Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Reefers Best Salt (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40422)

Jason McK 04-08-2008 02:48 PM

Yes they changed the formula so it is one part only no CA suppliment.

J

michika 04-08-2008 03:58 PM

So what is the general consensus on this product now? I'm coming up on the end of my current bucket, and am really looking closely at purchasing RBS. Aside from the chemistry portion what else have people been seeing with this salt? Like Jason mentioned he saw a happier tank.

Snappy 04-08-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digital-audiophile (Post 309863)
Any advice on how to raise my alk level.. without resorting to even more equipment in my fish room :p

Greg,
I suggest spreading a box of baking soda on to a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 for an hour. This changes it from bi-carbonate to carbonate. I then mix it with "unbaked" baking soda and now have a great ALK buffer. You can call me for more details or questions.
Greg

Brent F 04-08-2008 07:26 PM

I tested a new batch yesterday and it came out the same as Jason's (CA 400, ALK 7.0 Dkh, MG 1500). Should the calcium be suplemented to get it up to 425 from the 400? I've been leaving my alkalinity at 7 based on recommendations at the zeovit site.

digital-audiophile 04-08-2008 07:38 PM

On my last water change :

CA 380
ALK 7.0Dkh

I like the way the salt mixes, clear and clean with no particulate. I've only done 3 5gal water changes so far so it's hard for me to make a good assesment on how it is working in the tank.

Greg - I'll zip you a message later this PM when I have a few moments. I wouldn't mind picking your brain on the amount of baking soda to use and how much to dose.

Even with the RBS now I cannot get my DKH up yet. I have been using a DKH buffer but it does not seem to be working.

Snappy 04-08-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent F (Post 316643)
I tested a new batch yesterday and it came out the same as Jason's (CA 400, ALK 7.0 Dkh, MG 1500). Should the calcium be suplemented to get it up to 425 from the 400? I've been leaving my alkalinity at 7 based on recommendations at the zeovit site.

Natural seawater is about 400 ca & 7 dkh. Having higher levels is a personal preference only. I like to have ca a bit higher just so I have a little wiggle room but it isn't necessary.

rocketlily 03-21-2009 04:28 PM

I'm now mixing up a batch of Reefer's Best salt and this is this first time I'll be using it. Unfortunately the box does not come with instructions. When using Red Sea Coral Pro I used 1 kg of salt to 30 litres of water. Should I be using the same ratio of salt to water?

Sebae again 03-21-2009 04:39 PM

D.A. I find dkh levels can be maintained if tank water mg is at 1350 or higher.