Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Potassium - Who cares? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111939)

kien 02-05-2015 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 933450)
I guess for me, I've never cared, wouldn't know what it should be and never felt my tank was lacking anything. I'll continue not caring :)

+1.

I don't think I have ever even tested potassium. I suspect my water changes keep K in check.

Myka 02-05-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 933779)
I don't think I have ever even tested potassium. I suspect my water changes keep K in check.

Depends which salt you're using.

kien 02-05-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 933802)
Depends which salt you're using.

I rotate between h2Ocean and reed crystals. I hope I'm using the right salts :lol:

Myka 02-05-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 933803)
I rotate between h2Ocean and reed crystals. I hope I'm using the right salts :lol:

No, you're screwed. :p I haven't tested RC (haven't used RC in over a decade). H2O is low - around 300 ppm IIRC. I add 4 tsp Brightwell Potassion to 15 gallons of H2Ocean and this keeps it up in my tank doing 10% weekly or bi-weekly waterchanges. Give it a shot Kien! You will only see a difference if it is and has been low for awhile (obviously).

The Guy 02-05-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 933450)
I guess for me, I've never cared, wouldn't know what it should be and never felt my tank was lacking anything. I'll continue not caring :)

Ditto to this statement. :smile:

kien 02-05-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 933805)
No, you're screwed. :p I haven't tested RC (haven't used RC in over a decade). H2O is low - around 300 ppm IIRC. I add 4 tsp Brightwell Potassion to 15 gallons of H2Ocean and this keeps it up in my tank doing 10% weekly or bi-weekly waterchanges. Give it a shot Kien! You will only see a difference if it is and has been low for awhile (obviously).

Well now you've got me thinking about potassium.. And here I was sitting in blissful ignorance. Thanks Mindy! Or should I be thanking Brad?? It's a conspiracy!

christyf5 02-05-2015 03:49 PM

I care when I have time. I haven't had time to care lately. I used to dose potassium religiously and my tank looked fabulous. Then I stopped for some reason, my tank still looked fabulous. Then my tank didn't look fabulous. Not sure if it was potassium related or phosphate related. One of those P ones.

Myka 02-06-2015 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 933808)
Well now you've got me thinking about potassium.. And here I was sitting in blissful ignorance. Thanks Mindy! Or should I be thanking Brad?? It's a conspiracy!

:lol: Doooo it! It's not like it's expensive or difficult.

gregzz4 02-06-2015 03:55 AM

All I can find on the web tells me natural seawater is about 380ppm

A testing problem I have is the Elos turbidity kit has a small range between 300 and 400, so it's near impossible to tell what the results are, and this leads me to believe it's not worth dosing as maybe I'll add too much and upset my critters

I'm with Brad and others ... frequent WCs and ignore the K issue altogether

Aquattro 02-06-2015 05:02 AM

After all the input, I've decided I still don't care. Just looked in tank, it all looks fine. Think I'll just sit and watch it instead of mucking around with it.