Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   400 gallon project (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436)

Myka 09-27-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untamed (Post 965349)
Yes, the larger Ca reactor and more diligent use of Phosphate binder has changed the tank such that my SPS are now able to hold there own against the fire coral. I'm currently tossing away many lbs of SPS every month just to ensure the fish still have room to swim.

Sweet! So it's time for a FTS then! :D

gobytron 01-18-2016 11:26 PM

any updates Brad?

untamed 01-20-2016 02:14 AM

Tank is fine. Same fish are mostly still there. I'm making the slow transition to LED lights. I got fed up with ballast failures on my halides. So, right now, the tank is 1/3 lit by LED. I will clean the glass sometime and take a photo for you.

hillegom 01-20-2016 04:02 AM

Brad, what is the model # of the ballasts?

SeaHorse_Fanatic 01-20-2016 04:53 AM

Quote:

I'm currently tossing away many lbs of SPS every month just to ensure the fish still have room to swim.

Hmmmm, interesting:wink::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Reef-Geek 01-20-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

I'm currently tossing away many lbs of SPS every month just to ensure the fish still have room to swim.

Can I show up with a clipper and a bucket lol:biggrin::biggrin:

untamed 01-22-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillegom (Post 979298)
Brad, what is the model # of the ballasts?

I have burned through Galaxys, then Lumenarks.... Tired of the expense associated with bulb and ballast replacement. Further, all the fluorescent ballasts in my light fixtures have blown and been replaced...and blown again... So...time to move on.

So far, I like the look of the LEDs over the 1/3 of the tank. They don't grow the coral as well, however...but I don't care.

Myka 01-22-2016 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by untamed (Post 979537)
So far, I like the look of the LEDs over the 1/3 of the tank. They don't grow the coral as well, however...but I don't care.

It sounds like LEDs are perfect. :D That's weird you've burned through so many ballasts - are they overheating or something? I've never burned out a ballast - except some 10-year old T8 fixtures I use on the QT.

untamed 04-24-2016 09:53 PM

Update time...

Yes, the tank is still running along...

The conversion to AI Hydra 52's is ongoing. Now, LEDs light 2/3 of the tank. My coral doesn't much like the LEDs much. Too bad. Adapt or die is my attitude on it. One thing, the green pavona fluoresces so brightly under the UV LEDs that the fish bellys glow when they swim over it. It really looks like I have light in the bottom of the tank shining upwards!

It looks like I have successfully introduced a new fish. I don't get to buy fish very often since my existing fish have a habit of living forever and killing newcomers...I've tried before to replace my Blue Tang and failed. This time, I purchased a very thin, sickly looking, juvenile and kept him alone in the sump for a month to fatten him up. I finally got him into the main tank last week and he is doing great. Nobody seems to be harassing him and he is eating well. Might even name him soon!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...skx7abvkj.jpeg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...stwlzsill.jpeg

hillegom 04-25-2016 12:34 AM

Tank looks awesome as usual Brad.
Glad your new fish is being left alone.

Tom R 04-26-2016 04:28 AM

Hi Brad

Your tank is still one of the best tanks out there.

Tom R

gobytron 04-26-2016 03:34 PM

Agreed.

Brad's set up is about as good as it gets.

His aquarium is also a bar!

Tom, yours is no slouch either.

both had some great planning and execution.

untamed 06-03-2016 03:38 AM

Unfortunately, my Female Naso tang has suddenly decided that she dislikes my male blonde Naso tang. What could make her decide this after 7 years of peaceful coexistance I will never know.

Anyway, she has been removed from the display and is living unhappily and lonely in my sump.

Anyone interested in purchasing her? $100. She is maybe 7" or 8". VERY healthy...about 7 years old. Eats pellets, frozen food and nori. Should b fine in a 200gal system, but probably nothing smaller.

Brad

Myka 06-03-2016 12:10 PM

Sorry to hear that! It would be tough to sell a fish after all that time together too! :(

Do you have any tank updates? How's it looking? (Photo bomb???) :D

untamed 07-02-2018 06:05 AM

Bump... I'm still here.

Brad

kien 08-29-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untamed (Post 1028431)
Bump... I'm still here.

Brad

Pics, or it didn't happen! Seriously, are you new here???

Mattyb 09-29-2018 05:20 AM

Would love to see a upadate on your tank.

corallivore 03-11-2020 05:06 PM

Still one of the most memorable tanks I've seen in person.

How is it looking these days?

Bblinks 03-11-2020 07:40 PM

Really impressive when the shimmer is the size of a cruise missile. lol

untamed 03-20-2020 05:33 PM

Still there..

Well...the tank is still running. Most of the fish are approaching 15 years in there now. By most accounts, it still looks lovely....but I know it is not what it once was.

However, due to my planned retirement and interest in extended travel, I've decided to shut the tank down. That is not a simple thing to do. I'm trying to dismantle it in parts while it is still operating.

I have removed the ca reactor and no longer do any kind of Ca supplementation. I expected this to lead to coral death, but nothing has really changed. That was done about 3 months ago.

I have been removing rock and coral from the display for many months now. The idea behind this is to free up enough space in the tank to catch fish so they can find new homes. With all the rock and coral in the display originally, catching a healthy fish would be nearly impossible.

Many of the rocks in the display are now significantly larger than they were when they went in. Many hours have been spent with a hammer and chisel whacking off sections. These need to get small enough to lift out the top of the tank. More work needed in this regard.

hillegom 03-20-2020 06:05 PM

Your tank has been an inspiration to many. Very well taken care of.
It is sad that you have to dismantle it.
However, life goes on and things change.
Enjoy your retirement Brad. A new chapter

H2o2 03-22-2020 02:54 AM

Maybe one last photo for old time memoirs

mseepman 03-22-2020 03:07 AM

This tank was one of my favorite inspirations. It was spectacular and I'm sad to hear about you getting away from things. I agree one last pic for posterity!!!!

Tom R 03-23-2020 03:54 AM

Hi Brad

I have always loved your tank I will miss your updates.

Sorry to here its coming to an end.
I should probably do the same

Tom R

AlbertanReef777 08-24-2020 02:20 PM

Hey Brad some one told me you may be selling your tank

If so can you send me a text 5872270964

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk