Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wow Canreef has Died a lot over the last year. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104956)

christyf5 02-17-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 880874)
Same here. No letters after my name, so I'm certainly not an expert either.

but at least you're published :wink:

iceman86 02-17-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 880874)
Yeah like the quarantine threads lately. Holy crap there are a ton! I get tired of answering them all but I try to because I think it is very important :)

Iceman, I didn't answer your test kit question because I haven't used Red Sea test kits and I see a question about RowaPhos now that I didn't notice before - can't get them all. :)

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.

All good myka, I understand people have lives other than canreef. I was just making people aware of the issues with these test kits so they dont have to go through them and lose hundreds of dollars like I did.

Reef Pilot 02-17-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 880865)
Well, I think the traffic is here, just not a lot of willing people to offer help. I find that it's usually questions that have been beat to death, and the more experienced members just don't want to answer anymore.

So true... Same old stuff, ie, QT, cyano, new tank cycling, algae, RODI, LEDs, etc, etc... Would help if a quick search was done prior to posting a question. And maybe the more experienced members would be willing to help more, too, if they were thanked for their answers.

Then we get all the opinions based on what people have read on the forums, instead of their own direct experience. Popular opinion is not always right. And some advice is just plain bad,... leading to the needless death of livestock and frustrated newbies.

Having said all that, this forum is still the best source of information for salt water reef tanks. I certainly have learned a lot here,... and try to give back when I can. And sometimes fun to read some of the crazy drama here, too,... and a good laugh, too.

As for sponsors, those that aren't, are missing out. I know I have given business to many here that I otherwise would not have known about.

Aquattro 02-17-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 880878)
And sometimes fun to read some of the crazy drama here, too,... and a good laugh, too.

I could do with less of that, if it's all the same :)

Proteus 02-17-2014 11:56 PM

This has been a ongoing thread for the last year and while there has been sponsors leave there have also been new ones on the last 2 years
Sponsors such as aqua digital and Madjelly are more active than others and bring alot of life.
Ive gone from postin to reading but am still active. I always Google my issues before asking on here but at same time many of my questions Google brings up canreef threads. So I don't see a pointer creating new ones

I also notice the people who are saying canreefsbeen dead are the same people I haven't seen here in a year

Myka 02-18-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 880875)
but at least you're published :wink:

Haha, maybe it was fiction! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 880878)
So true... Same old stuff, ie, QT, cyano, new tank cycling, algae, RODI, LEDs, etc, etc... Would help if a quick search was done prior to posting a question. And maybe the more experienced members would be willing to help more, too, if they were thanked for their answers.

Although if everyone searched instead of posting new threads there would be no new threads. Catch 22!

There is definitely a lack of thanks, although lots of people do send thanks. It never fails to surprise me how rude some people can be in PM almost like they are demanding an answer instead of asking for advice. :neutral:

I'm going to be working on a bunch of new articles for the New to the Hobby forums, so hopefully this will spare some finger cramps from typing. :D

christyf5 02-18-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 880885)
Although if everyone searched instead of posting new threads there would be no new threads. Catch 22!

oh there will always be new threads, people always want an answer to their specific problem which is always different from other peoples specific problems :razz:

Myka 02-18-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 880890)
oh there will always be new threads, people always want an answer to their specific problem which is always different from other peoples specific problems :razz:

So strange how the same answer works though, eh? :p

chi 02-18-2014 01:24 AM

I like cupcakes

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

paddyob 02-18-2014 01:47 AM

IMO. The businesses leave as really... The Canreef crowd is insigificant percentage of business.

And the "clique" here basically talks crap about them regularily.

I myself could care less most days as everybody wants a deal and this forum cheapens the hobby by peer pressure causing sellers to greatly under value items they sell because people force them too.

I'm not surprised this place is crashing. It used to be great, but there are a few people who think they run the place and think they can speak for businesses and moderators. They really made this place a crappy place to solicit anything.

The mods are good. They do what they are told by the owner. But too many others really just get in the way and over step boundaries making it uncomfortable for posters.

I'm sure even myself is guilty of some if the "norms" this place created.