Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ReeferFulton's most SPECTACULARLY AWESOMEST tank build(s) EVAHHH!!!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94367)

kien 02-13-2013 02:11 PM

RODI overflow does seem to happen to a lot of people but is totally (well, almost totally) avoidable. Look into getting one of these Kent Float valves for your RODI container. It would have saved your bacon ;-)

http://www.kentmarine.com/products/float-valve-kit.htm

If you get one, keep in mind that you should not use it as a primary shut off. You should still shut off the primary source water goig into your RODI unit when you are done making water. If you souly rely on the float valve you will get frequent on/off cycles from your RODI (from evaporation of your reservoir) which will prematurely exhaust your membrane.

reeferfulton 02-13-2013 02:17 PM

Hey right on .
I meant to say that i " did not have a timer set "

I didnt realize that the float valve setups where purely mechanicle . SO this kent float valve will actually shut the supply off completly to the RODI unit . Or does it just block the RODI water (after filtration) into the brute can, yet continue to put wast down the drain..

Thanks on the info . when i do get this . I will use it as a safety backup. ANd still try and remember to turn off my manual supply valve to the whole unit.

Reef Pilot 02-13-2013 02:28 PM

Haven't had a spill again since I started using this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 721848)
No more overflow accidents. I just attach my RO/DI tube to this and clip it to the top of any bucket or tub that I am filling with water, and can now forget without any wet consequences.http://www.canreef.com/photopost/dat...edium/0061.JPG

reeferfulton 02-13-2013 02:34 PM

Ok looks simple . But how does that prevent your house pressure from still pushing throught the rodi and out the waste tube ?

or does it just shut of the pure line , and continue to flow out the waste ?

thanks for the pics and input all

Reef Pilot 02-13-2013 02:42 PM

Just shuts off the pure line. Isn't that what you want so you don't spill? The primary still needs to be shut off manually if you want also want to stop the waste water flow.

kien 02-13-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeferfulton (Post 792833)
I didnt realize that the float valve setups where purely mechanicle . SO this kent float valve will actually shut the supply off completly to the RODI unit . Or does it just block the RODI water (after filtration) into the brute can, yet continue to put wast down the drain..

No, the float value will not shut off the supply/source line to the RO/DI, just the output. This just blocks the RODI water (after filtration) into the brute can. This is enough to prevent the reservoir from overflowing. However, as i said earlier, if you still leave your source water on, evap in the brute can will cause the float valve to drop just enough to cause the RO/DI to kick in again for a very short period of time and this will happen continuously throughout the day which will wreck your membrane. You still should shut off the source water into the RO/DI when you're done making up water.

reeferfulton 02-13-2013 04:24 PM

awesome .

I completly understand now .
Thanks for the help . everyone

Skimmerking 02-13-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 792892)
No, the float value will not shut off the supply/source line to the RO/DI, just the output. This just blocks the RODI water (after filtration) into the brute can. This is enough to prevent the reservoir from overflowing. However, as i said earlier, if you still leave your source water on, evap in the brute can will cause the float valve to drop just enough to cause the RO/DI to kick in again for a very short period of time and this will happen continuously throughout the day which will wreck your membrane. You still should shut off the source water into the RO/DI when you're done making up water.

unless Kien you have a Solenoid for the input of the water coming in.

reeferfulton 02-13-2013 04:48 PM

well that is what is saw ..

The kent one has a solenoid . is that a means to shut off RODI supply ?

eg , the one Reef Pilot posted . if that is the complete assembly . clearly just shuts off the filtered water

kien 02-13-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeferfulton (Post 792902)
well that is what is saw ..

The kent one has a solenoid . is that a means to shut off RODI supply ?

eg , the one Reef Pilot posted . if that is the complete assembly . clearly just shuts off the filtered water

I have the exact same Kent float in my reservoir and mine did not come with a solenoid. I don't have a solenoid on my input line so you can probably install this Kent without it. I suspect they've simply started to supply you with the solenoid in case you want to put it on the input as well.