Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   FishyFishy!'s 155 bowfront fishroom/closet build (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78154)

Delphinus 11-09-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 648697)
So now I still need to get my sumps drilled and baffled (which is harder than one thought to find someone to do this for me...)

And then I start plumbing the tank through the wall! Yay!!

What size holes you need drilled? You're welcome to borrow my bits if I have the size you're looking for.

FishyFishy! 11-09-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 648824)
What size holes you need drilled? You're welcome to borrow my bits if I have the size you're looking for.

I need from 3/4" bulkhead holes up to 1.5" bulkhead holes

FishyFishy! 11-09-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowworld (Post 648704)
Wowzers Mr. Fishy! what pendants you going with? how are you doing on rock by the way? I got some over here that is doing nothing, you can have it for a beer or two if you want, I think there is about 20ish lbs here.

Sweet Yeah I'll take you up on that. I have to go buy a bunch of dry rock from Red Coral soon here and i'll start the aquascape. I'm going for three islands for a minimalist type look in the display, so the fish have lots of swimming room. Thats why I decided on the three sump idea, so that I could have tonnes of biological filtration that didn't have to come from rock in the display.

FishyFishy! 11-09-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 648809)
Road trip to Red Deer Mike, I would drill them & put in baffles for ya :biggrin:

I might just take you up on that Greg! Do you have lots of glass lying around to make the baffles?

MarkoD 11-09-2011 07:55 PM

Nice build.

Just wondering, is it ok for metal halides to be that close to the water?

Delphinus 11-09-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 648929)
I need from 3/4" bulkhead holes up to 1.5" bulkhead holes

I have bits for 1", 1.5" and 2" bulkheads. You could go with 1" bulkheads and step it down to 3/4" pipe if you want (I say just go with 1" but that's just me). Anyhow if that works just send me a PM.

FishyFishy! 11-09-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 648944)
Nice build.

Just wondering, is it ok for metal halides to be that close to the water?

It will be raised about 4" off the surface when the canopy is on. It's just sitting there for testing.

The Grizz 11-09-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 648937)
I might just take you up on that Greg! Do you have lots of glass lying around to make the baffles?

I do has some glass just not sure how much.

FishyFishy! 12-21-2011 02:32 PM

So I need some advice on my overflow setup. This thing came stock with 1 X 3/4" bulkhead and 1 X 1" bulkhead in each overflow. So it was a Durso setup and the 3/4" was probably for a return line.

So with the difference in the hole size, should I just go with the Durso setup? I've had them before and just find them a little noisey. However it did come with a brand new set of durso pipes I can use. I would love to do a herbie, but with the different sized holes, It would be sketchy to have a 1" main and a 3/4" emergency...no?

I'm also having trouble with the layout of the sumps as well. I was going to stack them one on top of another, but now it's not looking like I will have the room to stack them all. So I think I'm going to have to re-design the whole thing :-(

untamed 12-21-2011 09:50 PM

I don't think that is a problem at all. It depends on how much flow you are going to drop through those drains. Keep in mind that you have 2 primary and 2 emergency drains. Realistically, I doubt you will have a blockage in BOTH primaries at the same time. Also, the primaries don't tend to just stop dead suddenly, they are more likely to just block slightly, transferring only a portion of flow to the emergency drains.

Leave the emergency drains as straight pipes so you'll hear them if they become active.

Finally, just test it after. Block a drain and see what happens!