Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Random Thought Thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58269)

Nano 12-14-2011 09:22 PM

It wasnt really any of my business honestly.. in retrospect I wish I had, but thats not the point, point is people willsell you anything regardless of right or wrong.

Leah 12-14-2011 09:35 PM

Yes!! you should have. :sad: I am very quiet and shy... but I would have said to both the customer and the employee that it was a very poor idea and gone on to explain why. If nothing else you may have taught them both something they did not know.

Nano 12-14-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah (Post 661090)
Yes!! you should have. :sad: I am very quiet and shy... but I would have said to both the customer and the employee that it was a very poor idea and gone on to explain why. If nothing else you may have taught them both something they did not know.

oh.. I just dont know jack about tangs, so I didnt want to get into a debate and say something that I didnt know.. but I know now. and I'm in there from time to time for my cichlids, so I'll be watching from now on thats for sure. sorry guys, I'm still new! :sad:

lastlight 12-14-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanomano (Post 661079)
Went to big als today for NLS pellets for my cichlids.. Heard another customer asking if he could put a flame fin tang in his 25 gallon... The worker there said sure you could! like it was a great idea. poor fish. I almost went up to them and butted my nose in.. :twised:

You were loking for the dislike or comment button and had one of those 'oh **** this is real life' moments.

Nano 12-14-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 661104)
You were loking for the dislike or comment button and had one of those 'oh **** this is real life' moments.

Exactly a "Flag for animal abuse" button, now for the future I know to give them some of my canreef taught facts!

Leah 12-14-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Went to big als today for NLS pellets for my cichlids.. Heard another customer asking if he could put a flame fin tang in his 25 gallon... The worker there said sure you could! like it was a great idea. poor fish. I almost went up to them and butted my nose in.. :twised:

You knew enough to post it here.

Nano 12-14-2011 10:22 PM

that's true, but didn't know enough to argue my case with him. at any rate I just felt like sharing that, thats all :wink:

fishoholic 12-15-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

I would of if it was me.

Although I have to say that's odd, was it the big als in Edmonton? Just wondering because on several occasions I have heard different staff there asking customers what size tank do you have when someone wants to buy and tang. If the customer said it's less then an 80g the staff have told them tangs need a bigger tank.

Nano 12-15-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoholic (Post 661181)
I would of if it was me.

Although I have to say that's odd, was it the big als in Edmonton? Just wondering because on several occasions I have heard different staff there asking customers what size tank do you have when someone wants to buy and tang. If the customer said it's less then an 80g the staff have told them tangs need a bigger tank.

yeah in edmonton, but I never saw this staff member before, perhaps he was new, I know all the others there from being a FW customer for about 5 years, but this is the first time I saw this guy

Funky_Fish14 12-15-2011 04:29 AM

Well, not so much my random thought... but my hermit's? I dont know what he was thinking. He spent the whole day in this spot pouting inside his shell. I 'let him down' this evening... he took a little while and finally started motoring around.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...h14/Hermit.jpg

PS: Please excuse my terrible Iphone picture & Cyano.

Nano 12-15-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 (Post 661284)
Well, not so much my random thought... but my hermit's? I dont know what he was thinking. He spent the whole day in this spot pouting inside his shell. I 'let him down' this evening... he took a little while and finally started motoring around.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...h14/Hermit.jpg

PS: Please excuse my terrible Iphone picture & Cyano.

mine climbs up the corner gripping the caulking, then sits up on my glass cleaner.. he's emo. :sad:

Funky_Fish14 12-15-2011 04:33 AM

I've seen lots climb up the silicon... but never go back into their shell for the whole day in such an odd perch.
Im wondering if this guy felt vulnerable... He is a scarlet hermit, and the 3 other hermits in the tank are pretty 'ripped' compared to him, one is an electric blue and the other two, I dont know, but they are definitely bigger/stronger. This one is much more shy.

Nano 12-15-2011 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 (Post 661289)
I've seen lots climb up the silicon... but never go back into their shell for the whole day in such an odd perch.
Im wondering if this guy felt vulnerable... He is a scarlet hermit, and the 3 other hermits in the tank are pretty 'ripped' compared to him, one is an electric blue and the other two, I dont know, but they are definitely bigger/stronger. This one is much more shy.

thats really weird mines a scarlet too! He sometimes sits up high on the rocks in his shell for a few hours I thought He was dead once so I poked at him and out he came :mrgreen:

Funky_Fish14 12-15-2011 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanomano (Post 661292)
thats really weird mines a scarlet too! He sometimes sits up high on the rocks in his shell for a few hours I thought He was dead once so I poked at him and out he came :mrgreen:

Scarlets never seem nearly as active or competitive. (to me)

Although realistically, any hermits roaring around during the day-time means hungry hermit; the biggest killer in captivity is starvation (leading to more intense competition between crabs in general, including but not limited to: general battles for space, fighting over food, trying to eat one another, and for shell space). There is actually an old issue of coral magazine that discusses the topic.

fishytime 12-15-2011 04:49 AM

I used to have one that would do this......his favorite perch was in my birdsnest.....I saw him there the first time and thought poor guy, got stuck in there.....so I moved him out of the coral......two days later he was back sitting nestled inside the BN.....stupid hermie....after that I would see him there from time to time.....guess it was his own little sanctum sanctorum

lastlight 12-15-2011 06:07 AM

Those massive hermits you guys brought in for the boxing day sale... a few of those bastards would climb into my digis. I seriously thought they'd break the damn things. Lazy mofos to boot :twised:

Leah 12-15-2011 03:50 PM

Ho! Ho! Ho! We have snow! And my dog is having a blast out there. :biggrin:

STANKYfish 12-15-2011 05:55 PM

We where suppose to get snow today on the coast but have just seen rain .....so far

The Grizz 12-15-2011 10:13 PM

DAMN!!! Dropped to 9th on the rep power.........must........get.........more .........POWER!!!!:lol:

Nano 12-15-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 661540)
DAMN!!! Dropped to 9th on the rep power.........must........get.........more .........POWER!!!!:lol:

:pound:

Madreefer 12-15-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 661540)

How do you check? All those ignorant posts when i've had a couple of beverages I gotta be way down on the negative column.

Leah 12-15-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 661554)
How do you check? All those ignorant posts when i've had a couple of beverages I gotta be way down on the negative column.

LMAO! My excuse is not enough coffee. Oh and I can thank Brad for that excuse. :wink:

The Grizz 12-15-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 661554)

here:

http://www.canreef.com/modules/Stati...bestreputation

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-16-2011 04:12 AM

Don't even know how the "rep" function works.

Anybody care to clarify for those of us in the dark? Didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Funky_Fish14 12-16-2011 04:29 AM

Oh my. So have the ratings been going on for awhile now? I totally forgot about the little scale button I noticed.

Somehow i'm in position 30 :razz: Haha.

fishoholic 12-16-2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic (Post 661703)
Don't even know how the "rep" function works.

Anybody care to clarify for those of us in the dark? Didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Click on the scales of justice at the top of peoples posts. Practice with this post and click that you agree with it :mrgreen:

The Grizz 12-16-2011 05:30 AM

OMG!! Would someone just shoot me know & put me out of my misery please. Not only has it been a struggle to keep enough work coming through the door & care for my tanks & the wife's dog, plus it's not a good financial time of the year but now after escaping for several hrs by breaking there leads, my 2 youngest huskies just came home with faces full of porcupine quills. There's another $1000 that I don't have gone.

:censored::censored::frusty::censored::censored:

Funky_Fish14 12-16-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 661742)
OMG!! Would someone just shoot me know & put me out of my misery please. Not only has it been a struggle to keep enough work coming through the door & care for my tanks & the wife's dog, plus it's not a good financial time of the year but now after escaping for several hrs by breaking there leads, my 2 youngest huskies just came home with faces full of porcupine quills. There's another $1000 that I don't have gone.

:censored::censored::frusty::censored::censored:

Greg... I know most people will tell you otherwise... but we've owned 2 labs, and 3 out of the 4 times my father and I have just pulled the quills carefully with needlenose pliers... and everything has been fine. Ofcourse vet-removal is reccomended... but the upon talking to our vet about it, he didnt seem too concerned. Hope their faces arent' too full! (and hopefully they learned their lesson... ours did not... one of the two did it 3 times over his life lol)

Cheers,

Chris

The Grizz 12-16-2011 05:42 AM

We just tried to pull them out of my boy Herc, needless to say I might have to go for several stitches. Plus they are deep in there mouths, close to there eyes and must be well over 100 or more in each dog.

Nano 12-16-2011 05:47 AM

Oh my god! sorry dude! poor pups My mom and dads Border Collie had that happen in the fall when he went hunting with my dad, but it was only about 20 or so, aw your poor pups must just be hurting..:cry:

Funky_Fish14 12-16-2011 09:23 AM

No way, sorry to hear that man! Yeah inside the mouth and near eyes are kind of touchy spots... And that's a lot of quills... Dang man. I hope for the best for you and pups!

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-16-2011 09:42 AM

Another reason I stick with fish & corals & shrimp.

I tried quails for Felicia but our nasty neighbour called the city of Burnaby and we had to get rid of her pet quails.

Now down to only creatures that can live inside a fish tank.

I guess my mother did have the right idea all those years ago (I was only allowed to keep pets that could stay in a cage or aquarium).

Sorry to hear about your dogs and the $$ situation. Good luck.

Anthony

Delphinus 12-16-2011 02:23 PM

Ai yi yi, poor pups. Good luck Greg!!

The Grizz 12-16-2011 02:46 PM

Thanks guy I appreciate the kind thoughts, it turned out I didn't need to go get stitches after all. Hurc bit me good but half the blood was his. I hope 2012 turns around for use it has been a struggle this year and I have been a little lucky to be able to trade my skills to keep the tanks going. I have had several days where I think I would have to shut them all down but if I do that now I would not get back into it again. Would love a big contract to knock at my door ATM.

ALang 12-16-2011 03:57 PM

Ouch!
My Sheba Inu had that happen to him when he was just a pup, too.
Had about 20 quills on his snout.
Thankfully, he was calm and they were not too bad. None near eyes, or inside of mouth.
I pulled them out (it happened around midnight, wasn't going to wait until morning) with a pair of pliers and my son holding him still.
Still got the quills in a little jar for souvenirs.

Let's hope for a better year for everyone, all around!

Leah 12-16-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALang (Post 661809)
Ouch!
My Sheba Inu had that happen to him when he was just a pup, too.
Had about 20 quills on his snout.
Thankfully, he was calm and they were not too bad. None near eyes, or inside of mouth.
I pulled them out (it happened around midnight, wasn't going to wait until morning) with a pair of pliers and my son holding him still.
Still got the quills in a little jar for souvenirs.

Let's hope for a better year for everyone, all around!

Lol! You kept the quills. Do you show them to him from time to time as a reminder. :wink:

I agree!!! Hoping we all have a better 2012.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-16-2011 05:22 PM

Knock on wood, but I am reasonably pleased with my 2011.

Work has been too busy if anything. Isabella was born this year and she's an absolute doll. Family is healthy. Felicia has been great in her new role as Isabella's older sister.

My worse part of the year was major issues with Marine Velvet that began at the end of 2010 that caused me to more or less take a sabbatical for most of 2011. That and living with a neighbour from hell, but going to build a 10' tall greenhouse to block their view to our place this spring.

Overall, 2010 was a much more drama filled year, with the 220g blowing out on us 10 days after it was set up - which cascaded into all sorts of issues and casualties. 2011 was a vast improvement (again knock on wood).

Greg, hopefully your 2012 will also see things turn around.

Anthony

fishoholic 12-16-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 661747)
We just tried to pull them out of my boy Herc, needless to say I might have to go for several stitches. Plus they are deep in there mouths, close to there eyes and must be well over 100 or more in each dog.

Sorry to hear :sad:

The Grizz 12-16-2011 06:25 PM

I hope 2012 will be a better year for us all in many ways. It has been a really really really hard year for me and the family with my partner stealing all the company assets in Aug of 2010 and having to start from scratch AGAIN, almost losing everything we owned & the passing of my wife beloved father ( what a great man he was, love u DAD ) it has been a up hill battle. We got lots of support & help from my wife's mom & my dad but owe them a lot of cash. I have been waiting for several years to get my settlement from WCB from a serious rear ender I was involved in 2007 which has caused lots of physical pain and major migrains ever since.

I feel very blessed to have a great community of friends here on CanReef, some I have been lucky to meet in person, some I have talked to on the phone and some I have never meet but enjoy conversing with here.

This has truly been the hardest year of my adult life, it just seems like to never stop pouring down on me. The wife & I have talked many time about selling everything we own and just moving far far away from everything to live on a beach some where warm. I am not the type of person to express much emotion & talk about my life but right ATM I a just about to explode if I don't get some of it out in some form.

Over the past couple years I have also been deeply involved with Alberta Ride For Sight on the executive team but it to has started to really get to me adding even more stress to my already stressed out system. So with that being said I had to resign my position as Assistant Chairman, which really sucked.

COME ON 2012 MAKE IT A GOOD YEAR PLEASE.

jorjef 12-16-2011 06:31 PM

G,Y I 8! U R 2 L8 2 C O K.

I am really too bored.....