Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Ontario (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How many people here live in Ottawa? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72170)

vic622 03-13-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf nut (Post 598120)
I presume you work for the government, they take over everything.

Don't we need representation in every Riding before we can do that? :wink:

bob the nano 03-14-2011 09:26 PM

I live in pembroke but i buy all my livestock in ottawa

M Woodhill 05-31-2011 11:23 AM

Here's one more joining!

hey, guys, I'm Mike moving to the town pretty soon

happy to c all of u and wanna get more info about tank setup, hehe

i'm gonna bring my lighting cross the border----presuming theres no problem huh

but how'bout custom tank making blablabla

dont wanna carry the entire tank over cuz its too heavy:wink:

M Woodhill 05-31-2011 11:39 AM

besides, if any buget info or suggestion, plz tell me in any means

i wanna set up a some 100 gallon tank

36L* 36W* 20L

with a sump where the refugium is set in

30L* 15W* 10L (five parts inlet to skimmer to DSB to refugium to outlet)

a metal stand with extra fixture to my lights---kinda simple designing

so is it easy to find out a costum tank maker? how do they do and charge it?

so huge thanx as heavy as the stones of the liberty statue----the right one in my city not in vegas!

seanbarron 08-30-2011 03:37 PM

Hello Ottawa Folks,
I am just starting up my tank, buying a cheap used biocube that needs lots of cleaning and work on it. Hoping to get that done soon. Anyone have some cheat i can have?

MrGoodbytes 03-10-2012 05:40 PM

I just moved to Ottawa from London in January. I'm in Vanier. I just set my 20L back up since almost everything died in the move and I had to re-cycle my rock. I'm currently working on a 75 gallon build too. I'm so broke! lol

Looking forward to meeting some Ottawa reefers in the future!

vic622 03-10-2012 08:42 PM

Welcome to Ottawa & to the neighbourhood - I'm just on the other side of Beechwood from you!
Too bad about the die-off. I've had that happen in a move, too :sad:
Let me know if you need a hand with the 75gal build.
Vic
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoodbytes (Post 692148)
I just moved to Ottawa from London in January. I'm in Vanier. I just set my 20L back up since almost everything died in the move and I had to re-cycle my rock. I'm currently working on a 75 gallon build too. I'm so broke! lol

Looking forward to meeting some Ottawa reefers in the future!

MrGoodbytes 03-11-2012 09:16 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Vic. We must be almost neighbours. I'm on Montreal myself.

The move didn't go according to plan and someone put my rock bucket in the back of the truck, where it sat overnight. Just one of the blunders lol.

I see you have a 75 too. Do you have a build/tank thread with the details? I wouldn't mind comparing notes. Also, how do you find the reef shops in Ottawa? I've been to Aqua Valley and he has some really nice stuff there. Picked up an acan frag yesterday.

Graeme

vic622 03-11-2012 09:33 PM

Hi Graeme,

Ouch! How long was the rock in the truck & what was the outside temp?

When I set up my tank a year ago, the rock had been in plastic garbage bags for four (4) months without water but with some newspaper. it did need to be cured, but surprisingly, it didn't kill everything (almost tough!).

The stores in town vary and each seems to have their niche - but I agree Az has usually got good stock and v. good prices. His frag tanks are almost complete so he'll have tons of frags pretty soon, I'm sure!

I do have a build thread, but the links to it (its on OVAS' site) seem to be broken?!?! I'll have to work on that... Right now I'm trying to get my sump up and running in a city that has absolutely no stock on plumbing fittings :twised:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoodbytes (Post 692521)
Thanks for the welcome, Vic. We must be almost neighbours. I'm on Montreal myself.

The move didn't go according to plan and someone put my rock bucket in the back of the truck, where it sat overnight. Just one of the blunders lol.

I see you have a 75 too. Do you have a build/tank thread with the details? I wouldn't mind comparing notes. Also, how do you find the reef shops in Ottawa? I've been to Aqua Valley and he has some really nice stuff there. Picked up an acan frag yesterday.

Graeme

MrGoodbytes 03-17-2012 05:40 PM

The rock was outside overnight, when it went down to -9 (I checked). The gravel bed from my planted setup froze solid :P. How long did your rock take to cycle/cure once you set everything up?

I was back at Aqua Valley last Saturday and he had a ton of mouth-watering frags there. That was the first time I'd seen LEDs in person (not counting the Marineland ones) and man do they make the colours pop. I'm much more excited now to get my own built.

Let me know if you discover anything in your plumbing search. I am going to be planning mine in the coming months (or weeks, depending) and will need some things. Also, any idea where to get something like a 55 gallon bin in Ottawa?