Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Return Pump Recommendation Poll (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85551)

lockrookie 04-20-2012 04:55 AM

for the 10 times flow is mainly for sps tanks and you can achieve that with a couple powerheads.. i almostmade this mistakewith the 180 i was going to bug a pump to double the pump o had now plus then i re read my old build smacked my head or being too stupid and now im planning either a ehiem 5000 or quiet one 6000

Myka 04-20-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockrookie (Post 707593)
for the 10 times flow is mainly for sps tanks and you can achieve that with a couple powerheads..

Flow through the sump has nothing to do with what type of corals are kept. As I said above, the purpose of the return pump is to feed the skimmer water to process. The skimmer can only process so much water, so increasing flow through the sump does no good. If you have a grossly over-sized skimmer then increasing the flow through the sump could possibly achieve a bit heavier skimming, but that would be negligible.

Powerheads are for provide flow for the corals and preventing detritus settling. For SPS corals you're looking in the 50-100x turnover range where LPS and softies are happy with 10-25x turnover.

ensquire 04-20-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 707579)
Have you looked at this yet ?
Not all pumps are listed, but it's still useful

I was using that very calculator, It is to bad it didn't have more pumps listed.

lockrookie 04-20-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 707595)
Flow through the sump has nothing to do with what type of corals are kept. As I said above, the purpose of the return pump is to feed the skimmer water to process. The skimmer can only process so much water, so increasing flow through the sump does no good. If you have a grossly over-sized skimmer then increasing the flow through the sump could possibly achieve a bit heavier skimming, but that would be negligible.

Powerheads are for provide flow for the corals and preventing detritus settling. For SPS corals you're looking in the 50-100x turnover range where LPS and softies are happy with 10-25x turnover.

so i missed a zero at the end for sps :razz: i personally dont even have that much flow within the tank my new tank will have the option to turn on 2 more power heads if i choose but if he had 50 to 100 times in a 90 he must be careful of what substrate he adds to the tank.

ensquire 04-20-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 707592)
6-7x turnover is ideal. Keep in mind the purpose of the return pump is to feed the skimmer (in the sump), not to provide flow for the tank.

I have a Poseidon PS3 on my 90, and it is a good match. I'm replacing this tank with one that is about 100 gallons, and I will continue to use the PS3. They are great pumps and deadly silent. These pumps are now called Blueline Velocity T3. If you want an internal pump though, I would recommend the Eheim 1262 or the Eheim Compact 3000 (or maybe the 4000? I don't have time to do the math for you) if you want a cheaper model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 707595)

Thanks for the input Mindy,
That will be next poll (Skimmer) :biggrin:
Looks like the 4000 will do the job based in RC calculator.

As for your second post, are you saying that for a 90 gallon SPS tank that a person should be looking for 4500 to 9000 GPH turnover ? If so looks like I need a couple of more powerheads.:wink:

RDNanoGuy 04-20-2012 05:19 AM

Ehiem 1260 or 1262. Best submersible pumps you can get.

ensquire 04-20-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockrookie (Post 707600)
so i missed a zero at the end for sps :razz: i personally dont even have that much flow within the tank my new tank will have the option to turn on 2 more power heads if i choose but if he had 50 to 100 times in a 90 he must be careful of what substrate he adds to the tank.

What are you using for powerheads ? Substrate ?
I will be using Crushed Coral and oolite sand on the 90. I have sugar size in my 36 with a couple of K4s and with my gobie digging around, I do get sandstorms.

lockrookie 04-20-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensquire (Post 707610)
What are you using for powerheads ? Substrate ?
I will be using Crushed Coral and oolite sand on the 90. I have sugar size in my 36 with a couple of K4s and with my gobie digging around, I do get sandstorms.

i like the look of sugar sand and make use of sand sifting stars and an orange spot goby right now in teh 90 i have a koralia 3 and 2 plus the flow from return pump but i dont have alot of sps..yet.. but my new tank the 180 will have 2 koralia 1050s and 2 koralia 750's unlessi can find another used koralia 3 to match one i own already.

should i have more flow ..maybe .. but thats what future upgrades are for.. nothings perfect thefirst time

claymax 04-20-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 707569)
Waveline DC5000 would be my choice, go to www.rlss.ca to check it out. I believe or a least hope Mr. Dave @ concepts will be bringing some of these in as well as the larger size pump that is supposed to be coming out.

yeah what greg said, thse pumps are affordable powerful and controllable
what more could you ask for?

gregzz4 04-20-2012 08:35 AM

I opted for Not sugar sand. I found enough info that lead me to Not have sandstorms with powerheads
I bought this sand , or something very close to it