Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   320g build/journey/experiment DIY :-) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66154)

Lance 07-06-2010 05:07 PM

Tagging along for the ride! Looks to be an interesting build.

hillegom 07-06-2010 05:17 PM

Comming along nicely.Also looking forward to tong "build".

Greenmaster 07-06-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 532654)
Tagging along for the ride! Looks to be an interesting build.

Welcome aboard

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillegom (Post 532657)
Comming along nicely.Also looking forward to tong "build".

I will try to make it as detailed as I can.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 07-06-2010 07:14 PM

I think I would have built it the other way (39" wide and 30" tall) instead. I hate the feeling of wet armpits:redface::wink:

It is sweet that your wife & kids like the idea of a huge sw tank. My wife likes the hobby too (although for me its more of an obsession) and my 2 years old daughter loves fish & corals. She can already name many of the species in the tanks.

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Anthony

Slick Fork 07-06-2010 08:44 PM

It makes a huge difference if the family is enthusiastic about it. I always gotta chuckle with my wife... when it's time to pick out corals or other inhabitants it's OUR tank! When it's time to do waterchanges or any other work it becomes MY tank :mrgreen:

Greenmaster 07-06-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic (Post 532678)
I think I would have built it the other way (39" wide and 30" tall) instead. I hate the feeling of wet armpits:redface::wink:

It is sweet that your wife & kids like the idea of a huge sw tank. My wife likes the hobby too (although for me its more of an obsession) and my 2 years old daughter loves fish & corals. She can already name many of the species in the tanks.

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Anthony

Space was the biggest reason (Tank would have been way cheaper to go in some other dimension)... my wife didn't want me to go the whole 8' (she wanted to put plants on either side since it was where she had plants before I got the tank) Also we didn't want the tank protruding into the room. So up was my only option... I went as big as I could with the space I was aloud to fill. The second reason (didn't have as much weight) is fish tend to like to inhabit one of three "main" "zones" in the ocean. At the top closer to the surface in the middle around overhangs and such, and at the bottom in or on the sand. Most tanks tend to have only two "zones" top and bottom. I'm hoping that with my height I can get that third "zone" and enable me to have a more dense population in my tank.
I don't plan on diving in very much. I hope that my CUC will take care of most of the bottom of the tank... I also plan on making sure things are secure. One last plan is to have some sort of tongs :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Fork (Post 532696)
It makes a huge difference if the family is enthusiastic about it. I always gotta chuckle with my wife... when it's time to pick out corals or other inhabitants it's OUR tank! When it's time to do waterchanges or any other work it becomes MY tank :mrgreen:

HAHA... Ya my wife not so enthusiastic... it's more like the better of two evils... I was in a motorcycle accident and she said she didn't want me to get a new bike but I could spend the payout money on whatever I wanted... so we took a trip and I got the fish tank :D

Edmonton newbie 07-07-2010 03:57 AM

i cant see trading my fatboy for a bigger tank i guess ill have to sneak one into the basement somehow lol

Greenmaster 07-07-2010 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edmonton newbie (Post 532805)
i cant see trading my fatboy for a bigger tank i guess ill have to sneak one into the basement somehow lol

My bike was totaled. She wouldn't have let me just sell the bike and set up a fish tank because the value of the bike was no where near what I would need for a tank. I sold the bike and my knee for the set up :D

oh and good luck sneaking a tank like this inside... over 1000lbs

Edmonton newbie 07-07-2010 04:17 AM

lol i have an 8 foot 300 gal out in the garage but too scratched up to even bother bringing it inside lol

sean2477 07-07-2010 04:24 AM

WOW....Awsome build....definately tagging along to this one.:mrgreen: