Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Nano Tank Talk (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Sand bed maintenance in a nano? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101833)

mrhasan 11-07-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 857328)
Don't we all want crystal clear water, and clean rocks and sand? That's what getting all the nutrients out of your tank is all about. And with zero nitrates and phosphates.

At this time, I no longer vacuum my sand. That's because it is now divided up between 2 tanks, and is not very deep anywhere. Some parts of the bottom are actually bare, because of the water currents. And the gobies do a good job to ensure detritus doesn't build up anywhere.

True that!

My sand bed is also shallow. I am a big anti-DSB (let's not start anything on that :lol:). I let bristles take care of ugly things :smile:

Reef Pilot 11-07-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 857331)
I let bristles take care of ugly things :smile:

Yeah, and you think they don't crap?...:biggrin:

Koleswrath 11-07-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 857325)
My last bad experience was with nitrate. Sand bed surface remains clean, I just don't wanna peek-a-boo with whats inside, bristle worms are there to keep things in check.

I guess it just comes down to how pristine you want your DT to be. I just like my glass (both inside and outside; I hate when people put finger prints on the glasses), my rocks and sand bed which is visible to the eye to be clean. And crystal clear water. Atleats I know, if I were to care about what's inside those sand bed, I would be thinking hard about the dead spots between and behind the rocks. :razz:

Dead spots behind the rocks are just as bad as the sandbed if the detritus is settling there and not being removed. But think about this, if you're afraid to take a peek into your sandbed because of settling detritus/excess nutrients what's preventing it from eventually filling up with this stuff and releasing it into your water at some point? Bristleworms create waste too.....

mrhasan 11-07-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 857333)
Yeah, and you think they don't crap?...:biggrin:

Crap = coral food + skimmer's job :lol: Hmmm now u r making me wonder what bristle worm's poop looks like...I would imagine poops with bristles :surprise: Maybe that's how they distinguish between theirs and others. :lol: Ok enough with hijacking OP's thread, bad me bad me! I got a Kien-ish thread to take care of now :redface:

Scuba Diver Gal 11-08-2013 12:59 AM

We have a 29 g biocube too and your question was a timely one for us. My son is a beginner...so am I...

Do we have to vacuum off his rocks? We had a turkey baster in there today and a ton of debris went into the air when it blew on the rocks. Then do we strain that out? So much to learn...sigh...Also, our nassarius snails seem to stir the sand up a lot. That's probably enough?

Scuba Diver Gal 11-08-2013 01:00 AM

Sorry, didn't mean "air" meant water. Anyway the debris was floating around.

Koleswrath 11-08-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Diver Gal (Post 857364)
We have a 29 g biocube too and your question was a timely one for us. My son is a beginner...so am I...

Do we have to vacuum off his rocks? We had a turkey baster in there today and a ton of debris went into the air when it blew on the rocks. Then do we strain that out? So much to learn...sigh...Also, our nassarius snails seem to stir the sand up a lot. That's probably enough?

You can vacuum, baste or use a powerhead to blow off your rocks. The bacteria in the rocks are always producing detritus which needs to be swept in to the water column for removal by either your skimmer or mechanical filtration means. Siphon the sand bed with your next water change to see what you can pull out of there. That will tell you if it's being stirred up enough.

Greg