Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tank stand done today. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1963)

BCReefer 08-09-2002 12:09 PM

Tank stand done today.

OK now I don’t know if I am that naïve, but do you not put support beams across the open span to support the bottom of the tank? :confused:

I always thought that was a given, if not well colour me blue. :D I just thought the tank glass is not strong enough to hold the pressure of the glass and the rock and you had to put down something like 2x6 or such to add the additional support.

As you can tell I always buy commercial stands, unless until I get a bigger tank.

Patrick

Aquattro 08-09-2002 12:16 PM

Tank stand done today.

Patrick, even when you buy a stand, the bottom glass doesn't touch anything. The frame raises it a 1/4" or so. The bottom is strong enough to hold the weight. If you look closely at your tank, you'll notice the glass isn't touching anything. Unless it's acrylic, which then requires full bottom support.

ldzielak 08-09-2002 01:19 PM

Tank stand done today.

Brad looks great!!! :D

But I have to say when I was building my tank, I talked to the boys a SeaStar and they said that they support the bottoms of big reef systems. Like 200+G systems. They recomended for my 120G with 4 holes in the bottom to put 1-1.5" of ply wood down on top of the stand frame. Then to use some carpet to take up the gap between the tank edge and glass bottom. I ended up using 2x 5/8" sheets screwed together and then contact cemented the carpet to the wood.

Lee

[ 09 August 2002, 09:20: Message edited by: Lee ]

Aquattro 08-09-2002 03:52 PM

Tank stand done today.

Thanks Lee. I do have a sheet of 3/4 ply under the tank covered with 1/2" styrofoam. I don't believe it touches the foam though.

BTW, were you still interested in the 75g?

ldzielak 08-09-2002 09:48 PM

Tank stand done today.

Brad you got Mail!!

sea gnome 08-20-2002 06:26 PM

Tank stand done today.

Hi Brad. what a great looking set up. I would like to see that in person sometime. Rachel

Aquattro 08-20-2002 09:31 PM

Tank stand done today.

Rachel, all I need is about 5 minutes advance warning and you're welcome to stop by. I'm near the Monkey Tree pub if you get to that area much.

Troy F 08-20-2002 09:54 PM

Tank stand done today.

Quote:

Rachel, all I need is about 5 minutes advance warning and you're welcome to stop by
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Careful, five minutes happens to be the exact amount of time needed to shave, put a little cologne on and jump into the little Hugh Heffner outfit.

Aquattro 08-20-2002 10:14 PM

Tank stand done today.

Thanks Troy, thanks a lot!! BTW, you know you're sworn to secrecy about that sort of stuff, don't you? It's a guy rule.. ;)

Troy F 08-20-2002 10:26 PM

Tank stand done today.

OOops! Sorry Brad, btw, your set up looks great!