Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Euro-Reef Skimmer reviews needed (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37229)

Aquattro 11-25-2007 05:43 AM

Ya, I gotta say, my ER is almost silent. I had it in my living room and never heard it. The only time I heard it all was whenI had my head inside the cabinet. Compared to my old beckett skimmer, this thing is a dream. I would buy another.

untamed 11-25-2007 06:23 AM

I ran a CS100 for a few years. Long enough to wear out the impeller. I found it worked very well, and was built for long term use.

I think you can get a wide variety of sound levels, depending on how the skimmer is sitting in your sump. It will cause the sump to vibrate, so if that vibration is amplified in any way, it could be very loud. If you can control vibration noise, the sound of one pump and the venturi is very reasonable.

I did not have any problems with microbubbles, provided I had the foam properly positioned on the output of the skimmer.

Josh23 11-25-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 283475)
I would really think twice about getting this skimmer.

They were all the rage about 4 or 5 years ago when I was researching my system.

The pump (not the air intake) is noisy.

There are other better choices depending on what factor you want to optimize. If you want to optimize value there are better values including ASM. If you want to optimize quietness there are quieter skimmers. If you want to optimize performance there are several better choices.

All in all I think this was a good skimmer for several year old technology but for 2007 it is not up to par.

I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision - so many times in this hobby you purchase something only to find you need to upgrade a couple months later or the product wasn't what you thought it was.

I'm not conerned about noise as I have insulated the stand which I hope will reduce any water sounds but I would like to hear what other skimmers you'd recommend in the price range. ASM has been mentioned - other suggestions?

thanks everyone.

Aquattro 11-25-2007 03:43 PM

Josh, there may be better skimmers, maybe not. If you buy one of these, you will be happy with it. I think if I decide to upgrade, I'd just buy a bigger ER. Which I might have to do, since my new setup has a lot more water.

Buddyboy 11-25-2007 04:14 PM

Well, you could always splurge for a Deltec or an H&S skimmer. The H&S's are considerably cheaper though. I think the Canadian H&S reseller is Aquarium Obsessed.

Johnny Reefer 12-01-2007 06:47 AM

Question:
The airline valve on the RS250 I run on my Trigger Tank frequently gets plugged quickly. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I don't dose Ca in this tank, but the substance's texture seems calcareous (sp?) and is a dark grey. Maybe it's a mix of Ca from the LR and nutrient sludge.
Anyhoo, I'm wondering if anyone out there runs their EuroReef without that stupid valve at the end of the airline. I have the valve on mine wide open all the time so I'm thinking why not just take it off and then maybe it won't plug up as often.

Thanx much,

Sebae again 12-01-2007 07:12 AM

I removed mine. No problems.

Johnny Reefer 12-01-2007 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebae again (Post 284877)
I removed mine. No problems.

Cheers. Thanx.