Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   400 gallon project (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436)

Jason McK 03-24-2008 05:02 AM

Cool a look down Fish. I heard a rumor you got one. How is it behaving

J

skylord 03-24-2008 05:50 AM

Now that really follows the untamed theme! Nice.

Scott

Pan 03-24-2008 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untamed (Post 311742)
Thanks for confirming that it isn't just me. I'm lucky so far that I haven't broken a bulb. I do use a slot screwdriver to try to spread the contacts just before I put the bulb in. Life time of these fixtures is probably 4 or 5 years...by then, I'm sure I'll be moving to LEDs.

Naw by then we'll be using Plasma bulbs...google it :) 6000 degrees Kelvin. same intensity of the sun :)

untamed 03-24-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy (Post 312260)
Naw by then we'll be using Plasma bulbs...google it :) 6000 degrees Kelvin. same intensity of the sun :)

I was hoping to get AWAY from a chiller....!

untamed 03-24-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 312224)
Cool a look down Fish. I heard a rumor you got one. How is it behaving

J

It was a bit shy of the other fish at first, but now it gets right into the feeding frenzy and eats like the others. Does not sleep in the rockwork at night. It seems to just hang in the open water all night. I think it is a pretty cool fish. I suppose we'll see how large he gets...how fast. For the most part, every fish I have is going to be too large for him to eat. (with a couple of exceptions!)

Maybe it is like keeping small fish with a shark....keep him well fed and he won't be interested in catching fish.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...000_0385-1.jpg

Tom R 03-24-2008 07:33 PM

Hi Brad

Great looking fish. You need 3 or 4 more to give your tank the open ocean look.

That's a very nice addition. He will look great swimming in that middle water area.

Tom R

untamed 03-24-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom R (Post 312401)
Hi Brad

Great looking fish. You need a 3 or 4 more to give your tank the open ocean look.

That's a very nice addition. He will look great swimming in that middle water area.

Tom R

Ha..ha...No, I think I'll stick with one. I don't want to push my luck that far!

michika 03-24-2008 08:26 PM

You always find some of the most amazing livestock to add to your system. Did you ever have a long term livestock plan, or do you just take it as it comes and add as you see fit?

untamed 03-24-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 312424)
You always find some of the most amazing livestock to add to your system. Did you ever have a long term livestock plan, or do you just take it as it comes and add as you see fit?

I didn't have a fish "wish list" when I began to get fish...but I've been doing this long enough to recognize something interesting/appropriate when I see it. Also...having a very large tank, I'm fortunate that I can now purchase some things that were off-limits before.

Sometimes, I get it wrong. I just purchased a juvenile Naso from JL because I was certain it was NOT Naso literalus....but I was wrong. Now...he needs to find another home because I already have Naso elegans...I was hoping I had found Naso unicornis because it is almost impossible to tell them apart when they are young.

I kind of regret purchasing the Foxface...Now, I'm wishing I had held out to find a Magnificent Rabbitfish instead. So...sometimes I do the same thing as all of us...buy a fish without a lot of forethought.

Now that I'm having to be more selective about additional fish, there is a list. (I'm not going to share it, so don't ask...!) The Atlantic Blue Tang was on the list, but I got one of those a few weeks ago.

michika 03-24-2008 09:12 PM

Thank you, very informative!