Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Greg's 75g (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81584)

WarDog 03-10-2016 05:06 AM

Brutal dude. All that surplus equipment came in handy. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

The Guy 03-10-2016 05:21 AM

:fear:Wow an upgrade that nobody wants, I guess if there's an upside at least you found the problem before a major gush.

kyl 03-10-2016 05:30 AM

Hope you get through to the new tank with minimal losses.

Ram3500 03-10-2016 06:01 AM

Sorry to hear you have to go through this :( I have this very recurring nightmare at least once a month. Lmk if you need any help.

gregzz4 03-10-2016 03:53 PM

Thanks for the good wishes and offers of help everybody
To add insult to injury, my power went out at 6:30 this morning
The fish will be OK as they have air and a Vortech, and I wrapped the tank with some towels
Not much I can do for the corals and live rock except put lids on the containers to keep some heat in

At least I can babysit because the power went out at work and everybody was sent home

Ginu 03-10-2016 05:10 PM

Dayum Greg... this is no fun...hope you get it all figured out and hopefully the warranty will be good to you.

My lights were flickering last night as well as I was setting up the new tank, however I was lucky enough not to get a power outage, however I was ready with air pumps for the sump and my vortechs would keep the water moving in the DT.

Let me know if you need help with anything, i even have a 120 custom starphire tank available soon (once the livestock moves to the new tank).

hillegom 03-10-2016 09:56 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems Greg. As said, good thing you were home to notice the problem. Not on holidays.
If you need anything let me know.

Delphinus 03-10-2016 10:01 PM

Man alive. :( Good luck sorting it all out.

albert_dao 03-10-2016 10:05 PM

0____0

Give me a shout if you run into any hiccups during the transfer Greg!

Etaloche 03-11-2016 10:34 AM

I'm happy to have been able to see your tank in its prime just a couple of weeks back. I don't have much to offer but if you need help or anything we're all here for you.

gregzz4 03-11-2016 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the support buds
At this point I'm just trying to minimize coral losses and deciding where to go from here
I'll most likely setup the replacement 75g as I don't think I can afford the tank I really want right now

brisco 03-11-2016 04:01 PM

If you need or would like a 50 gal, until your replacement comes, I have one you can borrow indefinitely.

Bryce

Bblinks 03-11-2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 985457)
Thanks for all the support buds
At this point I'm just trying to minimize coral losses and deciding where to go from here
I'll most likely setup the replacement 75g as I don't think I can afford the tank I really want right now

Sorry to hear about the leaky tank bud, really shitty. I still think its time for an upgrade. why go through all that hassle and end up with the same result. Let me know if you need anything.

gregzz4 03-12-2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisco (Post 985469)
If you need or would like a 50 gal, until your replacement comes, I have one you can borrow indefinitely.

Bryce

Thanks Bryce for the very kind offer. I think I'm OK for now but will keep it in mind :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bblinks (Post 985496)
Sorry to hear about the leaky tank bud, really shitty. I still think its time for an upgrade. why go through all that hassle and end up with the same result. Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks Bud
I hear ya about upgrading right now, but the money's not available. I've lost a bunch of coral already that could have helped to fund another tank. There just wasn't enough time to try to sell them.
I have a thought I'm working on for a replacement tank.
In the meantime, the warranty one is on it's way

So, update ...
The fish are all doing well in the 36g. Just have to get through the next few days to ensure no ammonia issues.
As for the corals;
-I've lost the majority of the green slimer, but still have the base. It's baseball sized so it'll grow back. It killed a bunch of stuff I wasn't worried about, but I had to throw out some rock
-Candy cane colony is mostly dead, but I'm giving it a chance in it's own water
-Hammer colony is gone
-Beautiful Favia colony is gone
-Lost half the gorgs, other half is unknown so far
-Setosa bleached out completely

As for the rest there's just minimal tip bleaching here and there, and some lightening of color but for the most part it looks like I may be able to salvage a fair amount that I wanted to keep
And surprisingly the RBTAs are hangin' in there as well as their crab

I've got to rig up a light I have here for the corals, test the big 3, maybe float some carbon and change some water. Can't put them in a tub with the skimmer.

FishyFishy! 03-12-2016 01:03 AM

Dang!!! Thats one heck of a leak! Sorry to hear about your losses. Terribly frustrating hobby sometimes.

Makes me think that im thankful for being an equipment hoarder if this were to happen to me lol.

gregzz4 03-12-2016 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 985530)
Dang!!! Thats one heck of a leak! Sorry to hear about your losses. Terribly frustrating hobby sometimes.

Makes me think that im thankful for being an equipment hoarder if this were to happen to me lol.

Ya, you and me both
If I didn't have all the buckets, totes, heaters, powerheads, thermometers, spare tanks, battery backup air and vortechs, and double ATOs I would have been in very serious trouble
Imagine draining a 75g display - where do you put 4 years of coral growth and a dozen fish ? :lol:

gobytron 04-22-2016 09:51 PM

the curse of this hobby can sometimes be a saving grace I guess.

Sometimes when I need to get something out of my basement, I avert my eyes from all of the aquarium equipment (which may or may not have any value) accumulated there.

but the odd time I guess it does come in handy.

WarDog 06-22-2016 01:12 AM

Update requested. What's happening?

Bblinks 06-22-2016 06:52 PM

:question::question::question::question::question:

gregzz4 06-23-2016 03:48 PM

Thanks for asking

Lots of progress;
Old sump and tank removed, carpet cleaned, electrical is getting a complete overhaul and is almost finished, did some carpentry, new tank is drilled and overflow installed/tested, new sump finished/tested, plumbing purchased.

Still need to finish electrical panel, move sump and tank in to place, move light hanger, plumb, more carpentry.
Then I can RO test the system, reprogram the controller, and fine tune whatever comes up.

Hoping to have it done in another month or so.
No finished product pics yet.

tang daddy 06-23-2016 04:22 PM

Thanks for the update, you must be glad you have abit of time off to do that work buddy!

Bblinks 06-23-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 994056)
Thanks for asking

Lots of progress;
Old sump and tank removed, carpet cleaned, electrical is getting a complete overhaul and is almost finished, did some carpentry, new tank is drilled and overflow installed/tested, new sump finished/tested, plumbing purchased.

Still need to finish electrical panel, move sump and tank in to place, move light hanger, plumb, more carpentry.
Then I can RO test the system, reprogram the controller, and fine tune whatever comes up.

Hoping to have it done in another month or so.
No finished product pics yet.

Hopefully we can see them pictures soon.:biggrin:

gregzz4 06-25-2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bblinks (Post 994072)
Hopefully we can see them pictures soon.:biggrin:

Soon my friend, soon

Thanks SO much for helping me pack the tanks upstairs tonight !!
Now I can start plumbing, and get all the other stuff done too

Bblinks 06-25-2016 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 994128)
Soon my friend, soon

Thanks SO much for helping me pack the tanks upstairs tonight !!
Now I can start plumbing, and get all the other stuff done too

Your welcome!

gregzz4 07-15-2016 02:22 AM

Extremely short update;

System is running; rocks went in Mon and sand Wed.
Raw shrimp is hanging in the tank and thinking of adding more as I haven't seen any NH3 yet in 4 days. Maybe it'll take more time to start rotting, so I'm watching my Ammo Alert badges morning and night. I've been adding Seachem Stability. Maybe it's hindering the NH3 readings ...

Still have some hardware setup to do, and I've been severely neglecting the 36g holding tank so some maintenance had to happen tonight.

Pics will have to wait 'till I have free time. Lots of pics to post of the new build.
Got home @ 4 and won't be finished messing around tonight 'till prolly 8-9 or later. Then up @ 6am for work.

Also considering starting a new thread for this re-build ... Greg's 75g upgrade-ish re-build

Stay tuned ... :wink:

gregzz4 07-15-2016 03:25 AM

OMG!!

Shrimp in tank, or rather Jumbo Prawn, is definitely rotting PEW :puke:

Just added 5 more

Hope I get some ammonia happening this weekend

Tank eats better than I do :wink:

mrhasan 07-15-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 995108)
OMG!!

Shrimp in tank, or rather Jumbo Prawn, is definitely rotting PEW :puke:

Just added 5 more

Hope I get some ammonia happening this weekend

Tank eats better than I do :wink:

There are other ways to get ammonia in the tank...just saying :wink:

Glad to know that things are coming along boss ( :wink: ) :)

hillegom 07-16-2016 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 995119)
There are other ways to get ammonia in the tank...just saying :wink:

Glad to know that things are coming along boss ( :wink: ) :)

Yes and that's free
U can eat the shrimp then.

gregzz4 07-31-2016 03:36 AM

Tank rebuild is located here

WarDog 07-31-2016 08:19 AM

R.I.P.