Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Two Part Solution Problem- Help! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110208)

gregzz4 11-14-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightrazorguy (Post 921082)
Quick update: I finally broke down and took the kalk stirrer ...

I gather you meant to type 'offline'

Sorry to hear about your losses Catalin

Keep the Kalk stuff in case you ever need to remove the 2-part for some reason, but ya, you should have removed the Kalk from the equation when you started 2-part ...

BTW, I've just this week stopped using DowFlake Xtra
I suspect issues from it and have switched to J&L's Schlobster Calcium Chloride

I now have about 40lbs of ice melter on hand :lol:

straightrazorguy 11-14-2014 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 921107)
I gather you meant to type 'offline'

Yes, Greg, I meant "offline". I still use Dow Flake CaCl2. What kind of issue do you suspect?

mseepman 11-14-2014 03:51 PM

I didn't see you mention what type of salt you are using...have you recently opened a new bucket? There can be other extenuating factors...not saying just salt but its something to consider.

gregzz4 11-15-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightrazorguy (Post 921128)
What kind of issue do you suspect?

There's a chance it's causing my GHA issues
My problems started less than a couple months after I started using the Dow and I haven't been able to get it in check since (6 freakin' months :twised:)

straightrazorguy 11-15-2014 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 921185)
I didn't see you mention what type of salt you are using...have you recently opened a new bucket? There can be other extenuating factors...not saying just salt but its something to consider.

Good point mseepman: I have always used IO salt. I don't remember starting a new bucket around the time of the problems. I also haven't made any huge water changes (I have been changing approx 5 gal per week). I test religiously and the parameters were always good.

I also use DOWflake for the calcium part, and Arm and Hammer baking soda for Alk. The Kalk I was using (offline now) was BRS Kalkwasser.

straightrazorguy 11-15-2014 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 921232)
There's a chance it's causing my GHA issues
My problems started less than a couple months after I started using the Dow and I haven't been able to get it in check since (6 freakin' months :twised:)

Have the GHA abated since you stopped using Dowflake? Have you heard of it causing problems?

gregzz4 11-15-2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightrazorguy (Post 921235)
Have the GHA abated since you stopped using Dowflake? Have you heard of it causing problems?

Haven't heard of any issues, but the elevated Bromide levels amongst whatever else is in this non-lab grade stuff made my mind up to switch
I've only started using it this week and expect to not see any results for a couple months
I'm thinking it'll take many WCs to remove what's in the tank now

I hope to have my new NSW tank online over the next couple weeks
This will allow me to perform 25% WCs

straightrazorguy 11-15-2014 03:56 AM

Greg, did you test for bromide? What were the levels in your tank after a few months of Dowflake?

gregzz4 11-15-2014 04:37 AM

Is there even a hobbyist kit for it ?

gregzz4 11-15-2014 04:40 AM

Hmm, maybe it's Bromine we're worried about, and apparently there are kits available online ... I'll think on it