Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Maybe quitting Zeovit (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43589)

Tom R 07-24-2008 12:05 AM

The flow rate through your ZEO reactor Somewhere between 50-75gph, alternating three hours on, three hours off.
Up the flow rate to 75-100 GPH keeping the on/off schedule

Remember that the ZEOlite rocks must be covered by water when the flow is off for three hours.

Tom R

Der_Iron_Chef 07-24-2008 12:06 AM

Yeah....the rocks in my reactor were always submerged.

Oceanic 07-24-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom R (Post 336097)
The flow rate through your ZEO reactor Somewhere between 50-75gph, alternating three hours on, three hours off.
Up the flow rate to 75-100 GPH keeping the on/off schedule

Remember that the ZEOlite rocks must be covered by water when the flow is off for three hours.

Tom R

Good point, forgot to mention that........:lol:

Der_Iron_Chef 07-24-2008 12:28 AM

Ok, I changed my DI resin out and I'm getting a consistent TDS reading of between 0 and 1.

albert_dao 07-24-2008 12:44 AM

Zeovit isn't a bandaid to smother out other problems. Any probiotic methodology will have strict guidelines that need to be monitored and adhered to.

From the sounds of it, your reactor isn't breaking in properly and you're still stuck in Phase 1.

Drew, try this:

Reduce the flow rate to 50 gph or so. Cut the use of any animo acids and/or auxillary supplements (iodine, iron, etc), stick to the basic four. From those, and as mentioned above, I'd do the following:

ZeoBak and Zeofood 2-3 drops daily for the first week after your exchange, switch to twice a week thereinafter. Make sure you're dosing near the feed pump of the reactor and only when it's on.

Zeofood should be added at .25 mL twice daily, again, near the pump and while it's on.

Since this is within your first rock exchange, hang on. Sometimes, establishing the zeolith filter is a PITA, but once you hit phase 2/3, it's smooth sailing.

HTH

Oceanic 07-24-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef (Post 336102)
Ok, I changed my DI resin out and I'm getting a consistent TDS reading of between 0 and 1.

Excellent! this is a great start, try the other suggestions and see what happens.

Aquattro 07-24-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic (Post 336095)
Zeovit works, but you must commit to doing it exactly as instructed.

That in itself is reason enough. I want to enjoy my tank, not spend more tim ein the sump room. RO water in, water changes bi-weekly out, smart feeding, efficient skimming, and I think that's all I need

Skimmin 07-24-2008 03:32 AM

I had great success with zeovit. If you are not you may want to try running ozone with the Zeovit but only OCCASIONALLY. I found that once I initially brought up the orp in my water from approx 180 to 320 it stayed in that range almost on its own (unless I fed heavy) I think once you remove the excess nutrients and organics from the water(with the ozone and skimmer) you have a much better chance keeping away pesky algae blooms. I had crystal clear water and the colour I had with my corals was awesome.I know that zeovit doesn't suggest running ozone with their product but I don't feel I had any problems due to it. I'm gonna use Zeovit again on my next tank. The only real kicker with Zeovit in my experience is the price.

Skimmerking 07-24-2008 06:14 AM

Wow Man that is alot of maintaining to get your tank looking like a picture. Well I use heavy skimming, CArbon, and Phosban, along with Kalk and i dont get that green algae build up i may get the odd Bubble algae on a patch here and there andthat is it. Or some rel turf that covers the rocks ,but then the phos ban takes care of that. the ocean doesn't use Zeo and look at what it looks like, yes i know that the ocean has all the proper supplements in to house what ever and the proper lighting and the corals to react to what ever mother nature throws out.

But i do know taking your time in doing water changes and getting good quality rocks and feeding the right amount and not over stocking your tank will give you the satisfaction of a nice looking tank. Yes all tank are different and do cycle different but that is what makes this hobby great understanding what has to be done and doing it to your time allowance.

REEF Roids
Zeo
and other products may have the right solution, and cost money. Well its not for me old fashion is the way to go in my books..

you tank will always have something wrong with its not like the ocean.. that is just my Opinion

albert_dao 07-24-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmodeus (Post 336166)
Wow Man that is alot of maintaining to get your tank looking like a picture. Well I use heavy skimming, CArbon, and Phosban, along with Kalk and i dont get that green algae build up i may get the odd Bubble algae on a patch here and there andthat is it. Or some rel turf that covers the rocks ,but then the phos ban takes care of that. the ocean doesn't use Zeo and look at what it looks like, yes i know that the ocean has all the proper supplements in to house what ever and the proper lighting and the corals to react to what ever mother nature throws out.

You're missing the point here. There's a huge difference between your average tank and an ultra low nutrient tank (ULN).

Anyone can run GAC, GFO and O3 and get a decent - good looking tank. Probiotic tanks, however, are on a whole different level. Take a look at the Interzoo pictures; the colors are AMAZING!. I friend of mine just came back from there and his comments went along the line of "Yeah, you know that new program? The new photoshop that you install on your fish tank instead of your computer? Yeah, they used it on those corals there.

Speaking of colors and ULN systems, you know what never fails to amaze me, people always talk about how pastel European corals look and never pause to consider the fact that pastel colors are some of the hardest to maintain. It's easy to have a super metallic Green Slimer or a deep, deep Red Robin Millepora, but someone out there pick up a Baby Blue Gemmifera and keep it looking like over 20 generations in the same (non-ULN tank) and I'll show you an unusually talented aquarist!

As far as the ocean not using Zeo? No, not in the way imagine it doesn't, but there are bacterial processes happening there that you will not be able to replicate using GAC, GFO and O3. Trust me, Zeovit is about as close to the Ocean as a reef tank gets, my friend. This keeping in mind that the ocean ISN'T a closed system like our tanks either.

Quote:

But i do know taking your time in doing water changes and getting good quality rocks and feeding the right amount and not over stocking your tank will give you the satisfaction of a nice looking tank. Yes all tank are different and do cycle different but that is what makes this hobby great understanding what has to be done and doing it to your time allowance.

That's how you run a normal tank. It's not how you get a ULN tank.

Quote:

REEF Roids
Zeo
and other products may have the right solution, and cost money. Well its not for me old fashion is the way to go in my books..

you tank will always have something wrong with its not like the ocean.. that is just my Opinion

I don't agree with SUV's being allowed on the road, but I don't like SMART cars either. I'm also not a huge fan of the silent Jihad that's slowly permeating our society. I also am of the mind that tax dollars going to fund safety injection centers is an absolute crock of Donkey Dung =P That's my Opinion, haha.

Personally, I'm glad our hobby allows room for everyone to achieve success in different ways, so cheers to that!