Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Pisces Location (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56213)

Aquattro 09-25-2009 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyL (Post 450242)
I'll gladly support stores that sell puppies...

Those puppies that are being put there by the spca and animal services and the rescues and the...

But if theres a trendy name & price >400$ - then nope... Sorry...

To qualify my statement, yes, if the store is working with a rescue, and the dogs "showcase" at the store for exposure, and otherwise live in foster care, sure. If the store is buying litters from backyard or puppy mill breeders, cramming them in little boxes, hindering normal developmental behaviour all to make a profit, then no. Not that this thread is about that..

EmilyB 09-25-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ephraim (Post 450228)
So you are saying i lack a conscience then, because i strongly support some stores that sell puppies. Thanks guy. Can you feel in the ill-informed judgemental love?

Yes you lack conscience.

sharuq1 09-25-2009 05:29 AM

Wow what happened to this thread? :neutral:

EmilyB 09-25-2009 05:33 AM

Not all of you fish guys have knowledge about the statistics on the dogs that end up in shelters, I understand that.

Even just watch Animal Planet, please....

I used the term BYB, but these are just mini-puppy mills, supplying pet stores.

When you buy a "'friend" for the 10-15 years you hope for, do you not want some kind of good breeding behind that? That eliminates the health, temperament issues ?

Obviously, with floor mops, not so much....maybe that is the difference.

*** Rescue before you buy at a pet store, yes.

lorenz0 09-25-2009 05:37 AM

well here is my 2 cents, walked in and still not impressed with the salt water section. you can tell they rushed it. numberious species and over populated tanks, clowns fighting, so on and so forth. once again its a last resort place and to buy cheap tanks, thats it.

as for backyard breeding, i would gladly save a life of a dog rather than have it put down. i try not to think that things like that happen but it does. as for a rescue being $400, thats cause they are fixed and up to date with shots. pet stores don't make money on them, just to pay the vet bills and give the dog an oppertunity for a good home

sharuq1 09-25-2009 05:37 AM

I don't support puppy mills either, I just thought the thread got really off track, that's all ;) I think if you are going to invest in buying a pet like a dog, cat or bird that you are better off buying from a private breeder. Generally they have better quality animals, care very much about what they are doing and it is easy to weed out the legit breeders from the "mill" type if you know what to look for.

Sooo...let's talk about fish, lol

EmilyB 09-25-2009 05:41 AM

You guys really hate things getting off track don't you !!!:lol:

So, the thread was about Pisces. Someone should get some pics of that waterfall, maybe with someone feeding the Koi?

I'd ask about the monkeys...but better not...

EmilyB 09-25-2009 05:52 AM

The last store that supposedly had rescues had all the dogs go sick, and they never reappeared. (Old thread)

Rescues, or any other dogs, do not belong in cages in pet stores. Sorry.

There are many reputable rescue organizations to adopt from, and they won't include a pet store.

Done.

Maybe. :lol:

Binare 09-25-2009 06:04 AM

Am I on canreef.com or canine.com? I'm confused

AndyL 09-25-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorenz0 (Post 450279)
as for a rescue being $400, thats cause they are fixed and up to date with shots.

I've got two rescues that ran mid 200s for fixed and shots - I know some rescues use the funds to cover additional care... Others - well - I can think of a few who seem to be getting a lil big for their britches and need to get their heads outta their tookuses... You're not going to find someone to rescue that mutt if you can get a papered brindle bulldog for less from a puppymill :)

my .02

Let us have our rants :) Me and emilyb are good at them on occasion :)