Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Duckhams' 75G Reef Build - Eurobraced/BeanAnimal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112401)

Myka 03-11-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckhams (Post 985474)
Everything else looks awesome already.

That's the important part!

There's more than one way to skin a cat. ;) Have you ever tried running NSW values for Cal/Alk/Mg? That's what I've been doing for the first 8 months my tank was up and running, and recently I've been experimenting with slightly higher values. I've started NO3 dosing again too.

Duckhams 03-11-2016 08:19 PM

No, never tried that. I am trying to lower my ALK to around 9, but I keep fairly high nutrients so lower alk (NSW levels) can cause issues with STN/RTN.

Myka 03-12-2016 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckhams (Post 985510)
No, never tried that. I am trying to lower my ALK to around 9, but I keep fairly high nutrients so lower alk (NSW levels) can cause issues with STN/RTN.

You listed low nutrients above. You figure the tank will wander high once established?

Duckhams 03-12-2016 08:28 PM

I did? I think my tank runs fairly high nutrient levels. I feed well, don't over skim and perform modest 10-15% water changes each week to export.

Bugger 03-14-2016 10:17 PM

What does your ph sit at with the two part

Duckhams 03-14-2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugger (Post 985795)
What does your ph sit at with the two part

7.9-8.07 daily, monitored with APEX PH probe.

Myka 03-15-2016 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckhams (Post 985590)
I did? I think my tank runs fairly high nutrient levels. I feed well, don't over skim and perform modest 10-15% water changes each week to export.

You listed NO3 0 ppm, and PO4 0.04 ppm. You don't think that's low? Of course there is a different between a low nutrient system and a low nutrient water column imo. Maybe your tank is more in the latter than the former. Imo, that's the best way to do it. :D

Duckhams 03-15-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 985814)
You listed NO3 0 ppm, and PO4 0.04 ppm. You don't think that's low? Of course there is a different between a low nutrient system and a low nutrient water column imo. Maybe your tank is more in the latter than the former. Imo, that's the best way to do it. :D

Ahh I see what you're saying. I don't think N03 and P04 are always good metrics for determining nutrient levels. While my N03 and P04 are low, im feeding my fish and corals quite heavily with a variety of foods/amino's etc (adding nutrients) but also exporting heavily with filter carbon, aggressive skimming, carbon dosing, water changes etc, to keep N03/P04 low. There's also probably a wide range of interpretations on what 'nutrients' consist of. But either way, things seem to be running ok. (other than a bit of green slime).

Bugger 03-16-2016 11:25 PM

What did you do with the canopy?
Are there any plans to get a nicer sump.
The tank is just begging for you to do up the sump area.:biggrin:
How did you add the bottom links to your post. Does it do it for you automatically or did you add it yourself

Myka 03-17-2016 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckhams (Post 985859)
Ahh I see what you're saying. I don't think N03 and P04 are always good metrics for determining nutrient levels. While my N03 and P04 are low, im feeding my fish and corals quite heavily with a variety of foods/amino's etc (adding nutrients) but also exporting heavily with filter carbon, aggressive skimming, carbon dosing, water changes etc, to keep N03/P04 low. There's also probably a wide range of interpretations on what 'nutrients' consist of. But either way, things seem to be running ok. (other than a bit of green slime).

Ah, you're carbon dosing too. Yeah, not really a low nutrient system then. That's like mine - water column is super low nutrients, but the tank itself has lots of nutrients. You might be able to get rid of the slime if you back off the pellet flow a sniff. Which aminos are you using? I've been experimenting with Acro Power since it seems to have such rave reviews, but I haven't been able to use it without getting red slime. Maybe I should just weather it. :lol: