Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Grizz's 8' - 300 gal + 60 gal + 30 gal OMG Build!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96944)

mseepman 04-19-2013 05:47 PM

I assume that you've read up on all the bean animal stuff, but just thought I would mention how its been brought up several times on his RC thread how tough it can be to make a double BA setup work the way you want it to. I run a regular BA and love it...though I've had some challenges with it initially.

Bblinks 04-19-2013 06:05 PM

Looks great. you now have another groupie.

michika 04-19-2013 06:23 PM

And another one.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 812843)
wow, looking good! And here I thought that this tank was just one of your many pipe dreams :-)

:pop2:

I to thought it was never going to happen but it is on like donkey kong now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 812849)
going to be really nice the ultra thin skim of the surface you'll be able to do with that thing. clever idea to prop the glass up too!

It was a very ingenious thought I had for sure, wasn't sure how at first how I was going to get the bottom of the OF set but I hit me like a bad case of the tropical runs. :twised:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappy (Post 812864)
Looks like a cool project. That is a lot of holes drilled in the back. What pump are you going to use to run the closed loop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 812865)
:lol: ya Greg, tell us all about your closed loop !! We want to know more bout this awesome closed loop you're planning for this tank. We all know how much you LOVE closed loops.

ABSOLUTELY NO closed loop, those are all return lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 812871)
I assume that you've read up on all the bean animal stuff, but just thought I would mention how its been brought up several times on his RC thread how tough it can be to make a double BA setup work the way you want it to. I run a regular BA and love it...though I've had some challenges with it initially.

Yes I have read up a lot on the BA and most are only taking on 2000 gph, I will be pushing A LOT more flow. There is going to be 4 DC10000 pumps for my returns that way I can control how much flow I get in every 2' of tank length.

FishyFishy! 04-19-2013 07:14 PM

Did you not like your closed loop system on the 165? Why would you not do it again?

I'm planning my closed loop right now and it would be nice to know why you chose not to do it again lol.

sphelps 04-19-2013 07:22 PM

FYI you could plumb that tank in a way to prevent it from draining without the need to rely on check valves or batteries. You could also run some of the pumps inline with the overflow to form a "sort of" closed loop, it would prevent the massive amount of sump turnover :lol: I can't help it, I just can't take it anymore, I need to know your plumbing plans. 4 return pumps and glass that looks like swiss cheese, if that doesn't get you existed nothing will :redface:

The Grizz 04-19-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 812891)
Did you not like your closed loop system on the 165? Why would you not do it again?

I'm planning my closed loop right now and it would be nice to know why you chose not to do it again lol.

If you look back on my 165 build you will see how It was done but to describe it the way the owner of Ocean Motions told me how to do it was like this:

One 1.5 intake hole in the tank with a manifold type system that had 4 -1.5" intake port spread across the back of the tank, all with a screen to keep fish from getting sucked in, I used some perforated acrylic that had 1/8" holes in it. They had to be cleaned on a regular basis so they had to be accessible & when sand got in the intake and hit my OM 4way the drum would get stuck. If it didnt get stuck it would grind groves into the drom and housing which had totally wreaked my 4way.

kien 04-19-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 812892)
glass that looks like swiss cheese, if that doesn't get you existed nothing will :redface:

So far all we know is that those holes are for his closed loop.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 812892)
FYI you could plumb that tank in a way to prevent it from draining without the need to rely on check valves or batteries. You could also run some of the pumps inline with the overflow to form a "sort of" closed loop, it would prevent the massive amount of sump turnover :lol: I can't help it, I just can't take it anymore, I need to know your plumbing plans. 4 return pumps and glass that looks like swiss cheese, if that doesn't get you existed nothing will :redface:

Ok Steve I will give you a quick run down..........

Going to have 4 Dc10000 pump each with a 1" SCWD for every 2 parallel holes. Going to set the SCWD's so that the flow is alternating opposite the hole on either side. Now I know that they will probably not stay in sync but the flow will still be different every 2' instead of constant the whole length.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 812894)
So far all we know is that those holes are for his closed loop.

NO DAMN IT!! NO CLOSED LOOP!!! :fish: