Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wellp, here's that video of the Vertex sump :D (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116907)

Aquattro 11-27-2015 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 971548)
I'm going to kindly disagree with you here. Having seen what the industry is like in the States and abroad, I'm fairly confident in saying that a serious setup down South bears very little resemblance to what we see on the boards.

Agreed, lots of people willing and able to drop that kind of cash. It's a purdy unit for sure, just not something for me this side of a lottery win :)

gregzz4 11-27-2015 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46er (Post 971538)
I'm fairly confident in saying that a serious setup down South bears very little resemblance to what we see on the boards.

So show us what you are referring to ...

albert_dao 11-27-2015 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 971551)
So show us what you are referring to ...

I didn't take pics, but if you doubt me, than I'll just leave it at that. My ego has no stake in this haha.

gregzz4 11-27-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 971554)
I didn't take pics, but if you doubt me, than I'll just leave it at that. My ego has no stake in this haha.

I was referring to e46er's comment and was sincere

e46er 11-27-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 971546)
Sad to say I've prolly spent 10K on my 75g setup, but I see your point.
A sump is a $500 venture for the better setups, and $150 for an el-cheapo unit.

i also have spent probably 9-10 grand over the years upgrading and changing stuff but you spent 10 grand right off the bat to setup a 75G without livestock? I cant even imagine how thats possible
even with an apex BK couple radions and couple vortechs that still leaves you over 5 grand for the tank rocks sand sump return pump few reactors and plumbing and heaters.

albert_dao 11-27-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46er (Post 971570)
i also have spent probably 9-10 grand over the years upgrading and changing stuff but you spent 10 grand right off the bat to setup a 75G without livestock? I cant even imagine how thats possible
even with an apex BK couple radions and couple vortechs that still leaves you over 5 grand for the tank rocks sand sump return pump few reactors and plumbing and heaters.

Heh, you arent accounting for accumulated mistakes which should be factored into a build, IMO :p

The Codfather 11-27-2015 05:44 PM

sweet sump....

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/t...psegmtumgj.jpg

Aquattro 11-27-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 971603)
Heh, you arent accounting for accumulated mistakes which should be factored into a build, IMO :p

Those put me in excess of 30k after all the years :) And that's being optimistic!

e46er 11-28-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 971603)

ah yes IMO they should not be counted.IMO A build is how it sits.or the cost to build it up as it sits. "how much are you into the hobby for?" is where I would count it all.
i went from a 150 MH fixture to a 250 MH fixture to LED 3 mag returns and finally settled on a snapper. lots and lots heaters and powerheads over the years i woudnt include. i wouldnt say well since ive bought 3 lights and a dozen various pumps n powerheads so add 3 grand to it.

i relate it to vehicles. i bought my first car at 16, bought a BMW at 20 wanted a nice truck at 23 to haul bikes and dogs around easily so i bought a ram laramie not realizing what a pile of crap it was and currently have a ford platinum. i wouldnt consider that truck cost 200 grand since i made a few mistake purchases prior and decided to upgrade.

this is just how I interpret the question