Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Scott's 270g aka Project Mayhem (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96323)

Scythanith 12-31-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefermadness (Post 869932)
Nice....glad to see those frags surviving the transition.

I will need to buy some of the SPS frags again…. the Acropora sp. didn't do well in the holding tank but 3 survived.

Mad Jelly will get an email once the tank is stable :)

BlueTang<3 12-31-2013 03:14 AM

Those are some crazy corals you got in there, I'm envious

Scythanith 01-16-2014 06:18 AM

I am working on ordering some of these up to replace my zip tie fasteners. I pulled the stainless steel hose clamps that came with my abyzz pumps, as they were corroding. I put two heavy duty zip ties on each end and tightened the hell out of them. But the back pressure on my manifold ended up popping the silicone connector right off of the lower pump. I was lucky that the pump flipped forward and starved itself of water by the intake sucking itself to the glass. I was lucky that in itself didn't crack the glass. Anywho, I put some weight, an old quiet ones pump, on the top of the abyzz to keep it from pressuring out of the silicone connector.

I am hoping the 100% titanium base clamps will do the job. Does anyone else have experience with them?

Cheers,
Scott

sphelps 01-16-2014 02:55 PM

You can get plastic hose clamps as well, but 100% titanium would be ideal.

IanWR 01-16-2014 03:44 PM

I'm surprised the abyzz pumps don't come with corrosion-proof clamps in the first place. At least there are options out there.

Scythanith 01-17-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWR (Post 873754)
I'm surprised the abyzz pumps don't come with corrosion-proof clamps in the first place. At least there are options out there.

I was surprised the Abyzz ones **** the bed so quickly as well. I wasn't happy to be honest but ces't la vie. I am ordering some titanium hose clamps from a company out of Spain, called Mikalor.

reefermadness 01-17-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 869937)
I will need to buy some of the SPS frags again…. the Acropora sp. didn't do well in the holding tank but 3 survived.

Mad Jelly will get an email once the tank is stable :)

Oh sorry to hear that.

Scythanith 01-18-2014 01:45 AM

I lost the ORA Red Planet, WF cobalt tort, Lime in the Sky stag and glowstick Sarmentosa. All the monti's, the undata, and pink lemonade and kushberry are doing well, as are the chalices & pectina.

Scythanith 01-20-2014 11:37 PM

100% 50-70mm Titanium worm clamps…… $55 a piece. Well, at least I know the pumps shouldn't explode off unexpectedly.

Scythanith 02-02-2014 08:08 PM

I also put a 1/2" loc-line valve on my return from the bottom sump to increase the back pressure to force more water to the reactors. I haven't been able to utilize it much as I am not home to put the new Ti hose clamps on and I don't dare increase the back pressure while it's only zip ties holding it together :)

Tank is looking ok. I am have a cyan issue in the sand and on the lower rocks. Corals are doing great though! I am going to up my water changes and maybe refresh my GFO and debating adding more bio-pellets now but I will take it one step at a time.