Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why Turn Off Pumps During Feeding? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85161)

daniella3d 04-10-2012 03:01 AM

Geeez...have you ever watched a movie where non-photosynthetic grow???? where gorgonians and sponges thrive? take a look at some and you will see the seawater is a very rich environment, nowhere near the sterile water we have in our tanks. It is fully loaded with zooplankton to the point where it is sometime hard to see through, especially at night, but also 24/7.

In the wild the ocean is very rich in phyto and zooplankton, not our aquariums. who target feeds in the wild? I beleive God does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 703364)
who target feeds corals in the wild?

reefwars 04-10-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella3d (Post 703421)
To make sure they get enough food, obviously. I target feed my dendros, each little head. I target feed my anemones, and my duncans.

same here each head eats, all my brains eat, palys, my plates,frogs and hammers eats, zoas/palys etc...out of 50+pieces of coral i probably target feed over half of them

alot of my corals/clams and anemones get a powder/liquid mixture of food, that would get diluted too fast with full flow for me.

try feeding your corals and see the results for your self it works:P

StirCrazy 04-10-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 703345)
this leads me to my next question..... why do people target feed corals?

in my opinion, because they either have non photosynthetic corals, and no matter what you read we cannot sustain enough natural food in the water colume, or in the case of normal corals, they simpliy do not have enough light for them to make there own food. I only gave my brain a treat once and a while and I stopped all togeather for the last 3 years.

Steve

dc4 04-10-2012 06:03 AM

I turn my mp40 to feeding mode so that my pipefish and mandarins get a fair shot of the food as they are slow as fook. :mrgreen:

asylumdown 04-10-2012 06:14 AM

I have to get up on a ladder to get in the top of my new tank. *sigh* no non-photosynthetic-target-feeding-required-corals for me in this build me thinks.

On the plus side, I'll be less inclined to spend gratuitously excessive hours hand feeding my LPS's every night. I'm sure they threw up most of what I used to over feed them anyway, and I sure would have had far more productive evenings of school work as I finished my last degree.

daniella3d 04-11-2012 02:48 AM

Kent squirt :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by asylumdown (Post 703487)
I have to get up on a ladder to get in the top of my new tank. *sigh* no non-photosynthetic-target-feeding-required-corals for me in this build me thinks.