Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Paddy's Ocean - 70 Gallon Mixed Reef **Phoenix Rebuild** (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478)

paddyob 07-23-2010 03:59 PM

Single overflow vs double

My friend presented a possible issue with the tank.... it only has a single overflow hole drilled.

He said that it could potentially overflow the tank if it gets plugged. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

This is my first overflow/sump system and I will take all the advice i can get.

abcha0s 07-23-2010 04:09 PM

Your friend is right. A single overflow is a disaster waiting to happen. It woudn't even be necessary for the hole to plug up. All it would take is for the return pump to decide to pump a little extra water and the tank would slowly fill to the point of overflowing.

The good news is - all is not lost.

You're tank has 3 holes drilled in it, not just one. If you bring the return lines up over the tank rim, you can use these holes as part of your overflow system. There is no reason why the return lines have to come in through the back of the tank.

Plesae do read about the 'beananimal' overflow. You're tank has everything you need for this and it is such a great overflow system. I used it on my first tank and will use it on my new tank as well.

Basically, all you would need is a single piece of acrylic bent into a L shape to create an internal coast to coast overflow. Have the piece custom made and use a minimum thickness of 1/4" to avoid bending under the water presurre inside the tank. You can use silicone to hold it in place. Silicone doesn't hold acrylic to glass very well, but for this purpose it works fine.

I can show you some pictures of how I did exactly what you need to do if you would like?

The only disadvantage of this approach is that you do lose some realistate inside the tank.

paddyob 07-23-2010 04:20 PM

Good Idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcha0s (Post 537073)
Your friend is right. A single overflow is a disaster waiting to happen. It woudn't even be necessary for the hole to plug up. All it would take is for the return pump to decide to pump a little extra water and the tank would slowly fill to the point of overflowing.

The good news is - all is not lost.

You're tank has 3 holes drilled in it, not just one. If you bring the return lines up over the tank rim, you can use these holes as part of your overflow system. There is no reason why the return lines have to come in through the back of the tank.

Plesae do read about the 'beananimal' overflow. You're tank has everything you need for this and it is such a great overflow system. I used it on my first tank and will use it on my new tank as well.

Basically, all you would need is a single piece of acrylic bent into a L shape to create an internal coast to coast overflow. Have the piece custom made and use a minimum thickness of 1/4" to avoid bending under the water presurre inside the tank. You can use silicone to hold it in place. Silicone doesn't hold acrylic to glass very well, but for this purpose it works fine.

I can show you some pictures of how I did exactly what you need to do if you would like?

The only disadvantage of this approach is that you do lose some realistate inside the tank.

THATS A GOOD IDEA!! I will be building my tank in so nobody would ever see the plumbing behind.... I will make it into a triple overflow and use pipe for returns (I assume) and bring them over the top in a hook-like manner.

If you have pics I would appreciate it!!

bignose 07-23-2010 10:10 PM

coast to coast overflows are way more efficient than a smaller overflow box in terms of surface skimming.

Slick Fork 07-24-2010 06:46 PM

Absolutely more efficient but they do rule out the use of a wavebox in the future so keep that in mind.

paddyob 08-01-2010 07:20 PM

Skimmer

On the way to pick up my skimmer.

Kevin here on Canreef has one for me... Euroreef RS80. Everything I read says this is a great skimmer and should be fine for a 70 gallon system.

I am not going to be over loading my bio load so hopefully it does the job!!!

paddyob 08-02-2010 01:34 AM

Skimmer

So I picked up the skimmer today. Thanks Kevotron!

Everything looks pretty good. There is a cover on the backside that appears to be "open" a bit but when I looked it seems that it is sealed inside so I hope its ok.

I will test it later... in the tub ha ha!!

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/pic...pictureid=3470

fishytime 08-02-2010 02:03 AM

Euro-reefs rock!.....you wont be sorry you bought it.......

bignose 08-02-2010 05:58 PM

I run a older style RS135 and it skims out dark nasty skimmate. Not sure why the company shut down but they made awesome skimmers. The only problem I had with mine is the pump has trouble restarting. When you plug in the pump blow into the air tube and the pump will start.

fishytime 08-03-2010 03:28 AM

[quote=bignose;539037] Not sure why the company shut down but they made awesome skimmers. [quote]

the company still exists......they just re-named....they are now reef dynamics and should be available here soon:biggrin:...