Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   lastlight's 404 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71462)

golf nut 01-08-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 579750)
Thanks Paul I like what you did there. Are you saying that's not ideal and I might *want* to change the rockwork up or...?

Not saying it isn't ideal, I just wanted to show you where I would drill given the drawing you posted, the flow, where possible should move as much water as possible to pull in water from the surrounding area and hopefully gain momentum, burying C/L feeds in two of the islands will help as well.

Placing the bulkheads just inside the edge of the aquascaping goes a long way to hiding all hardware in the tank,the C/L feeds will not be seen at all, sometimes a return really needs to be at a certain place to get optimum flow and in that case you need to disguise it with small pieces of rock and or shells.

There are ideal scenarios for getting the maximum blast for the buck and getting excellent flow, but this isn't a frag tank you are building, this is your tank and your aquascaping done to your design, it's up to me to figure out the best way to get the flow in the tank that you want.

Paul

now off to bed I tee off in 4 1/2 hours

fishoholic 01-08-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 580010)

Jealous?! You've got like 600 gallons+ to your name! But yeah I am so stoked. Not sure when she'll get all wet but I am so looking forward to seeing this thing come to life!

My whole system is over 600g but the main displays are just standard 230g tanks. I would love to have a much longer/wider/shorter tank. Hummmmmm maybe it is time for a new house with a very large basement :lol: Now I just need the money for it!

dave_C 01-08-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 579059)
Scratches easier and I was actually surprised that the 19mm didn't really look all that green to me. In the end I always think...tank gets filled with water which certainly isn't 100% clear and then I turn on a small army of Radiums and the tank is quite blue. I'm going to spend my money elsewhere =)

Brett just to add a little more stress to your build for you lol

we are bring in a new glass from china, not sure what to call it but will name it "ever clear"for now, it's half the price of starsphire and i am told just as hard. Had a simple to see today and i like it is clearer than the starphire glass but here is two pic's for you to check out
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMG_0066.jpg
the new glass is on top and starphire is on the bottom
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMG_0067.jpg
again the same thing from the side
If you like this idea there are only two problems, i know i just had to throw something else in there for you lol,
1) it looks thinner than the starphire
2) glass won't be here for another 2 to 3 months:frown:

thanks Dave

lastlight 01-08-2011 09:51 PM

Dave come on you tease.

Ok how much thinner in mm? Any reason to worry about their claims considering it's unknown glass in a way? It sure looks clearer!

We'll have to talk lol.

dave_C 01-08-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 580184)
Dave come on you tease.

Ok how much thinner in mm? Any reason to worry about their claims considering it's unknown glass in a way? It sure looks clearer!

We'll have to talk lol.

If you look at the first pic I posted it shows the difference between the two types of glass, it is very slight! We are using their float glass now and I would have to say it is harder than the glass we were getting from ppg, you can ask Michika about that lol it took us over 8 hours to buff out some flaws we missed when we dropped it off.

lastlight 01-09-2011 05:35 PM

So I guess expect to see a tank in roughly 2-3 months as I am going to give this new low iron glass a shot. Looks very promising from what I do know about it so I guess we'll see!

fishytime 01-09-2011 05:50 PM

3 months!!!! cmon man, we cant wait that long!:razz:

Skimmerking 01-09-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoholic (Post 580132)
My whole system is over 600g but the main displays are just standard 230g tanks. I would love to have a much longer/wider/shorter tank. Hummmmmm maybe it is time for a new house with a very large basement :lol: Now I just need the money for it!

Well first off get Doug to move up 2 x incomes and BAM you have a bigger house.

fishoholic 01-09-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 580396)
So I guess expect to see a tank in roughly 2-3 months as I am going to give this new low iron glass a shot. Looks very promising from what I do know about it so I guess we'll see!

That glass does look really clear and cool can't wait to see how it turns out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 580399)

+1

christyf5 01-09-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 580399)

Yeah, by then you'll have changed your mind and want something else! :razz: