Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   SKIMMER KING's 36x36x21 CUBE (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94093)

Skimmerking 01-29-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 787504)
I really have no idea what you're saying most of the time :surprise: but don't worry I still like you. I went with three fixtures on my tank, it's 64" x 32" footprint. Would have used two but decided since it's full SPS and 32" tall, three would be better. One fixture will cover 36"x36" easily but for full SPS, two would be better. I only suggested it because you had the vertex 260 on your list which is close to $1900 while one mitra is $1100 so it seemed like another option worth considering, not quite as much power but better spread and color which I think is worth some sacrifice.

Sorry man i have been trying to type with my iphone and i have big fingers and thumbs lol

Skimmerking 01-29-2013 03:37 AM

Ok i think i have it narrowed done to 2 lights when i start this cube up

The mitras x 1

Or

The vega's x 2

lastlight 01-29-2013 04:30 AM

nice dimensions mike. not that i've seen either light but if the mitras has significantly less disco effect / colour banding i'd go that route personally.

Delphinus 01-29-2013 05:10 AM

This should make for a neat setup. I like those dimensions, should make for some really neat aquascaping options. Good luck with the build!

viperfish 01-29-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 787555)
nice dimensions mike. not that i've seen either light but if the mitras has significantly less disco effect / colour banding i'd go that route personally.

I have a Vega and I just don't see this disco effect that everyone seems to be fascinated with. I know there's drugs that give you the disco effect! Maybe these people need to lay off them lol.

lastlight 01-29-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperfish (Post 787573)
I have a Vega and I just don't see this disco effect that everyone seems to be fascinated with. I know there's drugs that give you the disco effect! Maybe these people need to lay off them lol.

I've seen this effect from every fixture I've seen in person other than my Kessil which so far which includes:

- maxspect razor
- ai sol
- radion

I think some (more cursed) people detect it better than others.

Madmak 01-29-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 787583)
I've seen this effect from every fixture I've seen in person other than my Kessil which so far which includes:

- maxspect razor
- ai sol
- radion

I think some (more cursed) people detect it better than others.

I don't think you will be adding the GHL Mitras to that list...lots of shimmer but no disco.

Skimmerking 01-29-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperfish (Post 787573)

lol

Skimmerking 01-29-2013 02:36 PM

What are your thoughts about using the PAR 38 bulbs would 6 of them being a waste of time.

sphelps 01-29-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 787634)
What are your thoughts about using the PAR 38 bulbs would 6 of them being a waste of time.

My experience is the color kind of sucks being that it's not adjustable and most people have different tastes. Plus they disco.

As for the Vegas if you can't see the disco then you are the one that should lay off the drugs :mrgreen: Some people don't mind it which is obviously fine, personally it makes my eyes hurt and it's next to impossible to get decent pics under them.