Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Favourite Salt? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89864)

Aquattro 10-05-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweet ride (Post 752279)
Kent for me!

How long have you used Kent? I used to use it years ago, but then the formula appeared to change. They sold the contract or something??

sweet ride 10-05-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 752286)
How long have you used Kent? I used to use it years ago, but then the formula appeared to change. They sold the contract or something??

Been using it since the beginning of the year. Am on my 4th box now and am happy with the result so far. The numbers on a fresh mixed batched (after 24 hours) are a bit high but my system seems to be on par.

Aqua-Digital 10-08-2012 07:49 PM

Been using RC since times gone by, might switch this time though I find the alk and Ca too high.

Jim 10-16-2012 01:26 PM

I use Tropic Marin.

Derek14 10-18-2012 02:28 PM

I use H2ocean. I used to use IO,but I got a bad box once and I never gone back. H2ocean has been rock solid for me for over 2 years now.

molotov 10-19-2012 10:02 PM

I use H2Ocean. I don't have to dose a single thing and it mixes crystal clear.

mess7777 10-22-2012 12:35 PM

Royal Nature here. It dissolves extremely easily, a few stirs and it's a done deal. Very happy with it.

Tomjay 10-30-2012 01:52 AM

I use Tropic Marin Pro

mtlreeffreak 10-30-2012 02:53 AM

Royal nature here..

chi 04-02-2013 10:30 PM

Using IO since dec. first salt ive used. kh is low. so is magnesium. might switch soon....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

Aqua-Digital 04-02-2013 10:32 PM

Does anyone else find IO makes your water go cloudy after water change?

chi 04-02-2013 10:39 PM

it doesnt mix clear (powerhead running overnight.) makes my tank go cloudy. youre right.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

Aqua-Digital 04-02-2013 10:44 PM

glad i am not alone

91Atrac 04-03-2013 05:21 PM

I used seachem reef salt. Worked nicely but always left a weird white crust on everything. When I start up my next tank ill be trying h2ocean or io reef crystals. Tropic marine is expensive for me.

saltyair 04-03-2013 06:27 PM

I have tried the following salt mixes

royal nature
IO
IO reef
dd H2O

Having tried these salt mixes I have found that h2o is far the best overall salt - I saw a change in my corals and have almost stopped dosing.

Second I would pick royal nature - biggest issue was quality control.

IO - perfect low price for fowlr aquarium

Did not like IO reef crystals at all - didnt mix well and also inconstant parm's

Aqua-Digital 04-03-2013 06:37 PM

H2o seems to be getting the biggest thumbs up these days, although i am going to try tropic marin Pro.

noirsphynx 04-03-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaloupa (Post 748653)
I am using H2Ocean in my tanks...however am switching some customers over to Fluval Sea...specifically have one target tank full of corals that has been on H2Ocean but moving it to the Fluval as I like what they say it will do...only time will tell as this salt took quite some time to actually hit the market...it's not cheap either so .... will see...

it's always interesting to see what salt people use and why....I REALLY like that both H2O and Fluval Sea mix amazingly crystal clear with no residue..no "dirty" bucket like when we use the Seachem or IO salt...ugh! My own tank at home will be another tank we test the Fluval Sea on....

I've tried H2Ocean but found my zoas didn't really like it. I was using Reef Crystals but found it didn't keep my alkalinity/calcium levels up. I've switched to Fluval Sea and really like how it mixes, everything in my tank seems to like it and my levels are much better now.

Toongraeme 05-11-2013 07:07 PM

Anywhere in Edmonton supply Red Sea coral pro?

Proteus 05-11-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toongraeme (Post 817790)

Big Al's is the only place I've seen it

Toongraeme 05-11-2013 07:17 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out this week

Phil 05-11-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirsphynx (Post 808310)
I've tried H2Ocean but found my zoas didn't really like it. I was using Reef Crystals but found it didn't keep my alkalinity/calcium levels up. I've switched to Fluval Sea and really like how it mixes, everything in my tank seems to like it and my levels are much better now.

I didn't like H2O either, I usually use reef crystals but I find low alk and mag so I just picked up a bucket of salinity to try out.
Also seen red sea pro at big ALS.

somewherebeyondthesea 05-11-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toongraeme (Post 817790)

I get mine at Big Als on Boxing Day (cheaper) I really enjoy Red Sea, But a large Bucket will last me all year (till next boxing day):wink: But that's cuz I only have 4 nanos.

Toongraeme 05-11-2013 11:19 PM

Haha, cool..... It's what I used back in the uk. I'm sure I've asked on here in the past aswell lol....

Baker 05-12-2013 02:02 PM

I started out with IO and made a switch to Red Sea Coral Pro and everything looks pretty happy. Im a newb thought so I dont think I really have anything to base an opinion on.

paddyob 05-12-2013 02:32 PM

I like H2Ocean as its supposed to be natural sea salt... Jacked with the appropriate elements.

I believe all others are synthetic salt.

That was my sole reason for choosing it. But it also works very well. It's not an "instant ocean " as it recommends letting it mix for 24hrs.

I have a mix barrel so no big deal here.

Toongraeme 05-12-2013 06:11 PM

I started with kent salt about 10 years ago, then moved onto reef crystals. For the last year or so in the uk I was using Red Sea coral pro. I used to mix it the day before and never had any problems. I thought it was great for sps because the alk and calcium are high. H2Ocean had some mixed reviews in the uk. So I'm really just wanting to stick with what I know.....

SanguinesDream 05-13-2013 02:02 AM

Fluval Sea, because it mixes so nice and has added Calcium that my SPS love. I've noticed quite a difference.

SanguinesDream 05-13-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirsphynx (Post 808310)

+1. Honestly it is worth the peace of mind knowing that if I miss a week on dosing it isn't going to make or break it.

chi 05-25-2013 12:07 AM

Where can I find fluval sea salt in the lower mainland bc area? Vancouver. Burnaby areas.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

chi 06-24-2013 11:36 PM

Just bought a new salt to try. Since there was no one posting on this salt. S
Ive decided to be the forum guinea pig, i got the Aquavitro salinity. Each bucket has a guranteed value. My first batch had a really low alkalinity so I decided to mix the salt by pouring out the salt to another bucket and repeating that process by three times. My second batch of mix matched the results well. High calcium mag and alk.
Mixes cloudy. (Followed all the methods to mix salt, salt added to water then bringing up the temp but still cloudy. When added to the tank partially cloudy it cleared up within 15 minutes. Had no ill effects on my corals. Sps lps. Softies.
Liking it for the nice guranteed stats. Hate the mixing.

I also found fluval sea salt at aquariumswest in dt vancouver. The price is not to my liking so I passed.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Zoaelite 06-24-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi (Post 827912)
Just bought a new salt to try. Since there was no one posting on this salt. S
Ive decided to be the forum guinea pig, i got the Aquavitro salinity. Each bucket has a guranteed value. My first batch had a really low alkalinity so I decided to mix the salt by pouring out the salt to another bucket and repeating that process by three times. My second batch of mix matched the results well. High calcium mag and alk.
Mixes cloudy. (Followed all the methods to mix salt, salt added to water then bringing up the temp but still cloudy. When added to the tank partially cloudy it cleared up within 15 minutes. Had no ill effects on my corals. Sps lps. Softies.
Liking it for the nice guranteed stats. Hate the mixing.

I also found fluval sea salt at aquariumswest in dt vancouver. The price is not to my liking so I passed.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Do a quick forum search you would be surprised @ some of the reviews.

Mini-crashed my tank with Ca levels off the chart, the mix left a precipitate as well. In addition to this I think Titus contacted them about screwed values, there response was to only mix the salt for like 30 mins.

I stopped using it for the obvious question, if I shouldn't mix it more than 30 minutes whats happening after I let it sit in my tank?

Zoaelite 06-25-2013 12:46 AM

^ Please mind the grammatical errors, was SCless & rushed at work.

Here's the link.

Zoaelite 06-25-2013 12:47 AM

And the Aquavitro response:
Quote:

An alkalinity of 9/10 dKH and a magnesium of 1400 mg/L are within specification. A calcium of 590 is not. I checked the certified lab results and they show a calcium of 436. Have you double-checked the calcium concentration with another method or maybe you could have someone else test it for you?

I suggest not using a heater and don't mix it too long to avoid excess cloudiness. If you are using a large powerhead this will also cause precipitation. Mixing too long or mixing too hard (as with a large powerhead) will introduce excess CO2 which causes precipitation of carbonates. Elevated temperatures will reduce the solubility of calcium carbonate also creating precipitation.

Product Support

Proteus 06-25-2013 12:57 AM

Yeah. When I contacted them I'm sure I got a temp or summer student who was only in office from there break of cutting grass.

Though I will say I again have a bucket as lfs only had salinity. Io. And fluvāl. Which also has high CA.

Ill be going back to RB next weekend

Skimmerking 06-25-2013 01:49 AM

I used IO for the longest time, tried some red sea salt didn't care, tried tropic Marin and now went back to IO Reef Crystals. I like it but now where I can find it in Manitoba. might have to go back to IO

chi 06-25-2013 02:00 AM

Yes, I've read them but I still decided that the way they formulated their product is still very decent. They test batch for batch for each of their containers. They crammed too much in too little of a container so I gambled on solving the problem by mixing the dry salt first. I was guessing that the density of each of the elements would also differ and causing the lighter elements to be at the top, my magnesium was at 1500 for the first batch along with a low alk (forgot to mention in previous post) I am not sure if anyone else tried to mix the dry salt before using it. I just don't see how a company can screw up on each container when they are one of the only companies that shows the statistics for each container. Anyways, just because of the inconsistency from bucket to bucket in terms of its mixing clear or cloudy and also the really high instances where people get elevated levels of each element, i will definitely not purchase it again. Very sorry to hear that your tank crashed :(, their reply was also very stupid...30 mins, my god...

chi 06-25-2013 02:05 AM

I will not be going back to IO, especially after the low mag levels ~1100 and low calcium levels (350) (for the batch I got atleast) I really don't want to keep dosing mag calc and carbonates for a nano tank the change in water chemistry is just too risky. But for large tanks IO is what I will use too, cheap and good.

Wayne 10-06-2013 05:04 AM

I went from IO Reef to Brightwells and my corals exploded! Both growth and colour. Unfortunatly the supplier I bought it from doesn't get it very often :(

thmh 10-07-2013 04:24 AM

Instant Ocean: Reef Crystals for me been using since i started this hobby!:D

AdamsB 10-07-2013 05:45 AM

Favourite Salt?

I bought some Kent reef salt from dr fosters, salt and shipping and taxes were less than I can buy IO locally. Was using fluval salt but had some issues with it leaving a black residue in my mixing barrel. Been 2 months or so and I'm liking the Kent stuff!