Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   My Half in, half out of wall 330 starfire build. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95435)

Jeff000 03-06-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 799459)
really nice work so far. even tho i wouldn't have left the stand completely unsupported in the middle i'm sure that will hold the tank just fine. is there a reason it's sorta open in the middle? you have the diagonal piece in there anyways which sorta kills that useable space...

and the hanging frag tank is awesome keep it!

I think you are looking at the wrong picture. I had to build a table of sorts for them to build the tank on, and then slide the tank onto the actual stand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 799462)
I'm about as tall as your son there so as far as I am concerned, you are a GIANT! :-)

Seriously though, that depth is going to be ridiculously fun to aquascape I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing that!

I'm excited and scared to aquascape it, lol. One of my main live rock pieces is 45lbs and large. I'm half thinking of swimming to do the aquascape. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 799463)
I always just recommend people consider resale when they develop their basements, that's a lot of space to use for just a laundry room and bathroom and honestly potential home buyers are not likely going to be overly thrilled about the layout although I understand this is hardly ever the concern of the current new home owner.

I'd consider one bedroom in the top right, could be used as office or storage but a spare room on a different floor for the in-laws is quite handy :wink:. Keep the bathroom in the middle, could easily do a bathroom/laundry room combo in that space. Push the cabinet out a bit towards the pool table and put door for the bathroom between the poll and the stairs. Also a a second door from the bathroom to spare room would be a good idea. This way it's developed the way it should be, and future buyers could easily put up another wall to frame in the second bedroom if they want.

I plan on being here for 14 years (till the kid is 18). I'd rather get 14 years of enjoyment and then worry about the next guy at that point. It'll probably be due for a reno by then anyways.

Can't push the bar out to the pool table anymore, otherwise I lose the clearance needed to play pool.

I have thought about leaving the bathroom where it is though and putting a door between the stairs and the pole, just make the bar shorter so the door could open, so you would have to kind of open the door and then go left a bit to get into the bathroom. And then make the room with the window a laundry room that could later be made into whatever.
But then I thought having the door to the bathroom into the main area like that is kind of strange isn't it? Or is that the norm?

sphelps 03-06-2013 03:27 PM

The wall next to the stairs the way you have it now is strange, it needs a door there. You could also do a pocket door which means a little rework on the framing around the stairs but simple stuff.

While obviously you don't have plans on selling anytime soon the basement development is likely going to be in the $40-50K range so if you want this money to add to your house value you have to consider other people would consider value as well. A 14 year reno would be along the lines of changing flooring and bathroom fixtures and cabinets, knocking down walls, jack hammering concrete and moving plumbing would be a little extreme for a 14 year old house reno.

But anyway enough about basements, lets see some more tank progress :biggrin:

lastlight 03-06-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff000 (Post 799467)
I think you are looking at the wrong picture.

Wow I totally was. Your stand is def a strong one. Ignore me!

reef-keeper 03-06-2013 08:40 PM

Following!!! Great build!!

zhasan 03-06-2013 09:17 PM

Looks like an awesome build! Looking forward to learn a few things from your experience.

Zoaelite 03-06-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 799520)
Wow I totally was. Your stand is def a strong one. Ignore me!

I was thinking the exact same thing, actually PMed our resident engineer to make sure that would hold but he pointed this out to me as well :razz:.

Bblinks 03-06-2013 10:20 PM

Nice build. Tagging along.

Evilweevil 03-07-2013 12:40 AM

Nice build ! If I had that much room at the back of my tank I would consider a shadow box for a backdrop ,and judging by your stand you seem handy enough to pull it off

Here's a link to what I am talking abouthttp://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

zum14 03-07-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoaelite (Post 799541)
I was thinking the exact same thing, actually PMed our resident engineer to make sure that would hold but he pointed this out to me as well :razz:.

Yup. Me too. (the looking at the wrong stand. not the engineer thing)

Jeff000 03-07-2013 03:04 AM

I'm still looking for an exhaust fan that can go about 12 feet though.
Any ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 799472)
The wall next to the stairs the way you have it now is strange, it needs a door there. You could also do a pocket door which means a little rework on the framing around the stairs but simple stuff.

I'm not really sure I have the vertical clearance. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. I think I would rather leave the bathroom where it is, and have the door from the main living room part, as long as that's not weird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilweevil (Post 799581)
Nice build ! If I had that much room at the back of my tank I would consider a shadow box for a backdrop ,and judging by your stand you seem handy enough to pull it off

Here's a link to what I am talking abouthttp://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

Hmm, had I seen that before I probably would have done that. But with the external overflow and plumbing it's a little too late. That and the acrylic that is on the back is glued on.