Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   400 gallon project (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436)

untamed 11-20-2006 02:43 AM

The Bar is open!

This part of the plan started months ago when I purchased two old fir floor joists from a reclaimed lumber business. I had a local cabinet maker cut/joint them to wrap around the aquarium.

Many, many coats of urethane later...the bar finally got installed today. Once they were cleaned up, each piece is about 12" W x 2.5" thick.

As you can see, I immediately served myself a drink!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...n/100_0483.jpg

MoeReefer 11-20-2006 03:08 AM

wow, fantastic progress. ive been fallowing this now since the beginning and am a little envious. maybe someday i will have a place to do something like what you are doing. what are you going to put in the corner to the left of the tank there. have you thought of what you may put in the tank once it is ready for livestalk (aqua scaping, corals, fish).
cant wait to see the final, but i guess it will be a little while yet.

cheers

mark 11-20-2006 03:57 AM

A bar around the tank, brilliant (and so everything else).

Jason McK 11-20-2006 04:56 AM

Looks killer Brad. I love the bar. Have you figured out your Lighting yet?

J

untamed 11-20-2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoeReefer (Post 221164)
what are you going to put in the corner to the left of the tank there. have you thought of what you may put in the tank once it is ready for livestalk (aqua scaping, corals, fish).
cant wait to see the final, but i guess it will be a little while yet.
cheers

That spot to the left is where all the rum goes. I'm thinking of some hanging glass shelves and some wine glass racks. Beneath that, there will be a small fridge/freezer that will hold fish food, mix and ice cubes. (you know, important stuff like that)

I don't have a list of livestock yet, but it's coming. I'm certain that I will use Florida aquacultured live rock, and there will be some transfers from my existing tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 221195)
Have you figured out your Lighting yet?
J

I was really, really tempted by LED...but the cost for 2 - 6 foot fixtures was just too much. I considered 6 x 250W luminarcs with some added T5. In the end I found a great deal on 3 - 4' AquaMedic fixtures. Each has 3 - 250MH and 2 54W T5s. I figure these will be easy to sell in a few years when I finally realize that I should have gone with LED in the first place.

I picked up an awesome overhead track system last week. Once I complete water testing, working on that is the next step.

untamed 11-20-2006 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoeReefer (Post 221164)
have you thought of what you may put in the tank once it is ready for livestalk (aqua scaping, corals, fish).
cheers

Oh yes...It will be an SPS dominated tank.

Delphinus 11-20-2006 05:43 AM

I really like the bar idea ... even just as a shelf to plant yer elbows when staring in .. that's awesome.

Chin_Lee 11-20-2006 06:48 AM

stealing ideas

Unfortunately I'm going to have to steal that bar idea ..... thanks :mrgreen:

LostMind 11-20-2006 08:58 AM

The bar around the big tank is an awesome idea... I had hoped to incorporate it into my big tank plans here... unfortunately I hit a couple roadblocks on my tank and it never got finished. Now we have gone and sold this house and the new house has no room for a big tank. Oh well!

Cant wait to see what the bar looks like with the tank in operation, Im sure it will be killer :)

X-Treme 11-20-2006 11:57 PM

Kinda hate to be the one to ask.....but........I know everyone else is wondering this as well... Any idea what kinda money will be spent in total? Or even NOT including livestock???

Don't hafta answer if ya don't want. Just curious for future interests. TIA