Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   320g build/journey/experiment DIY :-) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66154)

Greenmaster 07-06-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gee (Post 532599)
Taggin along :mrgreen:

Glad to have you here

Now I'm up to date... Let the questions fly http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/imag...on_biggrin.gif... or let people observe in silence heh

snow1 07-06-2010 07:29 AM

That is some true dedication right there to this hobby. This is going to be a great looking setup....I'm in awe.:bounce:

Greenmaster 07-06-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow1 (Post 532608)
That is some true dedication right there to this hobby. This is going to be a great looking setup....I'm in awe.:bounce:

The story behind it is I had a tank about 6 years ago... then we got to move from Brooks AB, back to my hometown of Courtenay BC. Well I knew that I couldn't try and set-up here for at least 6 months so I sold all my fish and LR back to the LFS. When I took my tank out of storage it was cracked and I didn't have the money at the time to buy a new tank (it was a 70ish gallon tank). Fast forward to September of 2009. I'm riding home on my motorcycle and some lady comes out of a side road going way to fast and not stopping till she is in the middle of the road... only being about 15 feet in front of my I had no time to do anything, so I rammed right into the side of the van. Got hurt and totaled the bike. Wife says "NO MORE MOTORCYCLE!" but she says I can do what I want with the payout as long as I don't buy a new bike. We took a holiday and I get my tank.

Got to love lousy drivers :D

snow1 07-06-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenmaster (Post 532610)
The story behind it is I had a tank about 6 years ago... then we got to move from Brooks AB, back to my hometown of Courtenay BC. Well I knew that I couldn't try and set-up here for at least 6 months so I sold all my fish and LR back to the LFS. When I took my tank out of storage it was cracked and I didn't have the money at the time to buy a new tank (it was a 70ish gallon tank). Fast forward to September of 2009. I'm riding home on my motorcycle and some lady comes out of a side road going way to fast and not stopping till she is in the middle of the road... only being about 15 feet in front of my I had no time to do anything, so I rammed right into the side of the van. Got hurt and totaled the bike. Wife says "NO MORE MOTORCYCLE!" but she says I can do what I want with the payout as long as I don't buy a new bike. We took a holiday and I get my tank.

Got to love lousy drivers :D

LOL, never thought you got this tank from a story like that.:lol:
Good though for getting back into the hobby, plus keeping fish tanks are WAY cooler than having a bike.:mrgreen:

Greenmaster 07-06-2010 08:31 AM

Both are good at releasing stress... although both can add stress too lol... all and all though I will spend more time at home and less time on the road and that's good for the whole family. Plus kids really enjoy a fish tank.

mseepman 07-06-2010 03:38 PM

This tank will be very interesting...crazy depth. Hope you have long arms...lol.

Greenmaster 07-06-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 532635)
This tank will be very interesting...crazy depth. Hope you have long arms...lol.

Ya that's what is the biggest difference from other large builds... is the depth.
My arms are pretty long... but to reach the bottom I need goggles and a snorkel... my whole shoulder and head have to go in but the rest stays out... I think... I still don't have the tank on the stand so I will have to wait and see.

Chaloupa 07-06-2010 04:57 PM

Tagging along...excellent build!

SeaHorse_Fanatic 07-06-2010 04:59 PM

At that depth, anything falling to the sandbed is staying on the sandbed (at least until you feel the urge to get soaked).

I find my 29" depth to be plenty deep. BTW, don't get those pickerupper things from the LFS. They rust out & break within weeks we found. The cheap dollarstore ones (red & black in colour) have lasted for months. Go figure.

Greenmaster 07-06-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaloupa (Post 532649)
Tagging along...excellent build!

Thanks hope you enjoy it :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic (Post 532650)
At that depth, anything falling to the sandbed is staying on the sandbed (at least until you feel the urge to get soaked).

I find my 29" depth to be plenty deep. BTW, don't get those pickerupper things from the LFS. They rust out & break within weeks we found. The cheap dollarstore ones (red & black in colour) have lasted for months. Go figure.

I plan on making my own "pickerupper" (tongs) out of acrylic. I'll post pics once they are made... they may not work but I'm going to try.