Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Ok, let's hear it! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101184)

Doug 10-07-2014 11:33 PM

That I will never do.....:lol:

Aquattro 10-08-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 916076)
That I will never do.....:lol:

your loss :)

Doug 10-08-2014 02:12 AM

Actually I was looking for a fixture with a pair of 150 HQI,s and t-5 :lol:

Amadod2 12-02-2014 05:48 PM

i currently have a 6bulb tek t5 fixture and thought about switching to LED, its just too expensive right now, if the prices came down i would do it, but then again i do have to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months on my current fixture.

would you guys just add an LED strip to the fixture and wait a few years until the LED technology gets better and more affordable?

ScubaSteve 12-02-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amadod2 (Post 923579)
i currently have a 6bulb tek t5 fixture and thought about switching to LED, its just too expensive right now, if the prices came down i would do it, but then again i do have to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months on my current fixture.

would you guys just add an LED strip to the fixture and wait a few years until the LED technology gets better and more affordable?

It's almost at that point now, so you might not have long to wait. Really, it comes down to what you are wanting. If you want that POP! from the royal blue LEDs, or hate changing T5 bulbs, or want more oomph to your lighting... then maybe consider making the switch sooner than later. If you're concerned about cost, then wait it out a bit longer.

I had actually priced out a new T5 fixture for my tank (a nice ATI or Giesemann) and realized that once I bought the fixture and all the bulbs that it basically cost me the same as buying an LED fixture... but I'd never do that since I can make the darn thing! (I'm a product designer with a full machine shop at my disposal)

DIY LED fixtures have become brilliantly simple these days. If you are somewhat handy, I encourage you to look at MakersLED or LEDGroupbuy to see just how cheap you can build your own fixture. If you are super handy, I strongly encourage you to build you own! It's not too hard, it's very rewarding and you can customize it anyway you like!

Samw 12-02-2014 09:18 PM

Since going back to MH from T5HO, I am now able keep Acros alive and growing again. Other corals also colored up from brown (including zoas). I restocked with Acros and they've been doing great. But with the awesome sales on Kessils this Black Friday (basically 20-25% off at various places after stacking with additional discounts) I will be converting from dual 150W MH HQI to dual 360 Kessil A360N-E. Hope to see similar results in growth and color of the corals.

Scythanith 12-02-2014 11:08 PM

I'm working on supplementing my 3 Mitras with 4 4' T5HO bulbs. Just to fill in the shady areas ;)

SanguinesDream 03-04-2016 10:40 PM

Those who went back to MH, did you stay with them?

Aquattro 03-04-2016 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanguinesDream (Post 984744)
Those who went back to MH, did you stay with them?

I did, wouldn't leave again.