Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   need help with ceiling mounts (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87890)

monocus 07-12-2012 02:44 AM

joists

put the stud finder against the ceiling -then turn it on and move it.another way is to put the sensor on metal and hunt for the screws.also try deep scan mode.your joists will be at 16 " centers.if you still dont have any luck,put a tiny drill bit in a drill and drill into the ceiling at 3/4" spacing.any resistance will be your joist and you can patch the tiny holes with a dab of dap caulking

Flash 07-12-2012 03:34 AM

tried that, didn't work. going a different route!!!

gregzz4 07-12-2012 04:14 AM

Wish you luck

When I mounted my 35lb 48" ATI, I had to use a 52+" piece of 1/4x1-1/4 flatbar as the tank was not sitting perfectly under the joists
I put 4 - 3" screws into the joists to hold the bar
I am very happy with how solid it is

whytey 07-12-2012 04:58 AM

The best way to handle this is to find a light in the ceiling that is existing close to the area, the light fixture will be attached to one side of the joist. If it is a 2 storey they will be 16" apart. If it is an attic or roof they will be 24" apart.

Glen

gregzz4 07-12-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whytey (Post 730449)
The best way to handle this is to find a light in the ceiling that is existing close to the area, the light fixture will be attached to one side of the joist. If it is a 2 storey they will be 16" apart. If it is an attic or roof they will be 24" apart.

Glen

Been there, tried that
Nice try though Glen :smile:

They have no ceiling light fixtures in the room

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 730326)
Is there a ceiling fixture you could take apart to find where the joists are ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash (Post 730328)
nothing in the area such as a light... and we tired paper, cardboard and still got nothing... I went and picked up a $60 stud finder maybe this one will work... and yes I tried all directions. my basement is 16" centers and they joists run north to south...If I had the option to cut out a small peiece I would... but i'd never get that fixed and the other half is already wanting to murder me!

gregzz4 07-12-2012 06:12 AM

So ....
Any luck with the new stud finder ?
I mean besides it going off when you turn it on, you big studd you :razz:

monocus 07-12-2012 06:35 AM

joists

try shining a bright flashlight across the ceiling while it's dark if you have a smooth ceiling-you should be able to see the taping joints.drywall is laid across the joists.it sometimes works with a textured ceiling as well

gregzz4 07-12-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monocus (Post 730486)
try shining a bright flashlight across the ceiling while it's dark if you have a smooth ceiling-you should be able to see the taping joints.drywall is laid across the joists.it sometimes works with a textured ceiling as well

Especially when guys like Bill lay the tape :rofl:

Oh, come on, that was funny :smile:

monocus 07-12-2012 02:29 PM

joists

i will finish my ceiling;i will finish my ceiling;iwill.............

Ross 07-12-2012 02:34 PM

Is the ceiling insulated?