Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Rice Reef's 120 SPS Reef Tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80540)

Stones 12-01-2012 01:07 PM

Great looking macros again. You've got some crazy PE going on in that tank and the colors of those SPS are pretty unreal.

What do you normally do to get your white balance adjusted properly? I find when taking photos of the tank I can never consistently get my white balance adjusted to show the true colors of the corals.

Rice Reef 12-01-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stones (Post 769088)
Great looking macros again. You've got some crazy PE going on in that tank and the colors of those SPS are pretty unreal.

What do you normally do to get your white balance adjusted properly? I find when taking photos of the tank I can never consistently get my white balance adjusted to show the true colors of the corals.

Thanks again. I am quite lucky so far that the corals are now growing and colouring up. I would have to say that this set up is now 1 yr old and it has had a few set backs too. I am currently having a war against cyano and I may want to add more flow in the back and I am thinking that the biopellets may be the culprit to the cyano as I added biopellets over gfo six months ago... May consider adding gfo back now if I cannot beat e cyano with Zeozym and coral snow.

As for the white balance, I am just shooting with AWB with my Canon 5D mark iii. It seems to work fine (new processor?) however, with my prev Canon I usually set it to 10000K.

Duker 12-01-2012 07:22 PM

Wow Wayne, those are soo SWEET!!!! Not to mention the snazzy photo skills! Cheers Ronnie

ashr 12-03-2012 12:55 AM

I love your photo's wish i could do this kind of quality.

What is your light set up again?

Rice Reef 12-03-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashr (Post 769524)
I love your photo's wish i could do this kind of quality.

What is your light set up again?

Thanks. I just take lots and practice does make it better. At the time when I took the last bunch of photos on Friday the Radions were running at 20k., prob the better time for pics.

kien 12-03-2012 05:17 AM

wow, just caught up with your latest photos and.. wow.. You've got quite the nice collection there and all doing fabulous! So now that you've pretty much got her dialed in, what's your husbandry like these days? That is, water change amount and schedule, dosing, additives, etc.

Rice Reef 12-03-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 769639)
wow, just caught up with your latest photos and.. wow.. You've got quite the nice collection there and all doing fabulous! So now that you've pretty much got her dialed in, what's your husbandry like these days? That is, water change amount and schedule, dosing, additives, etc.

Thanks again. I'm just fortunate that most things are going well. Right now I am fighting a war against cyano. I've tried chemi clean and I think that it made it worst so I am now trying other methods like using Zeozym, coral snow and i am adding MB7 and vinegar with it. I think it may be the biopellets as I did not have had it this bad before.

I've learned a lot from people I've met along the ways and applied their methods to mine.

Water change: 20% every three weeks... I would like to do 20% every two weeks if time permits. I see vast improvements when I went from four to three.

Dosing: DIY Alk, CA and MG right now... Planning to go with CA reactor soon... Probably in a yr.. Just want to use up what supply I have left still before switching.

Carbon:changed every two weeks and I top up the biopellets when it gets low in the reactor. I am thinking of adding back GFO if I can't fight off the cyano

Skimmer: clean the skimmer cup once a week and the whole skimmer twice a yr..

ATO:but not currently using it as I am able to top off daily right now ( why I don't use it as it gives me a reason to spend some time with the tank). I do plan to use it if I do get go away for a few days, holiday etc... Having the salinity levels being consistent helps...

Feeding: feed frozen food every two or three days and if feed nori and dry pellets daily ( but lightly, of course).

Other Dosing:
add Zeozym twice a week ( I am adding daily right now) starting dec 5th
Coral Snow nightly
Vinegar daily
MB7 weekly
Biomate weekly

I am planning to make some changes soon particularly on the rockscaping... Now that I have a better idea of how each of the SPS are growing I can redo the Tank. Thank goodness I have kept my 90 gallon in the garage. I won't be keeping all the corals so I am planning to have a second/ frag tank in the garage soon. Planning on this now... Devating to getting a new 4 ft long tank but shallower... 18 inches instead of 24? Considering changing the main lights and use the current lights for the garage tank...

Any advice and recommendations?

kien 12-03-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice Reef (Post 769654)
Any advice and recommendations?

It looks and sounds like you've got everything under control :-) My advice would be don't change a thing LOL. I have a feeling that wasn't the advice you were hoping for though :lol:

Rice Reef 12-03-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 769660)
It looks and sounds like you've got everything under control :-) My advice would be don't change a thing LOL. I have a feeling that wasn't the advice you were hoping for though :lol:

Thanks again. I guess that if it ain't broken dont fix it. :lol:

kien 12-03-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice Reef (Post 769661)
Thanks again. I guess that if it ain't broken dont fix it. :lol:

That's the idea, but you and I both know that in this hobby that's a hard rule for us with OCD to follow :lol: