Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Culturing brine shrimp in a reef tank? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104615)

rayjay 02-07-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason604 (Post 878808)
first trail 2 turkey bladders of live baby brine that I squirted into my chaeto and DT were floating around in my DT dead.

I don't know what trail 2 turkey bladders are.
If you are expecting the brine to survive in a tank, forget it.
First off, they don't live where predation exists, and, any pumps/ powerheads will kill them off fairly quickly. Also, there is nothing in the tanks for them to feed on anyway and they quickly loose their nutrition other than protein.

jason604 02-08-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay (Post 878846)
I don't know what trail 2 turkey bladders are.
If you are expecting the brine to survive in a tank, forget it.
First off, they don't live where predation exists, and, any pumps/ powerheads will kill them off fairly quickly. Also, there is nothing in the tanks for them to feed on anyway and they quickly loose their nutrition other than protein.

lol damn iphone auto correct.. 2 turkey blasters* anyways i fed it some frozen mysis and i saw him pecking it at it a few times then spit a tiny bit out.. did it a few times. Is this a good sign? i tried feedin him the live brine shrimp babies but it doesnt seem to see it

rayjay 02-08-2014 03:37 AM

Yes, unless the mandarin is very small, it probably isn't interested in brine shrimp nauplii. You would have to grow them out to juvenile and try again.

daniella3d 02-08-2014 04:07 AM

feeding a mandarin with live white worms is much less of a trouble than having to hatch brine shrimp and the worms usually get to the liverock and bottom where the mandarin can eat them easily, as it is hard for a mandarin to eat free swimming things.

jason604 02-08-2014 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 878827)
Might have been a question to ask before you got the mandarin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella3d (Post 878893)
feeding a mandarin with live white worms is much less of a trouble than having to hatch brine shrimp and the worms usually get to the liverock and bottom where the mandarin can eat them easily, as it is hard for a mandarin to eat free swimming things.

Interesting. Wonder where I can get these. My fish is about inch

rayjay 02-08-2014 02:08 PM

Did you have any specific type of white worm in mind?
All I've ever read about white worms is that they are really high in EPA, too high as far as some are concerned, and not high enough in DHA for the needs of salt water fish.
White worms are big with fresh water fish but they don't have the DHA needs that salt water fish do.