Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fluconazole VS. Bryopsis Discussion Thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122214)

Jakegr 01-30-2017 08:40 PM

Wow there are some amazing pictures in this thread!

I'll just add that fluconazole is generally quite well tolerated by animals, but we shouldn't say there are "no adverse effects". You definitely seem them in land animals. There could be adverse effects, but we just don't notice them because they would be very hard to see in fish (unless the adverse reaction is death!). The most common adverse drug reaction would be gastrointestinal related, which we probably wouldn't notice in our fish. It is also possible for the drug to have adverse effects on the fishes liver, but again unless you necropsy dead fish or do other diagnostics you probably wouldn't notice. I would just to monitor your fishes appetite post-treatment and see if their feces look normal.

Anyways that is just FYI. This looks like an extremely useful tool to have for Bryopsis problems.

tang daddy 01-30-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFish (Post 1007350)
If you could give it 48hrs since dosing to see if there's a difference that would be sweet, that's about the time it definitely shows an impact

True took a sneak peek at the tank when I was feeding the anemones and Lps no difference after 24hrs....I will wait another day or 2, I have patience but this stuff is super thick and comes back really quick so it's definitely using something up. My mg is still above 1700 but I never tried Kent so obviously the myth about high mg slowing growth is a bust.

tang daddy 01-30-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakegr (Post 1007373)
Wow there are some amazing pictures in this thread!

I'll just add that fluconazole is generally quite well tolerated by animals, but we shouldn't say there are "no adverse effects". You definitely seem them in land animals. There could be adverse effects, but we just don't notice them because they would be very hard to see in fish (unless the adverse reaction is death!). The most common adverse drug reaction would be gastrointestinal related, which we probably wouldn't notice in our fish. It is also possible for the drug to have adverse effects on the fishes liver, but again unless you necropsy dead fish or do other diagnostics you probably wouldn't notice. I would just to monitor your fishes appetite post-treatment and see if their feces look normal.

Anyways that is just FYI. This looks like an extremely useful tool to have for Bryopsis problems.

I think Warren had said that this medication was the same used for yeast infections or something of the sorts, definately any drugs used on a tank can have long term effects on the inhabitants. Some of the inverts are alittle more sensitive to medications aswell but all seem to be doing fine. I think that after a heavy treatment of any medication one should do a larger water change to try and dilute the system so it is less harmful.

dcw1sfu 02-01-2017 03:08 AM

Just purchased 20x200mg tabs think I only need to use 6 of these. Will post how it works once I recieve it and begin treatment.

kengeroo 02-01-2017 03:20 AM

Bryopsis all gone...
Red macro algae still there... think it's dead.. but it still there.. stuff is like plastic. ...

Going to wait a few days before major water change just in case

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...87df138881.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a04fa57294.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f1f57e3c84.jpg

GoFish 02-01-2017 03:26 AM

Booom! It's like magic.... wait, you took the rocks out and scrubbed them didn't you :question:

kengeroo 02-01-2017 04:31 AM

scrape rocks..

no... why

GoFish 02-01-2017 04:36 AM

Just kidding ;) except the magic part. Is that 5 days since you added it?!

Myka 02-01-2017 01:36 PM

That's like a miracle drug! I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?

kengeroo 02-01-2017 02:01 PM

you slay me

6 days after dosing,,,

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFish (Post 1007489)
Just kidding ;) except the magic part. Is that 5 days since you added it?!

kengeroo 02-01-2017 02:02 PM

survival rate

everything looks good,,,
even still seeing copepods shells molting,,
so they are also still alive and well and growing..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1007505)
That's like a miracle drug! I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?

tang daddy 02-01-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengeroo (Post 1007508)
everything looks good,,,

Any before pics?

So I did a small dose of 5mg for 110g and nothing happened, waited 2 days, I added the remainder of the blister pack now will have to wait and see, because bryopsis has only taken foot in my sump I placed it in there, used a turkey basted to add the stuff. Will wait patiently till it's all gone then do a 30g wc.

kengeroo 02-01-2017 05:04 PM

pics and dosage...

before pics are earlier in the thread...

and I'm pretty sure 5mg for a 110 gallon is nearly not enough...
supposed to be 20 Mg per gallon,, so you're dosing for an aquarium the size of a coffe cup..

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 1007517)
Any before pics?

So I did a small dose of 5mg for 110g and nothing happened, waited 2 days, I added the remainder of the blister pack now will have to wait and see, because bryopsis has only taken foot in my sump I placed it in there, used a turkey basted to add the stuff. Will wait patiently till it's all gone then do a 30g wc.

GoFish 02-01-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 1007505)
I wonder what else it's killing that you may or may not be seeing?

That's a great question... I wonder if anyone has tried to contact anyone regarding research on long term effects on unseen life forms. All we have right now is a bunch of guinea pigs. At least short term from what people have observed I've yet to read any negative effects on anything. Keng mentioned losing some "weaker SPS" to RTN, not sure if he can elaborate on that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengeroo (Post 1007521)
and I'm pretty sure 5mg for a 110 gallon is nearly not enough...
supposed to be 20 Mg per gallon, so you're dosing for an aquarium the size of a coffe cup..

He dosed 5.45mg per gallon x 110 gallons = 600mg. Enough to adequately treat a 30 gallon tank, a little bigger than a coffee cup :smile:

Here's a quote from Monday on R2R...
"Gone completely. Treatment was started wed night, over 100s of sps colonys. Every type of corals, gonipora, mushrooms, zoas, leptos, shrooms, favia/favites, all types of acans, rock nems, blastos, euphyllia ,acros and montis, nudibranchs, fish, hermitz snails, sea hare, madractis, aiptasia , cheato, calerpa, red algaes plus more. Were all fine, nothing was affected other then bryopsis. All equipment running at 20mg p gallon. Took my buddy 5 days to kill all traces of bryopsis"

Frogger 02-02-2017 05:41 AM

I am still not bryopsis free after 7 days. There is still quite a bit of it and it is not looking healthy. The bryopsis took a hit but it seems to have leveled off in the past few days. I do not think it is actively growing but I will have to manually start removing it. I am wondering if starting up my skimmer after day 2 removed the fungicide. The red cyno that started to grow when I shut off the skimmer is completely gone.

Did anyone else run their skimmer while they were treating?

kengeroo 02-02-2017 03:00 PM

put some more in !!!

I removed my carbon/chemi-pure (as per Gofish)..
Skimmer was left running...

I actually put another table in on day 4, just in case...

The sps that RTN's had been recently hit by a neighbor and had a little bit of tissue loss before the medication,, I geuss it couldn't handle the change...

I did not have to manually remove the bryopsis,, it either melted away, went into the filters ,, or was consumed by my crabs,,, (for some reason they love rotting bryopsis)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogger (Post 1007572)
I am still not bryopsis free after 7 days. There is still quite a bit of it and it is not looking healthy. The bryopsis took a hit but it seems to have leveled off in the past few days. I do not think it is actively growing but I will have to manually start removing it. I am wondering if starting up my skimmer after day 2 removed the fungicide. The red cyno that started to grow when I shut off the skimmer is completely gone.

Frogger 02-02-2017 09:07 PM

Might need to add 1 more capsule.

tang daddy 02-02-2017 09:19 PM

I weeded out as much as I could before medicating as I wanted the meds to get the roots.

On day 2 now so we will see how it is.

kengeroo 02-02-2017 10:07 PM

for a 110 gal,, would you not need 11 capsules ????
I have a 65 gallon and I used 7 in total...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogger (Post 1007605)
Might need to add 1 more capsule.

GoFish 02-02-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tang daddy (Post 1007606)
I weeded out as much as I could before medicating as I wanted the meds to get the roots.

On day 2 now so we will see how it is.

So you're at a full dose @ 20mg/gallon instead of 5mg/gallon now? Actually read that someone was able to get rid of their bryopsis at the lower 5mg dose, didn't provide much detail or photos though. Im definitely not a scientist or doctor but suppose in theory it's possible to create a strain resistant to this medication if using too little. Kind of how vaccines are "supposed" to work.
As far as manual removal first, it isn't necessary but probably won't hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogger (Post 1007572)

No skimmer here, I don't even have one in the tank.
Glad you're Cyano is gone, now onto the Bryopsis. If the remainder isn't looking healthy than it probably is bryopsis and just give it a bit longer. If it's not going away then it could be another type of algae mixed in?
I've yet to see anyone mention that it didn't take care of all the Bryopsis, but have seen someone say they were Bryopsis free after 18days

GoFish 02-02-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengeroo (Post 1007610)

You may be getting people mixed up :wink:... tang daddy has a 110 gallon and Frogger has a 40ish gallon (might need to add 1 more capsule). How many capsules did you use initially Frogger?

Frogger 02-03-2017 04:56 AM

I added 3 capsules, dissolved the contents as recommended before adding to tank on January 25. The algae is bryopsis. Tank is 38 gallons less the rock and gravel

Myka 02-03-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengeroo (Post 1007508)
everything looks good,,,

Considering it's an antifungal, I was more concerned about "fungals" than pods. You know, like Fungia Plates and Toadstool Leathers...

...Yeah, I'm kidding. But anywho, if it's powerful enough to kill algae so quickly and so dramatically, it just makes me wonder what else it is affecting. It must be affecting other things. Do those things "matter"? I hope not. I like wonder drugs. :D

tang daddy 02-03-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengeroo (Post 1007610)

Hey Kenny display is 90 and sump 35 but only over half full, I estimated 110 of water but it could be less as the rock and corals are stuffed in pretty good. I dosed 1 blister pack in total (10 pills over 3 days) which is suppose to be good for about 100g of water so maybe alittle under....or over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFish (Post 1007613)
So you're at a full dose @ 20mg/gallon instead of 5mg/gallon now? Actually read that someone was able to get rid of their bryopsis at the lower 5mg dose, didn't provide much detail or photos though. Im definitely not a scientist or doctor but suppose in theory it's possible to create a strain resistant to this medication if using too little. Kind of how vaccines are "supposed" to work.
As far as manual removal first, it isn't necessary but probably won't hurt.

No skimmer here, I don't even have one in the tank.
Glad you're Cyano is gone, now onto the Bryopsis. If the remainder isn't looking healthy than it probably is bryopsis and just give it a bit longer. If it's not going away then it could be another type of algae mixed in?
I've yet to see anyone mention that it didn't take care of all the Bryopsis, but have seen someone say they were Bryopsis free after 18days

Bryant I basically couldn't add numbers and aired to the side of caution when originally dosing the fluco, it was roughly 5mg/gal initially and then added the remainder of 15mg/gal 3 days later. I will say that yesterday about 32 hrs after initial dose of the 15mg the bryopsis is completely gone, super amazed kinda like I was amazed when bubble algae started to melt. Now if we can find a wonder drug for aptaisia we are almost all covered as far as pests are concerned!

mseepman 02-06-2017 12:22 AM

So how are people getting this drug?

GoFish 02-06-2017 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 1007825)
So how are people getting this drug?

Sent you a PM with a couple online sources. One of them has already been mentioned in this thread, the price just went up at least 20% the other day

dcw1sfu 02-06-2017 08:47 PM

I will recieve mine in the mail today. Just performed a 20% water change and manually removed as much bryopsis as possible to help the process. I'll dose 20mg/gal based on my 60gallon net water. Also I'm going to leave skimmer running with cup off as I carbon dose. I will of course take carbon and gfo offline while the Fluk is doing its thing. I'll keep you all posted.

D.

dcw1sfu 02-08-2017 11:44 PM

Update...

24 hrs after dosing, Bryopsis is looking weaker and losing its color. Bryopsis that is in the more shaded areas of the tank doesn't look to be too effected yet. So far so good. No negative effects to the tank.

Ram3500 02-10-2017 03:55 AM

http://http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3mkf7rfz.jpg

http://http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...pswkn4byum.jpg

http://http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...psijswr3ym.jpg

Thanks Bryant !

WarDog 02-10-2017 04:11 AM

Lol

Myka 02-10-2017 04:30 AM

Haha nice

GoFish 02-10-2017 04:32 AM

O...M...G...:whoo:
That's hilarious! And here I'm wondering why you didn't reply to my text earlier? Did it not work? Haha busy cracking beers and making memes I see.

You're welcome Ian

dcw1sfu 02-21-2017 06:25 PM

Update.

Day 14 since adding the Fluc. All bryopsis gone. There are a few tiny wirey strands that might be bryopsis but could be hair algae. In any case it was successful.

In total I added 7 capsules for 6o gallons. I added the 7th cap on day 4.

I left the skimmer running with the cup on but turned it down to a dry skim. I'm sure leaving the skimmer on slows the process however I wasn't willing to risk leaving my skimmer off while carbon dosing.

I'm going to wait another couple days before doing a water change as everything looks good.

iamfrontosa 02-21-2017 06:27 PM

damn. it really is a magic pill.

dcw1sfu 02-21-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamfrontosa (Post 1009181)
damn. it really is a magic pill.

Yeh I've been dealing with manual removal and peroxide dosing for over a year. I went on vacation for a couple weeks and the tank was covered. In the 14 days since dosong it completely stopped the growth and eradicated it. If I left the tank from. Another 14 days without manual removal I would have had the stuff completely converting all my SPS.

best thing is all corals, fush and inverts look as healthy as ever.

Frogger 03-09-2017 03:21 AM

This is definitely the wonder drug, who would ever have thought it was this easy. I have been keeping a reef tank for over 25 years and who knows what I would have done had I known it was this easy.

It has been 6 weeks since I treated my 40 gallon tank with 3 tablets of Fluconazole and I would never have expected it to be this good. All Bryopsis is gone, I had a heavy infestation 8 years worth, I did nothing else, only removing the dead Bryopsis when it floated to the top.

I have absolutely no Bryopsis left, I lost no inhabitants of my tank, not a snail, not a fish not a coral. The colors of the corals, Bonsai SPS, neon green frogspawn has never changed. there actually growing way faster because there is bare rock to be covered.

The coralline algae was not affected. I had a bit if a Cyano problem immediately after, due to nutrient build up with the dead Bryopsis and skimmer being off line for a half a dozen days. I have completed 2 very large water changes to remove most of the Fluconazole from the water.

GoFish 03-09-2017 04:27 AM

Glad to hear Frogger, been wondering how your battle went. How long did it end up taking? And did you take a before/after photos?

kengeroo 03-10-2017 03:37 AM

long term

did not notice until recently..
but previous to the dosage.. I had a plethora of brittle stars in my live rock..

today I noticed I have zero... cannot be definite that it is a result of the meds...

One_Divided 03-13-2017 03:53 AM

I also beat a complete Bryopsis outbreak in my frag tank a few months back with good old fashion clean up crew..

I added 30 blue legged hermits and 7 emerald crabs (30 gallon tank). You have to pull out all the long stuff (they don't seem to touch the long patches). It will be gone in a couple weeks with enough of them.. I suppose if the treatment didn't effect anything else in the tank, that's pretty easy though!

Etaloche 03-14-2017 08:13 AM

Anyone have a clam in their tank that's tried this?