Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Exploding Heaters - Marineland Stealth and Stealth Pro (Pictures) - Recall Issued (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72729)

mseepman 02-12-2011 04:45 AM

Okay so I have two Stealth heaters, not the pro's...should I still be really worried?

lastlight 02-12-2011 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcha0s (Post 590462)
Brett - I saw the reference to copper as well. I'm not sure what would happen if you dropped a penny in your tank? In any event, a really big water change should be sufficient to dilute it.

What else can a guy really do? I'm sure it'll work out ok. Thankfully the tank did not have all your stuff transferred into it that would be heart-breaking.

abcha0s 02-12-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 590509)
Okay so I have two Stealth heaters, not the pro's...should I still be really worried?

Hi Mark. I don't think you need to worry. It's only the "pro" heaters.

Tracey2 02-12-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 590418)
From the same kind of heater???

Stealth pro 300 W made in china. I think the ones made in Italy are ok.

Jackie 02-12-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracey2 (Post 590575)
Stealth pro 300 W made in china. I think the ones made in Italy are ok.

If you look around. Over 80% stuff around you are made in China.
You are dead long time ago.

abcha0s 02-12-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie (Post 590588)
If you look around. Over 80% stuff around you are made in China.
You are dead long time ago.

That's a strange thing to say to someone who's tank exploded? I assume you are just poking fun at China for making crap - in which case, I guess it's funny.

Anyway, most of my hardware comes from somewhere in Europe.

Jackie 02-12-2011 03:20 PM

I just want to say
"made in China" is not equal to bad and most of the time there is no choice.
"made in Italy" is not equal to good.

chris121277 02-14-2011 02:56 PM

WOW!!!!

how did I miss this thread, so to get up to speed...it's only the "Stealth Pro" that this happens with? none of there other heaters?

abcha0s 02-14-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris121277 (Post 591072)
..it's only the "Stealth Pro" that this happens with? none of there other heaters?

Hi Chris - I suppose any heater could potentially explode, but it is really only the Marineland Stealth Pro heaters that have a documented history of exploding.

abcha0s 02-14-2011 03:25 PM

Recall

It looks like Marineland is recalling these heaters!

Quote:

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Gonzalez
Vice President, Brand and Customer Marketing
http://petsmart-mail.com/P/v3/Micros...=T1_ONL&A=1007

I don't see the 300W heater listed? - It's possible that PetSmart doesn't carry the 300W version, so they left it off this letter? - I am interested to see when this information makes it to our LFSs.

I sent my complaint to MarineLand on Friday morning (the same day as this recall). I haven't heard back from them yet.

I personally think they let this go on for far to long. The first reports were almost a full year ago.