Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Random Thought Thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58269)

Delphinus 08-21-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 840056)
Star Trek anyone?

Sign/beam me up! :lol:

Seth81 08-21-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 840056)
Unfortunately no one has the right answer. In fact, there probably isn't one. That is unless some miracle happens and we all wake up and collectively say, "Hey, you know what, I don't really want anything but I'm prefectly happy to go to work and do something for the good of all mankind." Star Trek anyone?

If I had to put up with nearly getting killed on a weekly basis, I better be getting paid!!

kien 08-21-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth81 (Post 840060)
If I had to put up with nearly getting killed on a weekly basis, I better be getting paid!!

part of the Star Trek utopian philosophy is that no one would need to get paid. We would all be provided with everything we desired so long as everyone was simply happy to do their part. This would include strapping on gravity boots and dangling from a half constructed spaceship as you welded in its panels while orbiting the planet. :mrgreen:

Seth81 08-21-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 840063)
part of the Star Trek utopian philosophy is that no one would need to get paid. We would all be provided with everything we desired so long as everyone was simply happy to do their part. This would include strapping on gravity boots and dangling from a half constructed spaceship as you welded in its panels while orbiting the planet. :mrgreen:

Yeah I know, I am a pretty big TNG fan, but if the reality was that we had replicators and seemlingy endless power, you think that the Enterprise would have a pretty high turn over...cause people would just be like "You want me to put on the red shirt and beam down to a hostile planet??? Naw screw this, I got a date with the Holodeck see you fools later!:razz:"

kien 08-21-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth81 (Post 840075)
Yeah I know, I am a pretty big TNG fan, but if the reality was that we had replicators and seemlingy endless power, you think that the Enterprise would have a pretty high turn over...cause people would just be like "You want me to put on the red shirt and beam down to a hostile planet??? Naw screw this, I got a date with the Holodeck see you fools later!:razz:"

You're right, it's very hard to imagine such a way of life existing. It really would require a HUGE paradigm shift on all levels of society. Stranger things have happened though. :biggrin: It may be hard for many of us to fathom today but there was a time when women could not vote. When slavery was normal and accepted. When it was Ok to eat gluten. :lol:

Aquattro 08-22-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 840077)
When it was Ok to eat gluten. :lol:

you're just making that one up!! Who would ever eat that stuff??

daplatapus 08-22-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Isn't that kind of how communism started? :)

Phil 08-22-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplatapus (Post 840091)
Isn't that kind of how communism started? :)

Yes but there wasent enough stuff to go around so u ended up with the extremely poor

Reef Pilot 08-22-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 840021)
If you focus on living with what you need, life isn't actually all that uncomfortable.

The Kien is a wise man,....not just a good reefer.

I read a book called "Your Money or Your Life" a number of years ago. It's about achieving financial independence and "fulfillment", and the path there is not just about making more money... Has a lot of great advice and perhaps may help some sharpen their focus on achieving their life goals.

The Grizz 08-22-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

strapping on gravity boots and dangling from a half constructed spaceship as you welded in its panels while orbiting the planet. :mrgreen:

Sign me up, size 9 :biggrin: