Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   LEDs and electricity savings (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95643)

sphelps 03-11-2013 09:38 PM

The point wasn't to compare fixture cost at all, only that LEDs can use substantially less power even with the added heater duty cycle considered. Something a few people have asked me.

PS, I didn't get the Mitras to save money and personally don't think you should buy LEDs for the purpose of saving money cause in all reality you probably won't save anything :wink: But that wasn't the point here.

sphelps 03-11-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 801225)
TRANSLATION: LEDs can save you money (but it also might not).

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 801226)
Correction: LEDs can save you money (but it also will not)

No

mrhasan 03-11-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 801231)
No

Then why this line? ;)

Quote:

PS, I didn't get the Mitras to save money and personally don't think you should buy LEDs for the purpose of saving money cause in all reality you probably won't save anything But that wasn't the point here.

fresh 03-11-2013 09:49 PM

I am not planning an LED upgrade any time soon as I am happy with my HQI setup (upcoming summer temps might change that thought), but I truly enjoyed reading your findings and find them very informative.

As a matter of fact, I don't believe anyone else has done a similar mini-study, so THANK YOU for taking the time to perform, document and share with the rest of us.

fresh 03-11-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 801235)
Then why this line? ;)

I presume he meant you will most likely upgrade to LEDs for the purposes of dropping temperature for example.

sphelps 03-11-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 801235)
Then why this line? ;)

I said probably which doesn't mean they won't save you money and that's just a personal opinion, far from fact. Quite simply put the potential is certainly there but whether most will be able to take advantage by sticking with the same fixture for long enough is debatable. Again the real point was additional heat isn't a huge factor and if it is it's something that can be minimized.

mrhasan 03-11-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fresh (Post 801239)
I presume he meant you will most likely upgrade to LEDs for the purposes of dropping temperature for example.

Yap that's the whole point of LED. Save your reef during the summer and the versatility and aesthetics that LEDs give :)

mrhasan 03-11-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 801240)
I said probably which doesn't mean they won't save you money and that's just a personal opinion, far from fact. Quite simply put the potential is certainly there but whether most will be able to take advantage by sticking with the same fixture for long enough is debatable.

People tend to upgrade before the break-even point (4 years on average) and hence the "not" unless you use DIY leds or generic chinese $200 LEDs which, I hear, is damn good for the price. :razz:

Aquattro 03-11-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 801241)
Yap that's the whole point of LED. Save your reef during the summer and the versatility and aesthetics that LEDs give :)

Maybe that's just your whole point to LED? Mine was solely to reduce evaporation. Nothing more. Sure, they're growing on me, but my point was not your point. And yes, I'll save money as I was changing 3 Radium bulbs every 9 months.

sphelps 03-11-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 801242)
People tend to upgrade before the break-even point (4 years on average) and hence the "not" unless you use DIY leds or generic chinese $200 LEDs which, I hear, is damn good for the price. :razz:

Yes it's a debatable topic, which is why Kiens translation was accurate because it goes both ways (just like Kien) and yours is inaccurate because it only goes one way to state LEDs will not save you many.