Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   help a 150g newb - let's do this reef together (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80709)

jon in alberta 12-19-2011 06:32 PM

yup on it jtbadco - thanks.

reefwars 12-19-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon in alberta (Post 662789)
yup on it jtbadco - thanks.

the eggcrate doesnt need to be glued down like you suggested i would almost make it the size of my tank bottom but i would keep it a few inchs away from the front or anywhere yourt tank will be viewed, so if your sand gets pushed around you wont end up seeing eggcrate endings.

jon in alberta 12-30-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon in alberta (Post 660631)
Specifically, I am looking at the Radion LEDs - what should I be thinking about? Does the watts/gallon apply with LEDs? ... advice please.

quoting myself ... ok?

So I am about to buy the Vertex Illumina 200 series 48" fixture (for my 60" tank). I hope that will be enough light down the road.

yikes! they are expensive ... but worth it IMO.

jon in alberta 01-02-2012 01:15 AM

aquascaping

anyone know any good references for aquascaping?

I have 100+ lbs of Marco live rock (dry) and am planing to add it to the aquarium before adding water. Will still need some living (cured?) rock to seed the aquarium.

please share you advice or what you might change.

Cheers

Skimmerking 01-02-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon in alberta (Post 666741)
anyone know any good references for aquascaping?

I have 100+ lbs of Marco live rock (dry) and am planing to add it to the aquarium before adding water. Will still need some living (cured?) rock to seed the aquarium.

please share you advice or what you might change.

Cheers

put it in and play with it and play some more until you like it., on my 240 i went with pillars. But you are limited to have what type of corals to grow on the rocks so I went back to leaning the rock in a wall like.

lastlight 01-02-2012 02:43 AM

What's the consensus with LED with regards to glass center braces? Is he ok to place one over that massive brace? Otherwise his scape might be somewhat dictated by that brace...

jon in alberta 01-02-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 666768)
What's the consensus with LED with regards to glass center braces? Is he ok to place one over that massive brace? Otherwise his scape might be somewhat dictated by that brace...

Thanks Brett,

I was just thinking the same thing tonight as I was working on the tank. The Vertex has the lights evenly spaced across the fixture. That would mean the middle lights would be obscured by my brace.

Does it make a difference? (the glass in the way). If so, I should go for the Radions and put them on either side of the glass brace, huh?

Jon

lastlight 01-02-2012 03:31 AM

With halides of course the heat issues would almost force you to use 2 lights and scape with two towers with a center valley. I'm asking not so much about the light penetration but the safety of have the LEDs over the glass brace. I'm thinking it would be ok as the fixtures are all designed to draw most of the heat out the top right?

jon in alberta 01-11-2012 08:20 PM

Got the Coral in!

Hi All,

I have the coral in the tank ... here is a pic. Let me know what you think. I still have to add about 20 lbs of live rock when the time comes (probably this weekend). Also, I have vacuumed out all the plastic chips from the eggcrate (before you post about that)

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/pic...pictureid=5135

I will be adding the sand shortly. I guess I can still move the corals after the sand and water ... but it will be a pain in the butt.

Thanks to asmodeus with the pillars suggestion - I kinda went for that on the left.

I bought the Vertex Illumina 260 from Red Coral (Randy here in Calgary was a big help). So I will be busy tonight hanging the LEDs and putting finishing touches on the stand.

Nano 01-11-2012 08:30 PM

that a neat aquascape so far! I like how one side will have more open space and the other will have caves, its balanced in that sense! good job