Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   my 131g FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61719)

golf nut 03-01-2010 06:40 AM

The drawing shows using "dirty water" to force fresh into the system, therefore mixed water will go to the sump, or is there another idea you have in mind?

kien 03-01-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freezetyle (Post 497158)
Wow. im sure this tank will look great.

Just out of curiosity, How do you keep your wife happy enough to have three sizable tanks? A few people on here have their spouses nagging them over a small nano tank.

Some men have all the luck:lol:

i get what you saying about the water change station. I think where people are getting mixed up on is that fact that your actually closing the line and draining the w/c tank before filling it with the new water. then opening it back up to the system

Yes, that's exactly what's happening!

Wife doesn't mind the hobby. She loves the tanks, but mostly when I'm working on the tanks she knows exactly where I am. I'm either in the tank, under the tank, or at Red Coral. :lol:

kien 03-01-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr OM (Post 497160)
The drawing shows using "dirty water" to force fresh into the system, therefore mixed water will go to the sump, or is there another idea you have in mind?

no that's pretty much what's happening I think?

1) Display tank drains into the water change tank and water change tank drains into the sump. Everything flows as one system.
2) Take the water change tank off line (out of the loop) by turning bypass valves so that now the display tank drains directly into the sump.
3) Water change tank is now isolated.
4) Drain the water change tank, refill and mix with new salt water.
5) Now put the water change tank back into the system by turning the bypass valves back thus forcing the new salt water through the system.

golf nut 03-01-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 497162)
no that's pretty much what's happening I think?

1) Display tank drains into the water change tank and water change tank drains into the sump. Everything flows as one system.
2) Take the water change tank off line (out of the loop) by turning bypass valves so that now the display tank drains directly into the sump.
3) Water change tank is now isolated.
4) Drain the water change tank, refill and mix with new salt water.
5) Now put the water change tank back into the system by turning the bypass valves back thus forcing the new salt water through the system.

Maybe the scale is confusing if all you are doing is a 10 to 15% water change, doing what you are saying will work fine, it just seems like a lot of plumbing and space to do a water change.

karazy 03-01-2010 01:44 PM

looks like this will be a good build kien. let me know if you needany help on it.
also, let me know if you want any specifcic FOWLR-like fish and ill talk straight to the boss.

kien 03-01-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karazy (Post 497182)
looks like this will be a good build kien. let me know if you needany help on it.
also, let me know if you want any specifcic FOWLR-like fish and ill talk straight to the boss.

Thanks Evan!! I haven't quite pushed the 'GO!' button on this one yet but getting close I think.. At any rate, keep an eye out for a Banana Wrasse for me :biggrin:

Leah 03-01-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 497161)
Yes, that's exactly what's happening!

Wife doesn't mind the hobby. She loves the tanks, but mostly when I'm working on the tanks she knows exactly where I am. I'm either in the tank, under the tank, or at Red Coral. :lol:

She is a clever lady.:wink: You get to see Doug and I don't.:mrgreen:

BC564 03-01-2010 07:07 PM

The water change will work great.....sure will save alot of work.

burtonboy 03-02-2010 12:07 AM

I pretty much had the same idea for the bypass and water change tank for my 85 gallon reef tank i was a little skeptical on my design but looking at yours im thinking now that it will work!:mrgreen:
Cant wait to see this thing!

Daniel

kien 03-02-2010 12:37 AM

I've seen that water change design elsewhere so I think it'll work out. No one has convinced me otherwise so I think its a go!