Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Led lights for a 90g (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85339)

fishytime 04-14-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgerchow (Post 705203)
The only led that can closely replicate MH, including the tank shimmer

thats not true....most higher wattage LEDs will produce the shimmer....my Radion shimmers even with only the "royal blues"running at 3%

Semaka 04-14-2012 06:51 AM

yea there's a bunch of LEDs that provide the shimmer effect...
+ "you would probably need just two" does not sound very encouraging... more like I could probably get away with using only three.
the big question would be if I could get a complete system for about 1k cad that would deff be nice otherwise they will be cast in the same category as the radions :(

Reef Supplies 04-14-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semaka (Post 705213)
yea there's a bunch of LEDs that provide the shimmer effect...
+ "you would probably need just two" does not sound very encouraging... more like I could probably get away with using only three.
the big question would be if I could get a complete system for about 1k cad that would deff be nice otherwise they will be cast in the same category as the radions :(

:-)

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/canada/48...-led-preorder/

- $1099
- Avail in May
- Latest LED tech.
- Cree 5w and 3w
- Full color : White, Blue, Red, Yellow and UV
- Iphone controllable

Read more here http://www.reefsupplies.ca/canada/su...-led-f-series/

Btw: Our main depo is in Montreal (MET next to Hgreg)

thanks,
Ray

RuGlu6 04-14-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semaka (Post 705135)
Thx :)
I guess i should provide some more info. I would like something that would allow me to grow the majority of corals.
I did not look into the AI sols. Are they enough to cover the whole tank 48/18 ?
How would they stack against the other two?

To grow "majority of corals" all you need is two of these for about $320 +shipping and no need to spend $1500.

They are 3W LED's and this will be plenty of light for 48"x18" tank.
If you want it to be more blue you can get one of these and zip tie it to the central brace of the tank just above the surface horizontally.

You can't dim or control these but hey, no need to spend big $$$ ether.
New LED's are popping out like mushrooms almost every 2 weeks now LOL.
You never know what will come out next and what will get obsolete soon. So why invest so much in something so rapidly evolving?

jmtcw

04V10 04-14-2012 01:05 PM

Hey guys,

For what it's worth I'm running the Mazarra S series on my 20 gal. I really like them and didn't feel like I spent too much, as they do what I need and they are easy to program, colors are great. I wish I could have gotten the P series for a bit more color adjusting, but they are good enough to grow pretty much anything.

However, I am going to bo converting to a Radion setup...when the wife doesn't notice...lol

wmcinnes 04-14-2012 02:06 PM

I have 2 AI Sol Superblues on my 90. Shimmers like no tomorrow.

troni 04-14-2012 02:16 PM

ya most of us know that already some are still left behind. good growth from your sols too?

MarkoD 04-14-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgerchow (Post 705203)
I would wait til next week and check out the release of the new Kissel A350 led spotlights. Been doing a lot of research on the current A150, and they seem pretty impressive. You would probably only need 2 units for your . I will be replacing my MH with a pair of A350s as soon as they're available. The only led that can closely replicate MH, including the tank shimmer

Honestly. Ai sols are the best balance between quality ,features and price.

And they grow corals like crazy. I've had more sps growth in 5 months with sol
LEDs than I had in 1 year with metal halides

Nano 04-14-2012 02:37 PM

I would personally stay away from these "EVO" strips, they look to me like a "Made in Mexico" type of cheap Marineland knock off, and even marineland isnt up to par for saltwater..
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuGlu6 (Post 705228)
To grow "majority of corals" all you need is two of these for about $320 +shipping and no need to spend $1500.

They are 3W LED's and this will be plenty of light for 48"x18" tank.
If you want it to be more blue you can get one of these and zip tie it to the central brace of the tank just above the surface horizontally.

You can't dim or control these but hey, no need to spend big $$$ ether.
New LED's are popping out like mushrooms almost every 2 weeks now LOL.
You never know what will come out next and what will get obsolete soon. So why invest so much in something so rapidly evolving?

jmtcw

i know I have only had mine for a short type, but my zoas seem to love my leds, I have more growth (even with the crash) in the last 2 months then i did in 6 in my old nano under t5s.
Quote:

Originally Posted by troni (Post 705248)
ya most of us know that already some are still left behind. good growth from your sols too?

Semaka 04-14-2012 03:41 PM

I have a couple more weeks to decide but I'm still on the edge.
could I get away with 2 Mazarras P series in a 90g (48/18/24)?