.jpg

Borderjumper 05-27-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockrookie (Post 719902)
speakng of being mad i want one of these would solve traffic problems

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...66907838_n.jpg

This would solve alot of problems too

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...a/fe7609bd.jpg

Leah 05-27-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 719878)

When I was little they tried telling me I was found in a cabbage patch...but I am pretty sure now... that I came from my mom.

jorjef 05-27-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah (Post 719914)
When I was little they tried telling me I was found in a cabbage patch...but I am pretty sure now... that I came from my mom.

In the interest of good taste and respect to our younger more sensitive readers I'm stepping away from any reply. Have a pleasant evening. Besides that I don't want to get onto Santa's naughty list....... Long live the great pumpkin!

The Grizz 05-27-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 719869)
sorry Greg, but due to recent complaints, we're going to have to ban the use of the words "months", "golfing" and the number "2". Please try to banter with more useful words/numbers.

Well maybe in another 12 months I will be able to go golfing 2 more times :razz:

Aquattro 05-27-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 719956)
Well maybe in another 12 months I will be able to go golfing 2 more times :razz:

Just gotta be one of those difficult members, huh?

The Grizz 05-27-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 719957)
Just gotta be one of those difficult members, huh?

You know it!!!

fishoholic 05-28-2012 01:56 AM

People should check out all the pic's I posted in my 34g cube tank journal thread. Click on link in signature to see :mrgreen:

fishoholic 05-28-2012 02:02 AM

Don't you hate it when you forget something.....in this case forgetting worked out for me. Doug forgot his new Coral magazine on nano gobies at my (soon to be our) house. hehehehe now I get to take my time and read it :biggrin:

fishoholic 05-28-2012 02:07 AM

FYI I forgot how much crab molts look like the actual crab. Doug's pom pom crab molted yesterday and I thought he died :eek: hoped it was possibly a molt but thought he died. Was very very relieved to see both pom pom crabs alive and well in the tank today.

fishytime 05-28-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderjumper (Post 719895)

or pot:mrgreen:

Parker 05-28-2012 04:09 PM

That's odd, I'm pretty sure I remember there being a LOUNGE over at RC, and if memory serves it's a lot more random than this place... *shrugs shoulders*

Dr_Hicks 05-28-2012 08:37 PM

People say to expect the unexpected. But doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected? If this is true then whos to say whats expected or unexpected?

Flash 05-28-2012 09:25 PM

living with two other females is making me go crazy......

reefgirl189 05-28-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 720175)
living with two other females is making me go crazy......

b*tches be crazy.

Aquattro 05-28-2012 10:09 PM

I'm going to try to catch a fish with chopsticks, just to see if I can do it...

Coralgurl 05-28-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 720187)

can you video that a) for the giggles b) to prove you did it???

lockrookie 05-28-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralgurl (Post 720189)
can you video that a) for the giggles b) to prove you did it???

i call it spear fishing

Flash 05-28-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefgirl189 (Post 720184)
b*tches be crazy.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.......i am trying to stay at work extra late today!!!

Coralgurl 05-28-2012 10:32 PM

Well I had pictured Brad doing this in his tank.....spears might break the glass......that would make him a mad reefer....:mrgreen:

intarsiabox 05-28-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 720187)

I do that every time I have sushi, it's pretty easy! Now catching flies with chopsticks...