Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Ryan_Laps 10gal Build (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45807)

Ryan_Lap 11-06-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357560)
That is 9 days away... not to mention 2 Saturdays.

True....very very true...I could do it..I just dont know where to put the tank now If I finish it

superduperwesman 11-06-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap (Post 357561)
I got somebody on it :biggrin:

I think I know who, but all I know is it better be after something else is done

superduperwesman 11-06-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap (Post 357562)
True....very very true...I could do it..I just dont know where to put the tank now If I finish it

Oh wait I know... the same spot! The sides will be fine... so just make sure the base is fully supported and you'll have nothing to worry about

Could always add some comfort bracing... and it you're really worried make a base for the stand similar to the top but facing up and line it with black silicone so that way if it breaks again at least the stand can hold some of the water ahah

Ryan_Lap 11-06-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357564)
I think I know who, but all I know is it better be after something else is done

Ha, might not get done then.

Ryan_Lap 11-06-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357566)
Oh wait I know... the same spot! The sides will be fine... so just make sure the base is fully supported and you'll have nothing to worry about

Fine. If it breaks again...your coming to clean it up.:biggrin:

superduperwesman 11-06-2008 05:39 AM

Good glad your back... and cleanup is what your girlfriend is for ahah

Brettriehl101 11-06-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357569)

ahahahah

Ryan_Lap 11-06-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357569)

Oh no you didnt....:biggrin:

Next time Im fully testing it in the basement by the drain for a few days...still standing by that time, then Ill move it to the upstairs.

superduperwesman 11-06-2008 05:44 AM

Here's my old tank.. the Styrofoam just has black duck tape folded over the edge... I know... Styrofoam + Black Duck Tape = sexyfoam

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/IMG_0672.jpg

You can see it in the background here too

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/IMG_0680.jpg

Ryan_Lap 11-06-2008 05:47 AM

Ill try and get it back up....just soooo damn annoying. I cant imagine having a large tank blow out. Id lose my mind.

Scythanith 11-06-2008 09:18 AM

I agree with Wes, just add some 1/2 plywood on the inside lip and some thin foam to suck up the little imperfections and voila, you're good to go!

My guess is (and this isn't a hit against your woodwork) is that the lip wasn't perfectly flat along the entire perimeter and that cause some stress across the bottom pane...... *POOF*

Get back in and put it in the same spot, look good there from what I could tell in the pictures. But I also know what your concerns are. I'd **** a brick if my tank were to pop on the hardwood!

Ryan_Lap 11-06-2008 09:23 AM

I know damn well it was my fault for not putting the Styrofoam. Any tiny imperfection on a piece of glass that thin would make it crack. I guess I gambled and I lost.....Lesson learned.

rocketlily 11-06-2008 11:19 AM

I am really sorry this happened to you. I do know how you feel, as 2 weeks ago I finally had my 90 gal filled and one of the bulkheads started to leak. Brand new hardwood floor. Oh yes, the excitement this can cause. Everytime I clean the glass on the 10 gal and the mag cleaner gets to the silicone in the corner, I start to hear this little scratchy noise. Gets me a little nervous. I'm sure that you'll come back even stronger (and wiser) because of this.

JDigital 11-06-2008 12:38 PM

Damn, sorry to hear this... Hope you can rebuild.. :wink:

sphelps 11-06-2008 01:50 PM

Man it's crazy what can happen overnight.

Hey Ryan, replace the bottom with a piece of 6mm and you'll be good, you won't have to modify the stand. I gotta piece with your name on it :biggrin:

superduperwesman 11-06-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 357597)
I'd **** a brick if my tank were to pop on the hardwood!

You'd do what to a brick?... But with 10 holes how would you choose?

http://www.innfusion.com/blogimages/Brick.jpg

I hate little stars I never know what people really meant?? :wink: ahah

sphelps 11-06-2008 03:30 PM

Haha Wes, not everyone needs to substitute.

No big deal we'll get Ryan back up and running in no time.

superduperwesman 11-06-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 357626)
Haha Wes, not everyone needs to substitute.

Hahah aren't you suppose to be working? What about getting me up and running? Ok ok I guess there is enough of you to go around

sphelps 11-06-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357639)
Hahah aren't you suppose to be working? What about getting me up and running? Ok ok I guess there is enough of you to go around

I am working, I'll actually be replumbing a 200 gallon tank this afternoon but instead of saltwater this tank holds marquenching oil and instead of providing flow for coral it will provide flow for alloy steel at about 1600 degrees. I hope the principal is the same otherwise I'm in trouble :lol:

Your stuff will be done tonight provided I don't break it again packing it up.

superduperwesman 11-06-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 357655)
I am working, I'll actually be replumbing a 200 gallon tank this afternoon but instead of saltwater this tank holds marquenching oil and instead of providing flow for coral it will provide flow for alloy steel at about 1600 degrees. I hope the principal is the same otherwise I'm in trouble :lol:

Your stuff will be done tonight provided I don't break it again packing it up.

Dude I'm working too... getting you that oil for your tank. :biggrin:

Nice! Just be gentle this time... my tank isn't your wife.

Ryan_Lap 11-06-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 357611)

Hey Ryan, replace the bottom with a piece of 6mm and you'll be good, you won't have to modify the stand. I gotta piece with your name on it :biggrin:

Thanks Man! :biggrin:

sphelps 11-07-2008 03:25 AM

Tank is fixed and stronger than ever, 8 times stronger to be exact, well the base anyway :biggrin:

Ryan_Lap 11-07-2008 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 357836)
Tank is fixed and stronger than ever, 8 times stronger to be exact, well the base anyway :biggrin:

Good Man! Id rather not go swimming in my living room again!:biggrin:

superduperwesman 11-07-2008 05:43 AM

nice! Fill time

Ryan_Lap 11-07-2008 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357896)
nice! Fill time

On that note, I just remembered I turned on the RO unit to fill my rubbermaid container for new water about 8 hours ago.:surprise:

Ran downstairs full blast again to find it less than 1 inch from going over.

Holy hell....I think I owe you!

superduperwesman 11-07-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap (Post 357898)
On that note, I just remembered I turned on the RO unit to fill my rubbermaid container for new water about 8 hours ago.:surprise:

Ran downstairs full blast again to find it less than 1 inch from going over.

Holy hell....I think I owe you!

You'd think you would have learned your lesson

but... ok I'll take some candy cane hot chocolate... tell Steve to toss it in with my tank... don't forget the marshmallows preferably little snowflake shaped ones

Ryan_Lap 11-07-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduperwesman (Post 357903)
You'd think you would have learned your lesson

but... ok I'll take some candy cane hot chocolate... tell Steve to toss it in with my tank

I dont learn very quick. I already let it go over a couple weeks ago. I need to set an alarm or something when I turn that thing on. Or put it on float valves.

Ryan_Lap 11-10-2008 02:36 AM

New bottom in the tank and so far its doing better than last time. Have the tank currently in the basement and if/when the floor is dry tomorrow I will move it upstairs and get the rock in the tank.

Heres a video instead of pictures. Nothing much to look at....most likely take out the koralia 1 as I dont think I need that much flow and I dont want it in my budget.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...diamond023.jpg

Once I pack the back of the overflow with filter floss the very small amount of micro bubbles you see will be gone.

Im also going to try and finish the cap this week which should finish it off nicely.

Ryan_Lap 11-13-2008 09:27 AM

Got the live rock in the tank the other day. Most likely wont stay like this because I want to have a very solid rock structure. I will hopefully finish the rock work Saturday.

Im also not very happy with the look of the current PC's. Right now Im looking at adding a MH to the tank and making sure that would be suitable.

Im going a little slower than most I guess, but I plan on having a decent amount of corals in the tank come Dec 15th. Still havnt decided on LS yet, but I have some ideas.

Heres a current photo taken from my couch....
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...diamond024.jpg

superduperwesman 11-13-2008 02:54 PM

Nice.... I like the socks also ahah

JDigital 11-15-2008 05:18 PM

Contest Reminder:

**Updated FTS and Budget Required today (Nov 15/08) to remain in the contest**

Kronk 11-17-2008 05:42 AM

Just have to say that idea for reworking a standard 10g tank is AWESOME! nice clean lines with the stand too.

Good luck in the contest.
Ken

Ryan_Lap 11-17-2008 05:51 AM

A little update....

I was not really digging the PC's so I bought a 175MH pendant from a fellow reefer for $100. I will still use the PC's, but I will tear apart the fixture and use the 2 bulbs purely for actinic supplementation. Ive also ordered LED's for the moonlight effect. Hope to have the new lighting all set up for next week and the canopy built to house it all. Its gonna be bright.....:cool:

superduperwesman 11-17-2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap (Post 360584)
A little update....

I was not really digging the PC's so I bought a 175MH pendant from a fellow reefer for $100. I will still use the PC's, but I will tear apart the fixture and use the 2 bulbs purely for actinic supplementation. Ive also ordered LED's for the moonlight effect. Hope to have the new lighting all set up for next week and the canopy built to house it all. Its gonna be bright.....:cool:

Whatever mr.hotshot with ur sunglasses.. ur still gonna lose ahah

Should be nice... I wasn't totally digging the random box on top... you worried about heat at all??

Ryan_Lap 11-17-2008 06:05 AM

I was always going to build a cap for the top....I just havnt gotten around to it as Im pretty damn lazy.:razz:

Ill probably run 2 or 3 fans out the rear of the cap. I figure with that heat shouldnt be a problem. If it is I might have to run a ice probe, but I cant even see having to do that until summer/ when the contest is over.

superduperwesman 11-17-2008 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap (Post 360587)
I was always going to build a cap for the top....I just havnt gotten around to it as Im pretty damn lazy.:razz:

Ill probably run 2 or 3 fans out the rear of the cap. I figure with that heat shouldnt be a problem. If it is I might have to run a ice probe, but I cant even see having to do that until summer/ when the contest is over.

Better hope... or it'll blow your budget ahah. Fans should do it?? I only have 5 volts running through mine otherwise they're just too loud, but I did order a speed control for them... hopefully it works

Ryan_Lap 11-17-2008 06:15 AM

Speaking of fans. Did you just buy yours online? Id much prefer to buy them in town, but if I have to Ill buy them online.

superduperwesman 11-17-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap (Post 360589)
Speaking of fans. Did you just buy yours online? Id much prefer to buy them in town, but if I have to Ill buy them online.

Princess auto always has them an the inverters pretty cheap

Scythanith 11-17-2008 08:47 AM

That's why they are noisy, don't be so damn cheap Wes and buy some good case fans!

I bought some stealths from P.C. Place by Grainfields on 8th (I'm sure there are cheaper places if you look hard) and a DC wall plug from The Source... easy as pie and quiet like no ones business when running ~7v.

I feel better now since you have spent another 100 bucks on lighting, now I'm not the only one to blow 1/3 of the budget on lights haahaa!

superduperwesman 11-17-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 360598)
That's why they are noisy, don't be so damn cheap Wes and buy some good case fans!

I bought some stealths from P.C. Place by Grainfields on 8th (I'm sure there are cheaper places if you look hard) and a DC wall plug from The Source... easy as pie and quiet like no ones business when running ~7v.

I feel better now since you have spent another 100 bucks on lighting, now I'm not the only one to blow 1/3 of the budget on lights haahaa!

I'm sure mine would still be quite at 7 volts but run 12 through those babies and it's LOUD.

Yeah I'm glad I got such a good deal on my lights :D.... I just wish I would have positioned them better