Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Livestock Budget Increase Poll (Contest Members Only) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46098)

sphelps 10-27-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyL (Post 355071)
On this I'll choose to disagree; I think the whole system is a better competition, it allows some of us to go higher tech and make it up on the livestock or go cheap on the hardware and spend it all on livestock.

However, I don't think we should be talking 100$+ increases. I'm adjusting my budget on livestock due to increased costs in the past month on livestock; most of the LFS/LPS stock prices have risen in the 20-25% range. As this has happened between planning & contest start, I'd say we should allow for that. 50$ on the 5.5's and 60$ on the 10's to compensate for inflation sounds reasonable to me, to be hitting 100-150$ that's nuts...

Well so far you're the only one who thinks $50 is good, most are saying at least $100 so I don't think it would be fair to go against the majority, if more agree with you then fine but if not you don't have to spend the full extra $100 you can just spend the extra $50.

Also another note, at the end of the contest we can all post our total $ spent. The voters will decide what they prefer.

rocketlily 10-27-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 355073)
so I don't think it would be fair to go against the majority

Wow, you just forced me to vote.

JDigital 10-27-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 355053)
Heh, I've been watching this with interest. As a non-contest member, I just wanted to say that I was really interested to see what people could do with a 5 or 10 gallon tank and $300. IMO anyone can do anything with scads of money, only the creative can, well, "get creative" with a small amount.

Just my two cents.

Carry on :razz:

Oh and I edited the poll to reflect only contest members :biggrin:

Input much appreciated, and Thanks for the edit! :biggrin:

Like posted earlier, we've (sphelps and I) have already had one big argument take some of the fun out of this contest, if this increase is going to make all of us start arguing, or make contenders want to drop out entirely, we might as well scrap the idea all together.

This poll hasn't exactly received the warmest welcome from everyone. :confused:

sphelps 10-27-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDigital (Post 355103)
Input much appreciated, and Thanks for the edit! :biggrin:

Like posted earlier, we've (sphelps and I) have already had one big argument take some of the fun out of this contest, if this increase is going to make all of us start arguing, or make contenders want to drop out entirely, we might as well scrap the idea all together.

This poll hasn't exactly received the warmest welcome from everyone. :confused:

Well this is a discussion so let's not get too hasty. So far no one want to keep the budget the same, so...

JDigital 10-27-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 355112)
So far no one want to keep the budget the same, so...

Except the people who will be voting at the end. haha :lol:

rocketlily 10-27-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDigital (Post 355115)

If the budget is changed, will the people at the end think the contest is a big joke and not vote? Will it hurt the integretity of the contest?

sphelps 10-27-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDigital (Post 355115)

yeap that's why I said "so far" :lol:

sphelps 10-27-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketlily (Post 355116)
If the budget is changed, will the people at the end think the contest is a big joke and not vote? Will it hurt the integretity of the contest?

I don't really see how that's possible, besides no one will even remember this.

Chaloupa 10-27-2008 06:07 PM

Even if the budget goes up....we can still strive to stick to the initial budget and be proud that we did. No one has to spend the extra money. After thinking about it overnight....I wish I had voted for $50.00 if anything...yeah getting towards the end I might wish for the $150.00 to compete against some of the tanks as they stand now :biggrin:...they're some amazing ideas when we have to get creative. That's a good amount of cash when dealing with a small tank......and it doesn't take us very far away from the initial budget. HOWEVER, the tanks can be done and done well with the first amount we were given..just check out some of the other build offs on different sites...it's a challenge, and that's the idea. It's easy if you have a large budget to make anything gorgeous...but when you're limited you spend wisely and have to plan

christyf5 10-27-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 355118)
I don't really see how that's possible, besides no one will even remember this.

Oh I think some will :wink: