Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Guess what! UPGRADE TIME (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95797)

daplatapus 03-16-2013 02:47 PM

First off, your existing tank looks amazing. Very good use space. I have huge respect for people who can pull that off with a smaller tank. But I was thinking about your new tank dimensions. My 77 is 16" front to back and I struggle with aquascaping to find a sweet spot between placing rock work and leaving enough negative space for glass cleaning and visual appeal. If the space you want to put your tank allows for it, you might consider a bit wider tank.
You mention that you want to use your existing T5 lighting and are concerned it may not be enough for a larger tank. If you went with an 18"-24" tank and put your rock work either centered or a bit back of centre, then mounted your light right above it, that would give you nice visual negative space with your rock work highlighted by the light. Place all your high light requirement corals on it, and low light or non-photosynthetic corals on the sand bed, (like dendro's, gorgs, or blasto's)
Then when finances become available, you can upgrade the light and you've still got a really nice dimension tank.

mrhasan 03-16-2013 10:40 PM

Thanks for the input everyone :)

So since the only problem was the tank was too "shallow" and the width was very "limited". So I decided on a new dimension:

40" X 20" X 20" = 70 gallon!!!!!!!

Thanks to Dave and Denny for helping me decide on the dimension by explaining stuffs for hours! And I have placed the order with concept :mrgreen: So now I am in the concept team too :D

Here's the details:

40"x20"x20"
starfire front (and possibly two side; can't remember what Dave said :P)
external overflow centered on back panel
2x returns
built on foam base
full acrylic on back panel
clear silicon
trim (since non polish)
eurobraced (not single glass)

I am excited :D

Proteus 03-16-2013 11:39 PM

So much for poor student. Haha

No really, awesome. I love the set up stage:)

mrhasan 03-16-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 803056)
So much for poor student. Haha

No really, awesome. I love the set up stage:)

The deal was student friendly :mrgreen:

Ram3500 03-17-2013 02:05 AM

You'll be happy my concepts tank is siting on my living room floor half full and it looks so bad ass

mrhasan 03-17-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram3500 (Post 803092)
You'll be happy my concepts tank is siting on my living room floor half full and it looks so bad ass

Half full or half empty? :razz:

daplatapus 03-17-2013 04:45 AM

Awesome man! Congrats. Glad to hear those dimensions. Expectin' pics soon :D

mrhasan 03-17-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplatapus (Post 803152)
Awesome man! Congrats. Glad to hear those dimensions. Expectin' pics soon :D

Thanks :D Yah the dimensions are pretty neat :D I am hoping to pull off some good aquascaping with it. Lets see how things go :)

reeferfulton 03-17-2013 05:05 AM

looking forward to seeing you stock this new puppy . Do you have a timeline target before its wet ?

mrhasan 03-17-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeferfulton (Post 803165)
looking forward to seeing you stock this new puppy . Do you have a timeline target before its wet ?

Not really. I will just go with the flow like gather the equipment slowly and things like that :) 60 gallon and a sump (possibly 20 gallon) is going to be a lot of water for me so I haven't set any timeline. If possible, I will go really fast (like my 20L) or go really slow. Let's see how things are in favor :D

And stocking? Man this is going to have crazy stocking! FISH FISH AND MORE FISH! Corals of course but I will take corals slowly but I am aiming for lots of fish. Hint: I have 7 fishes in 20L; do the math ;)